What happened to JK Rowling?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
User avatar
Folcro
Posts: 21
Joined: 24 Mar 2017, 18:37
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What happened to JK Rowling?

Post by Folcro »

She's also become increasingly political over the years. I'm not saying whether I personally agree with her sentiments, but it has built a heavier, in some cases toxic atmpsphere (not necessarily by her own fault) where once she was surrounded by whimsy and imagination.

User avatar
Eclecticmama
Posts: 153
Joined: 03 Apr 2019, 16:45
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Eclecticmama »

I believe the fame of being the author of being one of the most famous fantasy authors got to her head, especially after the movies were made. I grew up with the Harry Potter series and I loved them! But JK Rowling is not someone who I am a fan of, if that makes sense. I believe she sold the soul of the Harry Potter series to fame and fortune, and seems desperate to stay relevant by dropping these "shocking" statements every now and again. She seems to like the drama of it all, which disgusts me.

User avatar
Jyockel08
Posts: 190
Joined: 08 Sep 2019, 13:48
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

Someone said she should have stopped with the ending of Deathly Hallows, because the epilogue was ridiculous. Now I get it. I canโ€™t stand how sheโ€™s ruining what was good as it once was. She needs to take a break.

User avatar
TasiWin
Posts: 201
Joined: 11 Jul 2020, 17:14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

Lady-of-Literature wrote: โ†‘
07 May 2020, 09:54
So, though i have seen the Potter series, I have not read the books. However, I do admire JK not only for her work but also what she went through to get where she is. That being said, yes, I do think she has added too much into the story in an attempt to stay relevant or like Falling4Ever said, "...a cash grab..."

One of the underrated needs that a fantasy story needs is the ability to let the reader fill in the blanks for themselves, like fanons and fanfic. The fans can add some amazing insight for everyone to enjoy and since its not canon, those who disagree with can simply ignore it. Its a fantasy with in a fantasy!

However, I think we have to consider just how much power she still has over the magical world. Remember, Harry Potter has a net worth of around ~$50.5 billions if you include the original book/movies, DVDs and toys, etc. No production studio is gonna give that up willingly much less silently. Its like Star Wars of Star Trek, we could have ended those series years ago because the stories are pretty much done, but money wise they have struck a cord with a global audience. So in order to keep this up, JK will have to continue adding to this world, who knows, in the future we might have a whole series to include all of the magical schools like the one in Japan, Uganda, and Brazil.

I'm curious. What did she go through?
Anyway, I agree with you. It could even be out of her hands, the decisions surrounding the stories

User avatar
Lady-of-Literature
Posts: 265
Joined: 24 Dec 2018, 20:36
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

TasiWin wrote: โ†‘
18 Jul 2020, 14:33
Lady-of-Literature wrote: โ†‘
07 May 2020, 09:54
So, though i have seen the Potter series, I have not read the books. However, I do admire JK not only for her work but also what she went through to get where she is. That being said, yes, I do think she has added too much into the story in an attempt to stay relevant or like Falling4Ever said, "...a cash grab..."

One of the underrated needs that a fantasy story needs is the ability to let the reader fill in the blanks for themselves, like fanons and fanfic. The fans can add some amazing insight for everyone to enjoy and since its not canon, those who disagree with can simply ignore it. Its a fantasy with in a fantasy!

However, I think we have to consider just how much power she still has over the magical world. Remember, Harry Potter has a net worth of around ~$50.5 billions if you include the original book/movies, DVDs and toys, etc. No production studio is gonna give that up willingly much less silently. Its like Star Wars of Star Trek, we could have ended those series years ago because the stories are pretty much done, but money wise they have struck a cord with a global audience. So in order to keep this up, JK will have to continue adding to this world, who knows, in the future we might have a whole series to include all of the magical schools like the one in Japan, Uganda, and Brazil.

I'm curious. What did she go through?
Anyway, I agree with you. It could even be out of her hands, the decisions surrounding the stories
She mentioned in some speech, I can recall which one, how she was at her lowest when she decided to dedicate herself to finishing a book. A single mother, newly divorced, and exceptionally poor, all she had was an old typewriter and an idea. She failed in every area of life before she hit the jackpot.

User avatar
TasiWin
Posts: 201
Joined: 11 Jul 2020, 17:14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

Lady-of-Literature wrote: โ†‘
20 Jul 2020, 09:41
TasiWin wrote: โ†‘
18 Jul 2020, 14:33
Lady-of-Literature wrote: โ†‘
07 May 2020, 09:54
So, though i have seen the Potter series, I have not read the books. However, I do admire JK not only for her work but also what she went through to get where she is. That being said, yes, I do think she has added too much into the story in an attempt to stay relevant or like Falling4Ever said, "...a cash grab..."

One of the underrated needs that a fantasy story needs is the ability to let the reader fill in the blanks for themselves, like fanons and fanfic. The fans can add some amazing insight for everyone to enjoy and since its not canon, those who disagree with can simply ignore it. Its a fantasy with in a fantasy!

However, I think we have to consider just how much power she still has over the magical world. Remember, Harry Potter has a net worth of around ~$50.5 billions if you include the original book/movies, DVDs and toys, etc. No production studio is gonna give that up willingly much less silently. Its like Star Wars of Star Trek, we could have ended those series years ago because the stories are pretty much done, but money wise they have struck a cord with a global audience. So in order to keep this up, JK will have to continue adding to this world, who knows, in the future we might have a whole series to include all of the magical schools like the one in Japan, Uganda, and Brazil.

