Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Neleh403
Favorite Author: Diane Chamberlain
Favorite Book: The stand by Stephen King
Currently Reading: Of mice and men
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neleh403.html
Latest Review: "Plymouth Discovery" by Bill Brown
fav_author_id: 2413

Re: Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by

Post by Neleh403 »

As a child it had to be Enid Blyton. Now as an adult it's difficult to choose. Probably Lesley Pearce, Diane Chamberlain and Stephen King.
Latest Review: "Plymouth Discovery" by Bill Brown
evilneko
Favorite Book: Catcher in the rye
Currently Reading: forever
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by evilneko »

For me it would have to be Terry Pratchet. I read practically all of the early disc world novels and it was really amazing since when I was a teen there weren't all the supernatural ya novels out there (that's more or less the only thing I read today). I found his books highly funny - yes there were part where I actually laughed out loud - and very imaginative. I also admit that he greatly influenced my writing style as a kid: we had to write a lot of essays and such in school and for the love of me it was hard to write with adding a pun or a bit of sarcasm here and there, and that was a little unusual for our teachers. Besides the point I always recommend him to people, not everyone will like his style because he does have buckets of British humor in there. Eventually I grew out of it since he started repeating himself and it became predictable and less funny (or maybe I just grew up), but bottom line I recommend him to anyone who lives reading, because the man did create something rather amazing. Ps my mom was the one who recommended my first TP book - guards! guards! - so thank you mom!!
Doublehawk

Post by Doublehawk »

Brian Jacques was the first author I read where I had a compulsion to read everything he wrote. I made it through the first 7 Redwall books as they were published, and then gave up.

As an adult, I will read anything written by David McCullough.
yvonnes74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonnes74.html

Post by yvonnes74 »

The first was Francesca Lia Block. I have grown out of her books now, but they are wonderful fairy tales. Now I am addicted to Kim Harrison.
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

The first, but not the last, author I had to read everything by, was Jane Austen.
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
gstein91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gstein91.html

Post by gstein91 »

It was probably Dr. Seuss lol. But as an adult it was definitely Kurt Vonnegut. The summer after I read Slaughter House Five I binge read his complete works, it was a good summer.
naook1

Post by naook1 »

Issac Assimov was the first author to really grabbed my attention as a teenager.
He managed to create a world so visual I could see every inch of the landscape in my mind's eye.
If I had a complaint about Assimov it would be that as I aged his writing became less relevant to me.
To that end, Robert A. Heinlein picked up where Assimov left off.
gabgobblr
Currently Reading: the woman who died a lot
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabgobblr.html

Post by gabgobblr »

LunaRowan wrote:The Boxcar Children were by far my siblings and my favorite books growing up! I have a meet so my kids will be able to read them one day. :)
My sister was in love with those books! I think she made it all the way to the 100th novel(I only read up to the 5th...). I personally preferred A to Z mysteries and the magic tree house.
marissa_in
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-in.html

Post by marissa_in »

I read the Among the Hidden series. :)
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Post by Katherine E Wall »

L.M. Montgomery. Between the ages of nine and eleven, I think I read every single book our library had. Interestingly enough, Anne of Green Gables was probably my least favorite. Although, when I took a children's literature course in University, I did gain new appreciation, but for sheer joy of reading as a child, it was not on the top of the list.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
Namrata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namrata.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Namrata »

Sidney sheldon was the first author I was fascinated with. I had to read all his books. Though his books were not in any particular series; when I had read one of his books, I simply had to get another. There a fascination in his style of writing. It drives right to the point. It is simplistic and beautiful. One gets transported to another world. He has an immense understanding of human nature and the workings of the human mind. His books are ageless and can be read over and over again.
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

When I was nine I read all the Swallows and Amazons books by Arthur Ransome one summer holidays and at thirteen it was all Jane Austen and the Brontes.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons
Sgalvez6

Post by Sgalvez6 »

I love Anita Stansfield I have to say I didn't find her until later in life but I now have everyone of her books and I love to read them and reread them. They are that go to kind of book when you want to read something with a happy ending!!!
Reader88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader88.html

Post by Reader88 »

I have to say J, K Rowling was the author that captivated my imagination with her, Harry Potter, series. I remember reading the first book in 3 days. I even went as far as to play hookie from school; just so I could stay in bed to read all day! The books were so well written that, as I read, it was like a movie playing in my mind. My imagination was on overload, and I was hooked, enthralled, addicted, and mesmerized. Not only is this the author that I read every single book in the series; this is the author that set up my love for books. The final book in the series, I read in a week and a half. I remember this because I was on vacation at the beach. Instead, I was at Hogwarts. :wink:
Dani226
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani226.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Dani226 »

Dean Koontz.

Return to “Discuss Authors”