Christian fiction authors

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
azemora
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azemora.html

Re: Christian fiction authors

Post by azemora »

I love christian fiction! When looking for suspense I'll go with Robert Liparulo. For murder/mystery/suspense Terri Blackstock or Steven James. Bryan Davis wrote a couple fantasy stories that I really enjoyed. Whenever I feel like an easy, feel-good read, I'll go with Lori Wick.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

bobbirich wrote:No I didn't know that about Kathleen Morgan, but did you know Terri Blackstock used to write secular too! Have you read anything by her? I've read everything she wrote as a Christian author and am disappointed that she hasn't had anything new in a while. I really like her books.

I will definitely check out those two series. I usually read books on my Kindle 'cause I can take it with me wherever I go, but will see if I can find those books at my library. Thanks for recommending.
LOL! You learn something new everyday! No, I dind't know that about Terri Blackstock. She is from Louisiana, (me too.). I LOVE her books. She wrote one (a couple of years ago), can't remember what it was called. Last Light or something like that. Anyway, it was kinda an apocalypse style book. It was really good. Never did find out if there were more in the series. I read that Francine Rivers used to write secular (haven't verified that one myself but I was shocked nonetheless! ). That's crazy! I love, love, love her books! Yes, I prefer reading on my kindle. They have those series on kindle but they are kinda pricey.

-- 25 Oct 2013, 18:30 --
azemora wrote:I love christian fiction! When looking for suspense I'll go with Robert Liparulo. For murder/mystery/suspense Terri Blackstock or Steven James. Bryan Davis wrote a couple fantasy stories that I really enjoyed. Whenever I feel like an easy, feel-good read, I'll go with Lori Wick.

Hey! Never read anything by Robert Liparulo (I've never heard of him, will have to look him up). Steven James did The Pawn, and all that right? I have read a couple of those, they were good. I think I've read everything Lori Wick has written. She is probably my favorite romance Christian writer.
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

azemora wrote:I love christian fiction! When looking for suspense I'll go with Robert Liparulo. For murder/mystery/suspense Terri Blackstock or Steven James. Bryan Davis wrote a couple fantasy stories that I really enjoyed. Whenever I feel like an easy, feel-good read, I'll go with Lori Wick.
Never heard of Robert Liparulo or Steven James (love Terri Blackstock) or Bryan Davis. Will have to check those out.

I used to read everything Ted Dekker wrote until he got too far out there. I think he's trying to draw in the younger people (late teen to early twenties), but I just can't read his books anymore. But his older books are great!

I like Frank Peretti too but he doesn't write that many books and I don't think he's had anything new for a while. He had a series (if you call 2 books a series) a while ago that was REALLY good: This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness.

When I want an easy, light read I go to Tracie Peterson, Lauraine Snelling or Lynn Austin.

I'm almost ashamed to say that I've never read anything by Lori Wick (although I have several on my bookshelf to read)! lol

-- 26 Oct 2013, 09:26 --

reply to paliden's post #17

-- 26 Oct 2013, 09:21 --
Paliden wrote:
bobbirich wrote:No I didn't know that about Kathleen Morgan, but did you know Terri Blackstock used to write secular too! Have you read anything by her? I've read everything she wrote as a Christian author and am disappointed that she hasn't had anything new in a while. I really like her books.

I will definitely check out those two series. I usually read books on my Kindle 'cause I can take it with me wherever I go, but will see if I can find those books at my library. Thanks for recommending.
LOL! You learn something new everyday! No, I dind't know that about Terri Blackstock. She is from Louisiana, (me too.). I LOVE her books. She wrote one (a couple of years ago), can't remember what it was called. Last Light or something like that. Anyway, it was kinda an apocalypse style book. It was really good. Never did find out if there were more in the series. I read that Francine Rivers used to write secular (haven't verified that one myself but I was shocked nonetheless! ). That's crazy! I love, love, love her books! Yes, I prefer reading on my kindle. They have those series on kindle but they are kinda pricey.

Oh my goodness, I loved that series!!! Last Light, Night Light, True Light and Dawn's Light. You just have to read them if you like Terri Blackstock!

They are about $8 each for the Kindle editions but I read them from my library a while ago.

