J. R. R. Tolkien or C. S. Lewis??

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: J. R. R. Tolkien or C. S. Lewis??

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I loved the novels of C.S. Lewis years before I even begin on Tolkien's works. "The Horse and His Boy" used to be on my favorite list. But if I have to choose now, I will choose Tolkien. I guess as I grew up my taste shifted.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Alex Malone
Currently Reading: Rewilding Motherhood
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-malone.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Alex Malone »

They both conjure such wonderful worlds but in different ways, I'm not sure it is possible for me to choose! I guess I'd go LOTR for worldbuilding over Narnia, but Narnia before The Hobbit, but then there are all their other works which are great too...
Leaf by Niggle and The Great Divorce are two of my favourite short stories. Definitely worth reading, particularly if you appreciate the religious influence in their writings.
Prakhar Awasthi
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prakhar-awasthi.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Prakhar Awasthi »

J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were both famous authors, and they were also good friends. They wrote different kinds of stories.

J.R.R. Tolkien is best known for writing "The Lord of the Rings," a fantasy series set in a magical world. He created rich and detailed fantasy worlds, and his writing is known for its depth and complexity.

C.S. Lewis, on the other hand, is famous for writing "The Chronicles of Narnia," another series of fantasy books. His stories are more straightforward and easier to read, often with a Christian message.

Depends on your personal taste. If you like complex and detailed fantasy worlds, you might prefer Tolkien. If you prefer simpler, allegorical tales with Christian themes, you might like C.S. Lewis. It's all about what kind of stories you enjoy!
Jotham Timkang
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jotham Timkang »

I prefer C.S. Lewis over J.R.R. Tolkien because he crafted the 'Chronicles of Narnia' series so skillfully. He has a unique way of subtly introducing spiritual themes in a children's story, seamlessly blending fiction with nonfiction-like elements. The characters and plot immediately capture your attention, creating a narrative that is both imaginative and thought-provoking.
João Ramos
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

That's a difficult question to answer. At different stages of my life, I havé changed my opinion. It would be unfair to any of them to choose just one.

Return to “Discuss Authors”