Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Claire Twy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

Post by Claire Twy »

Totoro wrote: 23 Sep 2013, 12:52 As my children are staring to develope their own tastes in reading it is interesting to see what are their "must read" series. My 8th grader plowed through the Warriors books, by Erin Hunter, year ago, but still always knows exactly when the next one is due out. My 5th grader discovered Harry Potter this year and is on Book 7 as we speak. For me Madeline l'Engle was the first Author that I remember going to the library and working through her entire section; however, Anne McCaffrey was the first Author that I ever found myself dying to buy another book from.

I am curious what others just had to read or buy.
Frances Hardinge for sure. Most novels written in the fantasy genre merely tiptoe into the world of fantasy, but her books really fling open the doors and dive into the chasm. I always love how creative and original her works are, with each new book constantly surprising me with its ingenuity. All her books are so unique, yet instantly recognisable because no one could come up with something so fantastical as her. Although her most well-known book is The Lie Tree, my favourites are A Face Like Glass and Twilight Robbery.
Ruth Emmanuel
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ruth Emmanuel »

Lisa Kleypas gave me my first taste of Historical Romance and she's the first author I had to read everything by.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Alice Feeney and the dynamic duo Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, I have read everything they've written and I'm waiting for a new novel from Alice Feeney coming in August. I love these thriller/psychological thriller authors so much!!
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by TusharJoshi »

That would be Sidney Sheldon. Read all his books including his autobiography. Phenomenal suspense thrillers that kept me up at night. The fast-paced plot and captivating characters he created, will be etched din my memories forever!
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Hans Christian Andersen, Beverly Cleary, Brothers Grimm
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Ruqayyah Rafeeq
Favorite Book: Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Currently Reading: The Fine Print
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruqayyah-rafeeq.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ruqayyah Rafeeq »

I want to read everything by Elmore Leonard, they only sell a few of his books in the UAE. :oops: I have three of them, so I have most of his books in this country. I'd love to have his book "Fire In The Hole", I admire his ten rules of writing. He knew how to write cool dialogue. :techie-reference:
Andy1
Favorite Book: Divergent
Currently Reading: Growing Up Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andy1.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by Andy1 »

The first for me was Jenny Han, she's one of my favorite, if not my favorite YA author. I started out with the To all the boys trilogy and I got hooked, though she hasn't written so many books. Now, I'm hooked on Susan May Warren, I absolutely love her style of writing and she's a boss when it comes to writing suspense filled thrillers with just the right touch of romance.
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
Bookworm336
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bookworm336 »

I would have to say Mark Twain and Edgar Rice Burroughs. I grew up reading their books and absolutely loved their style of writing. Mark Twain is hilarious, my favorite book of his has to be "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". Edgar Rice Burroughs has several good books, I love the Tarzan series, and I can't pick a favorite of his books.
natalia_plesca
Currently Reading: "LOGJAM of a Beauteous MIND"
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by natalia_plesca »

That would be J. K. Rowling. The first book was Harry Potter and was in love with it so I read everything I found on Rowling. I read articles, news, everything. I was a big fan of her.
FLbookie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by FLbookie »

Wow that goes back a long, long time! Off of the top of my head, the first that come to mind are Franklin W. DIxon and Carolyn Keene - The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. :)
Abigail Shoaff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-shoaff.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by Abigail Shoaff »

Like some others have said, I, too, loved J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series as a child. I discovered the books when I was in third grade and had just moved to a new school. My new school had a huge library, and I read the Harry Potter books back to back! I had never experienced world-building and comprehensive character dynamics to such an extent as was presented to me in the Harry Potter books. Before Harry, my best friend was Junie B. Jones from the children's book series by Barbara Park.
Winter44
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter44.html
Latest Review: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1) by Alex Zadeh

Post by Winter44 »

Enid Blyton! As a kid, I read all of the Famous Five series, the Elizabeth Allen books, most of her short stories, The Secret Seven, and plenty of other books written by her like The Boy Next Door! Those books started it l for me.
Le-nic Pretorius
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-nic-pretorius.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Le-nic Pretorius »

I am such a Stephen King fan and have been collecting his books throughout the years. My collection is almost complete! I just have to read everything.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the World
Bookshelf Size: 2286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Shot Not Heard Around the World by Charlie damitz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 17%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

Well, likely by one that only wrote one books so far :wink2: Besides that I am not sure if I accidentally read through one author's work but right now I am trying to read through Brandon Sanderson. I hope I can read faster than he can write. :techie-studyingbrown:
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

LeeMa wrote: 23 Sep 2013, 13:33 Arthur Conan-Doyle. I read all Sherlock Holmes stories by the age of 15.
Same for me. I was hooked on Sherlock from the beginning. That got me started with Agatha Christie too.

Return to “Discuss Authors”