I like Francine Rivers too (lol-another former secular writer?!), but for some reason I find it hard to get into her stories. I find the same thing with Karen Kingsbury (I did read One Tuesday Morning though and that was REALLY good!). It takes a couple of chapters to really get into their stories and sometimes I just put the books aside in favor of something else.
Ikiri81
Currently Reading: The Aeronaut's Windlass
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikiri81.html

Post by Ikiri81 »

Hello,
I don't read too much Christian fiction, but a few years back I saw a book that was a finalist in the Christian Book award so I decided to pick it up.
The author is Christa Parrish. She only wrote 3 books. All 3 were finalists in the EPCA awards through out the years. One was actually a winner (Watch over me). Her fourth one comes out on November 5th. They are all very touching and inspiring stories.

Another author I like is Zoe Klein. She only wrote one book. (Drawing in the Dust). I found it very interesting.
"Drawing in the Dust is about an American archaeologist, Page Brookstone, who excavates a tomb that contains the remains of an unknown prophetess in the arms of the prophet Jeremiah. Page risks her reputation and her life, to redeem them...and herself. "

:D
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html

Post by Paliden »

Reply to bobbirich's post #18

Cool! I will have to check out the rest of that series (Terri Blackstock). The first book was definitely amazing! You should totally read Lori Wick's books! LOL! Her Kensington Chronicles series is my favorite. And her standalone novel Pretense (I think I have read it like 50 times). Karen Kingsbury's Baxter family series is really good but it does take a second to get into it.
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

Ikiri81 wrote:Hello,
I don't read too much Christian fiction, but a few years back I saw a book that was a finalist in the Christian Book award so I decided to pick it up.
The author is Christa Parrish. She only wrote 3 books. All 3 were finalists in the EPCA awards through out the years. One was actually a winner (Watch over me). Her fourth one comes out on November 5th. They are all very touching and inspiring stories.

Another author I like is Zoe Klein. She only wrote one book. (Drawing in the Dust). I found it very interesting.
"Drawing in the Dust is about an American archaeologist, Page Brookstone, who excavates a tomb that contains the remains of an unknown prophetess in the arms of the prophet Jeremiah. Page risks her reputation and her life, to redeem them...and herself. "

:D
I never heard of either of those authors but the books sound interesting.

I will have to check them out!

Thanks for the suggestions and hope you find something else here that interests you.

-- 27 Oct 2013, 18:42 --
Paliden wrote:Reply to bobbirich's post #18

Cool! I will have to check out the rest of that series (Terri Blackstock). The first book was definitely amazing! You should totally read Lori Wick's books! LOL! Her Kensington Chronicles series is my favorite. And her standalone novel Pretense (I think I have read it like 50 times). Karen Kingsbury's Baxter family series is really good but it does take a second to get into it.
I do have the first book of the Baxter series on my bookshelf to read. Hopefully I'll have the patience to get into it - I've heard the whole series is really good!

As for Lori Wick, don't know how I've missed her - lol - will definitely have to get something by her. What is the Kensington Chronicles series - historical fiction? Maybe I'll see if I can get one of hers at my library (an actual, real book!)!

Terri Blackstock's "Light" series is most definitely amazing - it's one of the series I've actually read all the books!
azemora

Post by azemora »

@ Paliden
I definitely recommend Robert Liparulo. Try "Deadlock" first. It's an interesting play on tactical teams; I couldn't put it down. He also did a couple called "Comes a Horseman" and "Germ" (not a series). "Germ" can be a bit gruesome so don't read that one if descriptive biological attacks aren't your thing. He also did a youth series called "The Dreamhouse Kings", which I really enjoyed even though its target audience is young teens. It will definitely be something I will be giving my sons to read when they get a little older!
Yes Steven James did "The Pawn" etc. I'm really looking forward to reading "The King"! Do you know if it has been released yet?

@ Bobbirich
I agree with you that Ted Dekker got a little strange in his writings. He was one of my favorites for a long time until the books got so twisted! I particularly enjoyed "Blink of an Eye" (previously just "Blink"). I did read a newer book he did with Tosca Lee called "Forbidden" from the "Books of Mortals" series and enjoyed it. I think that his work with other authors keeps his work out of the creepy zone but you still get the unique, unpredictable twists that he is famous for.
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

azemora,

Now that I think about it, Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti teamed up for one book a while back - "House" - really good (I mean Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti how could that be bad!).

