What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

Post by Jenn+books »

Of the plays you've read, which is your favorite play, and why?

I haven't read as many of the comedies as I would like, so I'm mainly basing my answer on the tragedies. Of the tragedies, Hamlet is my favorite. I like the waffling in Hamlet's character, though many people seem to complain about his lack of activity. I think most people faced with a situation like that wouldn't just rush in and kill a king! (Or an older or superior person, since king's aren't as evident in our day and age.) Hamlet understandably is conflicted about the rightness of his thoughts and actions, wishes his life isn't as it seems to be, and puts off the horrible act he doesn't want to perform. I'm sure I would do the same thing in his position!
SarahPapesh
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpapesh.html
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn

Post by SarahPapesh »

I read some of Shakespeare's plays, but not all. I liked Hamlet more than Romeo and Juliet, but I really liked Macbeth. I think that Hamlet was very conflicted which made the play very interesting, but I prefer Macbeth.
Jenn+books

Post by Jenn+books »

SarahPapesh wrote:I read some of Shakespeare's plays, but not all. I liked Hamlet more than Romeo and Juliet, but I really liked Macbeth. I think that Hamlet was very conflicted which made the play very interesting, but I prefer Macbeth.
Macbeth is a good play--it's kind of like Hamlet from Claudius' (the usurper's) perspective.The dynamic between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth is interesting, to say the least. There are so few wives throughout Shakespeare's work, and Lady Macbeth is a very masculine wife. I think that Lady Macbeth empowered Macbeth, motivated him, to a large extent in the killing of the king. If Macbeth hadn't had Lady Macbeth there to motivate him to kill the king, he might have been much like Hamlet--waffling, reluctant, contemplative. Once he kills the king, though, and he has the power in his grasp, Macbeth becomes more and more power hungry, and also more and more nervous. Fear and power don't go together well, apparently. That's my take on Macbeth. What did you like about it?
MagicofBooks86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicofbooks86.html

Post by MagicofBooks86 »

It's hard for me to pick between Macbeth and Hamlet. I love both pretty much equally.

But I also do like A Midsummer's Night Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, and Twelfth Night. I really need to read some of Shakespeare's history plays (since I love the time period). I recently watched The Hollow Crown series (with Jeremy Irons, Ben Whishaw, and Tom Hiddleston) and that series got me interested to physically read the plays.
Jenn+books

Post by Jenn+books »

MagicofBooks86 wrote:It's hard for me to pick between Macbeth and Hamlet. I love both pretty much equally.

But I also do like A Midsummer's Night Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, and Twelfth Night. I really need to read some of Shakespeare's history plays (since I love the time period). I recently watched The Hollow Crown series (with Jeremy Irons, Ben Whishaw, and Tom Hiddleston) and that series got me interested to physically read the plays.
I really need to read more of the comedies! I do love MSND. Pericles was a pretty interesting one too. I was just thinking that after I finished King Lear a few days ago. I need some marriage instead of some death! As You Like It might be my next one.

Of the histories, Henry V might be my favorite (though I have to admit that the histories are harder to get into for me than the tragedies and comedies). That series looks great--I hadn't heard of it before. It might be just the ticket I need to get a little more connected with the histories. Someone said it's posted on YouTube, but I think I might try to rent it or buy it. It would be so much better to see it on a bigger screen. Thanks for the recommendation!
SarahPapesh
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpapesh.html

Post by SarahPapesh »

I have never read A Midsummer's Night Dream. I have been meaning to, but just haven't had the chance. (I am certain you all understand that the reading list just keeps getting longer and longer!)
Macbeth is a good play--it's kind of like Hamlet from Claudius' (the usurper's) perspective.The dynamic between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth is interesting, to say the least. There are so few wives throughout Shakespeare's work, and Lady Macbeth is a very masculine wife. I think that Lady Macbeth empowered Macbeth, motivated him, to a large extent in the killing of the king. If Macbeth hadn't had Lady Macbeth there to motivate him to kill the king, he might have been much like Hamlet--waffling, reluctant, contemplative. Once he kills the king, though, and he has the power in his grasp, Macbeth becomes more and more power hungry, and also more and more nervous. Fear and power don't go together well, apparently. That's my take on Macbeth. What did you like about it?
I did like Macbeth's wife - she was a good symbol of manipulation. Actually, what I liked the most about Macbeth was how Shakespeare used the witches to help tell the story. I love symbolism, and the witches definitely provided that! I have always seen the witches as a necessary evil in the play that, because of their words and actions, actually help the reader to see Macbeth as someone worthy of compassion, despite everything he does.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I'd probably say Hamlet although I very much like King Lear, Coriolanus, Othello and The Merchant ... it's difficult to choose just one.
It is easier to say which one I like least - that would be Midsummer Night's Dream
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Jenn+books

