True Crime Authors

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
lnreed_87
Bookshelf Size: 0

True Crime Authors

Post by lnreed_87 »

I'm currently watching the docu-series on HBO titled I'll Be Gone in the Dark. This is based on the book of the same title by Michelle McNamara and her work in hunting the identity of the Golden State Killer that I am also currently reading. This obsessive and intense dedication in writing her book while also trying to catch this killer is what ultimately and unfortunately contributed to her death.

I would like to discuss your thoughts on the work of Michelle McNamara compared to other true crime authors. Have you ever seen or heard of this same determination and dedication from an author? Have you read this book and what do you think of her writing compared to other true crime authors?
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

None other than John Grisham. He is a giant in crime writing. I would choose him any day.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I'm not familiar with this author or this case but it sounds strange and very sad. Especially when someone is honestly only trying to do the best or right thing. Scary. I am supposedly from the same hometown as a relatively famous prosecuting attorney from the 60's or 70's and the same nationality. I didn't realize that until after I read a book about it and then looked back at my life and wondered...at the same time, assuming he did what he thought was right, I couldn't hold anything against him nor would I want anything unfortunate in my own life to ever be attributed to him. Italians are generally rather high profile and as such, we don't pay attention to things that others would be frightened by. I'll look into the story.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Wanted to read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Never did.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

aby johnson wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 00:07 Wanted to read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Never did.
There's a movie "In Cold Blood: The Complete Mini Series". I thought it was a bit odd - can't think of how else to describe it - but I hardly ever watch movies to watch the movie so I'm often not a good judge of films the first time around.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

Devil in the white city is classic true crime

Return to “Discuss Authors”