I'll have to look for other books that Ted Dekker wrote with someone else,

I have heard of the Pawn, Knight, King, etc series just didn't recognize the author's name - think they're worth looking into?
(The King is available at Amazon for about $8 for the Kindle edition.)

Sometimes I enjoy a book that's supposed to be for Young Adult readers too! When my daughter was reading the Left Behind series for kids, I really liked them.

I also liked the Jerry Jenkins series (I think 3 books, maybe 4) that started with "Soon".
azemora

Post by azemora »

House was great! I couldn't sleep until I finished it. The Ted Dekker/Frank Peretti combo worked really well and the suspense....well....that book was the definition of suspense.

I definitely recommend the Patrick Bowers Thrillers (Pawn, Rook, etc). Steven James was so unpredictable in his story lines and the characters are well developed. The unpredictability ends with the Queen. You'll begin to recognize his patterns, but it's still a good read. He has a knack for creating some pretty nasty antagonists though, particularly in The Pawn.

I really enjoyed the Left Behind series too. I haven't read the youth series yet, will have to put that on my list!
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

I actually just finished re-reading Left Behind for about the 4th time. I'm thinking about re-reading the whole series. If you buy the books for about $8 each at Amazon you can get the audiobook for about $3 (just the audiobook is around $22). I like to listen to audiobooks while I do other things, but then I don't want to forget where I am or what was happening so I like to finish by reading the book (or sometimes go back and forth).

Will definitely get one of the Patrick Bowers books - The Pawn was free for Kindle a while back and I didn't get it then so I don't think I can still get it for free - Pawn is the first one, right?

I wish Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti would team up again! Have you read Frank Peretti's Illusionist? I haven't yet. Just wondering what you thought if you read it.
azemora

Post by azemora »

Yes the Pawn is the first one. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will still be free!

I have not read Illusionist but I would like to. I have enjoyed every book he's written. I didn't love the Visitation but it was still a decent read. T.D. and F.P. should definitely do another book. Their combined writing styles make for exceptional reading.

It's been a while since the last time I read the Left Behind series. I re-read it when Glorious Appearing was released and that was the last time. I think it's going to be on my re-read list this winter since I'm about to run out of new stuff. I don't have an e-reader yet so everything is hard copy. It's starting to get a little hard on the wallet though. :)
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

I will definitely try to get The Pawn. I think I can get it from my library (which is where I got all the Left Behind books).

I think I'll see if the library has Illusionist too. Yep, I thought Frank Peretti was going the way of Ted Dekker when I read Visitation, but he came back! That's one reason why I haven't read the Illusionist yet though; the description sounds a little out there.

I agree, it does get a little hard on the wallet even buying ebooks which are usually cheaper and some are free (I don't think I've paid more than $5 for a book since I got my Kindle and I've gotten probably 100s of books for free). There's also a way to borrow books from some libraries and have them delivered directly to the Kindle (the best part is you don't have to remember to take them back on time).

Right now I'm finishing up Black Sands by Colleen Coble (Book 2 of the Aloha Reef series) and that's pretty good.
sweetnsassymom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetnsassymom.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by sweetnsassymom »

Dee Henderson
Lynn Austin
Karen Kingsbury
Susan May Warren
morganinga
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganinga.html

Post by morganinga »

"stuff christians like" is one of the funniest books ive ever read. i am a strong christian and this book talks about all the funny stereotypes etc. that are just so true!! it is a really humorous book, i suggest it to all
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

sweetnsassymom wrote:Dee Henderson
Lynn Austin
Karen Kingsbury
Susan May Warren

all great authors writing great books, great series

I especially like Dee Henderson's series and Lynn Austin always writes her stories in interesting times and places

I've just recently started reading Susan May Warren and enjoyed them too

-- 06 Nov 2013, 20:11 --
morganinga wrote:"stuff christians like" is one of the funniest books ive ever read. i am a strong christian and this book talks about all the funny stereotypes etc. that are just so true!! it is a really humorous book, i suggest it to all
I'll have to get that - sounds great

Return to “Discuss Authors”