Post by Jenn+books »

Fran wrote:I'd probably say Hamlet although I very much like King Lear, Coriolanus, Othello and The Merchant ... it's difficult to choose just one.
It is easier to say which one I like least - that would be Midsummer Night's Dream
You're right--it is difficult to choose one. They are so different! It's interesting that you don't care for MSND. What do you not like about it? Most people like the play. Or, at least, it's one of the best-known plays today. That one, and maybe Hamlet.

-- 08 Oct 2013, 03:53 --
SarahPapesh wrote:I did like Macbeth's wife - she was a good symbol of manipulation. Actually, what I liked the most about Macbeth was how Shakespeare used the witches to help tell the story. I love symbolism, and the witches definitely provided that! I have always seen the witches as a necessary evil in the play that, because of their words and actions, actually help the reader to see Macbeth as someone worthy of compassion, despite everything he does.
You're right--Lady Macbeth is definitely a strong woman, though Shakespeare had to actually strip her femininity to do it. And the witches are an interesting aspect of the play. I think Macbeth had to already have the ambition and the potential for corruption within him for the witches' manipulation to provoke him to take the action he did, and his wife had a huge part to play in it, as well. I really like it that Shakespeare's characters are often complex characters--neither all good nor all bad--that, like Macbeth, they are often worthy of compassion, even if they do horrible things. Great point!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Jenn+books wrote:
Fran wrote:I'd probably say Hamlet although I very much like King Lear, Coriolanus, Othello and The Merchant ... it's difficult to choose just one.
You're right--it is difficult to choose one. They are so different! It's interesting that you don't care for MSND. What do you not like about it? Most people like the play. Or, at least, it's one of the best-known plays today. That one, and maybe Hamlet[/i

@Jenn
MSND just never did it for me - I think it's just that in the main I prefer the tragedies to the comedies (I know The Merchant is considered a comedy which I always found rather odd but I guess it's down to the different times!
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bananacat
Favorite Author: Too many to decide
Favorite Book: Any book on the market
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bananacat.html
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey

Post by Bananacat »

I haven't read many of Shakespeare's plays but out of the ones that I have read, I would have to say that A Midsummer Nights Dream and Henry V would have to be my favourites. I think this is due to the fact that I love the storyline in them. :-)
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey
Jenn+books

Post by Jenn+books »

Bananacat wrote:I haven't read many of Shakespeare's plays but out of the ones that I have read, I would have to say that A Midsummer Nights Dream and Henry V would have to be my favourites. I think this is due to the fact that I love the storyline in them. :-)
Even though I find it kind of hard to get into the history plays, I really liked Henry V. The band of brothers speech alone (and the ensuing battle) makes the entire play--and it's already a strong play! I also like that it has some comedy in it, with the French princess trying to learn English. Overall, it's a really good play. Have you seen the Kenneth Branagh version?
Leoch

Post by Leoch »

Admittedly I did not read all, and some I only watched, not read, but my own personal favorite is The Taming of the Shrew, which I think is his funniest work. Julius Caesar is also a favorite.
Jenn+books

Post by Jenn+books »

Taming of the Shrew--that's one I'm really looking forward to reading. I'm almost through with As You Like It right now, and thoroughly enjoying it. Yay! Back to comedies!
julianfroment

Post by julianfroment »

I have read all of Shakespeare's plays and sonnets and I would still have to go with that old favourite 'Romeo and Juliet'. Probably because I am an old Romantic, but I also find it humorous and filled with action. It has it all. Love, comedy and action.
RainbowSix

Post by RainbowSix »

MacBeth, Hamlet, King Lear and The Taming of the Shrew...even more so on the stage, Richard Burton in particular brought the Bard to life

Return to “Discuss Authors”