How Many Chances Do You Give An Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jeanetta Delridge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanetta-delridge.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: How Many Chances Do You Give An Author?

Post by Jeanetta Delridge »

If the book doesn’t grab me in within the first few chapters more than likely I would just end it there and be done with it. I would say that id like to give the author another chance because some books are better than other but realistically if the first one I do not like I won’t read another.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

For me maximum chances is two. For example i despise Herland By Charlotte Gilman Perkins, but the Yellow Wallpaper is significant work of fiction.
Brad McLean
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Deep Sleep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brad-mclean.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Brad McLean »

Generally, an author gets only one chance from me. Even if a book was "okay", I probably won't read another by them as I prefer to read compelling books.

There are exceptions:
If I receive great recommendations for another book, I may try one more time;
If I become invested enough in the story to want to know the outcome of a series, I will finish the series;
If the author is "famous", I may give them one more chance.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

I don't give more than two chances because I believe that all other works of the author will be similar to the two I read.
Xylina Graf
Favorite Book: The Giving Tree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xylina-graf.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Xylina Graf »

I tend to not read any more books from a particular author if I didn't like one of them. Their style remains the same throughout all of their books, so I don't see myself enjoying any others.
Ebets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by Ebets »

It's hard to say because it could be the way they write. For instance, I used to really enjoy Francine Rivers. However, the last few books of hers that I read was a bit too much for me and I had to take a break. I want to give her another chance though since I had liked her books up to a certain point.
Holly Goncalves
Favorite Book: Lost Connections
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-goncalves.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Holly Goncalves »

I recently read a book where although I liked the author's writing style, it was so terribly flawed it was difficult to read. In this case I would give the author one more chance - mainly out of curiosity - and see if they can put out an edited book. I don't understand how unedited books make it to market.
Quizlit4Stephen
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Quizlit4Stephen »

I would really need to dislike the first book to be one and done, two chances is probably the norm, I also might be guilty of sometimes sticking with authors longer than I should
T J 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-j-6.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by T J 6 »

I’m a one and done with an author. If I don’t like their writing style, I’m out for sure. Usually if something is well-written I can handle any content.
Aliyaa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aliyaa »

Michael_Cook143 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 16:27 If I've read books by them before and loved them, I'd probably give them a few chances if the next book doesn't fit me. If it's an author I've never tried before and I can't finish the book then I'm done.
Hi guys
I completely understand your perspective. Familiar authors who have impressed us in the past deserve a bit more leeway if one book doesn't resonate with us.
Aliyaa

Post by Aliyaa »

Katherine Powell-Polkey wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 17:16 It mainly depends on just how bad dislike the book. Usually I will follow the three strike rule. Yes, I am a baseball fan. If I absolutely hate a book, I won't read anything else by that author. But if I just can't get into it, then I'll try a different book.
Hi guys
When it comes to books, I have a personal rule influenced by my love for baseball. If I truly despise a book, I won't give that author another chance. However, if I simply struggle to connect with it, I'm willing to explore other works by the same author.
Aliyaa

Post by Aliyaa »

T J 6 wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 13:46 I’m a one and done with an author. If I don’t like their writing style, I’m out for sure. Usually if something is well-written I can handle any content.
Hi guys
While personal preferences vary, I understand the importance of connecting with an author's writing style. It can greatly enhance or hinder our reading experience. If a piece is well-written, it demonstrates the author's mastery regardless of the content.free fire name
Emma Ussel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-ussel.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Emma Ussel »

I usually don't even notice the author's name if the book premise and concept interests me... But I'm happy to drop anything I don't like just as fast!
Jennifer Cowhig
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-cowhig.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door by Ali Master
Reading Device: B0775717ZP
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Jennifer Cowhig »

I usually am a one and done as there are just so many other choices. There are exceptions to that such as if they are a classic author or the book is well regarded and I like the premise even if the author hasn’t won me over in the past. I am more willing to give an author another chance if I like there writing style, but have a hard time getting into the plot.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

If I don't like an author's style the first time, I won't be reading their book again. But for those authors whose books I'd enjoyed previously, I won't be too hasty in dropping them. I will pick their next book... maybe this book will be great...
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “Discuss Authors”