I'm curious. What did she go through?
Anyway, I agree with you. It could even be out of her hands, the decisions surrounding the stories
She mentioned in some speech, I can recall which one, how she was at her lowest when she decided to dedicate herself to finishing a book. A single mother, newly divorced, and exceptionally poor, all she had was an old typewriter and an idea. She failed in every area of life before she hit the jackpot.
Wow! I did not know all that. She is a strong woman then. When she had no other option that's when things worked out for her.
How am I hearing this today?

User avatar
breannamcd
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 Jul 2020, 17:34
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by breannamcd »

i love the books and movies, despite some of the more negative aspects within her writing, however i completely hate jk rowling. her political and personal views have made me lose my respect for her due to her hatefulness. additionally, i agree that she should've stopped adding to the book series after it finished because her attempts to remain relevant with new additions seems desperate and annoying. I understand the rough road she took to achieve her fame, however now she is wrapped up in it all.

Crisis_12444
Posts: 15
Joined: 24 Jun 2020, 12:04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crisis-12444.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Crisis_12444 »

I agree with you. It's really is a bit sad to utilize the story and always change the cannon. But I still do love Harry Potter.

User avatar
Je Suis Ella
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Jul 2020, 21:53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-je-suis-ella.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Je Suis Ella »

I totally agree. I hate how she changes canon. Specifically when she got called out for lack of diversity in her books. It's so annoying that's she's trying to say that all of the readers got her intentions wrong and she actually wrote diverse books, but come on. It's a bit insulting that she would say, "oh but Dumbledore's gay" and not actually portray any experiences in the books where he stated he was a homosexual man. Also the cursed child belongs on archive of our own, not in the canon.

User avatar
DakotesMahGotes
Posts: 11
Joined: 25 Apr 2020, 18:29
Currently Reading: Tolkien: A Miscellany
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotesmahgotes.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by DakotesMahGotes »

Folcro wrote: โ†‘
03 Jun 2020, 00:11
Personally, I think the problem was with her world. This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think the world Miss Rowling built was designed with the same longevity in mind as, say, Middle Earth.
That is an excellent point. Her entire universe focused on one person. Since that storyline has concluded, there is nowhere left to go.

lwahls2
Posts: 204
Joined: 05 Mar 2019, 17:44
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Dixie Bluz by Patrick W. Emmett

Post by lwahls2 »

I disagree. The Cursed Child was amazing and so full of twists and turns. Such a great way to keep the Harry Potter magic alive in my mind. I also love the Cormoran Strike series. Those are extremely well done and I've grown to love the characters.
Laura Martin

โ€œBecause when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.โ€
โ€• Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

EmmaZ
Posts: 86
Joined: 16 Jun 2020, 10:00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

Grace Bela wrote: โ†‘
14 May 2020, 19:57
I completely I agree. When she posts something on her Twitter page it just isn't the same as reading it in a book. I know she is trying to engage with readers outside of her books, but I don't find it very enjoyable. It often looks like she is merely trying to make her characters seem more relevant to the modern political climate when real world politics isn't a theme reflected anywhere in the Harry Potter series. I think it would be better if she would write new books on new topics within the same universe. I would love it if she wrote a series about the Marauders or the Hogwarts founders!
I agree! I would love to see a series about the Marauders, and maybe also about what happened to the main characters after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. (Although different from The Cursed Child).

shirleym89
Posts: 81
Joined: 09 Jun 2020, 15:52
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

I ask myself the same question. Perhaps she has decided to pursue other interests.

User avatar
Lia A
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Jun 2020, 17:22
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

I agree. I don't enjoy how she changes cannon because her books were called out for whatever reason. I like the Harry Potter books and movies but not when JK inserts her political and personal views too much.
โ€œ๐“ž๐“ท๐“ฎ ๐“ถ๐“พ๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ต๐”€๐“ช๐”‚๐“ผ ๐“ซ๐“ฎ ๐“ฌ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ซ๐“ธ๐“ธ๐“ด๐“ผ, ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ ๐”€๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฝ ๐“ฒ๐“ผ ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ผ๐“ฒ๐“ญ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ถ, ๐“ฏ๐“ธ๐“ป ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ญ๐“ผ ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“น๐“ธ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐“ฌ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ ๐“พ๐“ผ.โ€
โ€• ๐“’๐“ช๐“ผ๐“ผ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ป๐“ช ๐“’๐“ต๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฎ, (๐“’๐“ต๐“ธ๐“ฌ๐“ด๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ด ๐“๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ต)

Varsha22
Posts: 31
Joined: 04 Aug 2020, 22:19
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Varsha22 »

Having grown up reading and loving Harry Potter, it really hurts my fragile little heart when J. K Rowling puts her foot in her mouth or approves content which is sub-par at best, and associates it with the Harry Potter franchise.
I know she's brilliant as an author but her personal biases stray me away from the awesome content.
I agree with you completely. Her writing gives children hope but her real life persona is hurting unimaginable number of souls.

Post Reply

Return to โ€œDiscuss Authorsโ€