What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
claremace_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

Post by claremace_1 »

I have read a lot of Shakespeare's plays from school to university, and adaptations of his plays alongside the originals. I would have to say my favourite of his plays are The Merchant of Venice and Othello. The portrayal of different place settings are particularly interesting to me, and of course Shakespeare's use of "the other", Othello himself and Shylock in the merchant of Venice, which shows his need of going against the grain to include these characters. This allows for an interesting read of these plays and intriguing insight into Shakespeare.
klarrysah_223
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by klarrysah_223 »

I like much Ado About Nothing. First saw the Branagh/Thompson version of it on PBS when I was kid. That was actually my first introduction to Shakespeare. My other favorite is Twelfth Night. I've seen that as a two person play, high school production and on film; all were amazing in different ways. I think for Shakespeare plays to be truly appreciated, they need to be seen and not just read.
Fiyin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Fiyin »

Othello.
AnxiousSocks
Currently Reading: Ash
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxioussocks.html
Latest Review: The Miller's Tale by Geoffrey Chaucer (Brian Lamont translator)

Post by AnxiousSocks »

Can’t choose between Macbeth, Hamlet and As You Like It. I love them all so much!!
AnnaLibri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalibri.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by AnnaLibri »

Macbeth, Othello, and Twelfth Night
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

I would have to say that Othello is my favourite play by Shakespeare. The concept of this play is way beyond his generation, and his time. It seems that through this book (despite obvious historical differences between the characters of then and the ideas of now) he understood the social and political complexity of diversity in Shakespearean England.

I've never enjoyed one of his plays more than Othello, and I sincerely hope I can go see it at the Globe some time.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

Much Ado About Nothing. So many great lines!!
FionaSongbird
Currently Reading: The Killer Angels
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by FionaSongbird »

In general, I like the comedies better than the tragedies, and haven't read very many of the histories. My absolute favorite is Much Ado About Nothing. I absolutely adore the witty dialogue between Beatrice and Benedict. (I admit, I quite relate to Beatrice!) I also always love a happy ending.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think one of the best plays by Shakespeare is Twelfth Night, as it is quite comical and funny.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

I can't choose one. Twelfth Night and a Midsummer night's dream are good comedies. I love the prose of Romeo and Juliet. The conflict in Macbeth and Hamlet were really good. The man was simply a genius!
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

As You Like it and Mid summer night's dream.
usmanshahidlatif1998
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by usmanshahidlatif1998 »

I like Hamlet far more than any other play written by Shakespeare.If you went to high school in any town in America, chances are you've had to read your share of Shakespeare's plays.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

Since I don't live in an English-speaking country, I haven't read much Shakespeare, just Hamlet and The Taming of the Shrew. As a woman, living in the 21st century, reading The Taming of the Shrew made me incredibly angry. But, I can appreciate the depht that his characters have. He is truly an writer that helped shape the history of the theater.
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

Anthony and Cleopatra, not because I think it's his best, but because our school took us to watch it at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Warwick. We were studying it for A-level English and just the quality of acting left such an impression on me.
aly-marie
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by aly-marie »

My favorite would have to be Macbeth. I thought it had a very interesting plot line and a pretty straightforward theme of good vs. evil that was easy to catch on to when I read this in high school. I have also seen this play at the theater and it was excellent when performed live as well.

Return to “Discuss Authors”