Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
bellalisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Re: Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

Post by bellalisa »

Stephen King for me too. Love his stories!
Shane Lucey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shane-lucey.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shane Lucey »

As a young reader it was either Roald Dahl or R.L. Stine since Goosebumps was in its heyday at the time. I was a bit surprised when my son brought home a Goosebumps book from the library the other day; turns out kids still read that series!
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

Roald Dahl for me. I found a book compiling all the excerpts from his different books. I won't forget that until now. I used to buy his book when I'm employed.
Ebets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by Ebets »

I would have to say Kristin Hannah or Nicholas Sparks. I haven't read all of Kristin's books yet, but I have read most of them. Nicholas Sparks is not my favorite author, but I seem to find a lot of his books for cheap so I can't pass that up when that happens.
Rebekah Patton 1
Currently Reading: Accolades of Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekah-patton-1.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Rebekah Patton 1 »

Terry Brooks, hands down. His books really turned my love of reading from a spark into a raging wildfire during my childhood.
RainyNightDreamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainynightdreamer.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by RainyNightDreamer »

Iris Murdoch and Agatha Christie :lol:
T J 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-j-6.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by T J 6 »

Well my first read everything author was Dr. Seuss when I was in the 1st grade. I also read all the Judy Blume books as well as The Little House on the Prairie series. As I matured I fell in love with Stephen King’s writing because it is so well done. I went through a Dean Koonz phase as well as a John Grisham stage. The last two have disappointed me a little recently.
simoncm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by simoncm »

Agatha Christie. I saw The Mousetrap as my ninth birthday treat (in 1958) and was captivated. I'd collect her books from jumble sales and second-hand shops - a few years ago I lost a load when the roof in my outside den collapsed, and I've since replaced them all (all the Christies, anyway!) And there are many I've read more than once - knowing "whodunit" doesn't spoil it for me at all!
Ash Subra
Favorite Book: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-subra.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ash Subra »

The first author that I came a cross was Jane Auste. During high school I started to read Pride and Prejudice. Later I read most of Jane Auste books. Is was amazing to read her work.
Quizlit4Stephen
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Quizlit4Stephen »

When I was a young pup I read all the Enid Blyton books, as an adult Kurt Vonnegut
piajmitchell12+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by piajmitchell12+ »

Holly Black... without a doubt. I remember finishing The Cruel Prince, and I was hooked. Even some of Holly's shorter stories made it on my checked off "To Read" list. :techie-studyingbrown:
Cheryl_B
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cheryl_B »

My first author that I had to read everything they had as I was hooked, was Sherrilyn Kenyon, Dark Hunter series. Secondly, Laurell K. Hamilton, Anita Blake series. I am starting to read her Meredith Gentry books now too. I also like Charlaine Harris, Sookie Stackhouse series (Before it was on HBO). Right now, I am reading everything of a series by Diana Gabaldon, Outlander series. When I was younger, I got hooked on the older Harlequin Romances and for Christmas the one year, my grandfather's girlfriend gave me 2 huge boxes of them, lol. :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown:
asrb_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by asrb_ »

Conan-Doyle, Cassandra Clare and Stephen King. I love them.
Micah_4
Favorite Author: D.E. Carlson
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 12
fav_author_id: 281166

Post by Micah_4 »

Jennifer A Nielson. She wrote the Ascendance Series and does historical fiction as well and I can't get enough of it. The Ascendance Series was when I first learned her name and realized I had read (and loved) Resistance a World War II historical fiction novel that tore my heart. After that, I couldn't get enough. I admire how well she weaves the plot together, bringing up details now that will become relevant later and never letting the threads drop. She got me scared for the character's life in a book where I already knew they survived until the end. I would recommend her to just about anyone.
G Duda
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-duda.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by G Duda »

Everything everything? Or a particular type of everything? Cause I've definitely read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories (all 56 short stories & 4 novellas) in the span of three months, but I don't really have the will or patience to read the rest of Doyle's work that doesn't relate to the Great Detective. Similarly, I've read all of the Witcher books, am patiently awaiting the newest one, & I'm very excited to read the Hussite Trilogy, but I don't care for the rest of Sapkowski's work outside of the Witcher & the Hussite books. I've had the same with Fablehaven by Brandon Mull, Sebastian Darke by Phillip Cavaney, & Septimus Heap by Angie Sage. Even with the Discworld books, Sir Terry wrote things that weren't Discworld related that I probably won't read. Maybe Neil Gaiman, though. He's one author I could see myself reading all of his available books. And N. D Stevenson, oddly enough I have his memoir & I adore Nimona, so maybe I would end up reading Lumberjanes eventually. Otherwise, I'm more of a 'book first, author second' person. I want to read a book because it appeals to me, not because the author is famous or they wrote something I've read before.

Return to “Discuss Authors”