Edgar Allan Poe, What is the secret behind him?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
mpsmaster
Favorite Book: Think and grow rich
Currently Reading: As a Man Thinketh
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mpsmaster.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Edgar Allan Poe, What is the secret behind him?

Post by mpsmaster »

Recently I have witnessed many influent people describing how Poe’s works have changed their lives. Like the writer Og Mandino and the actor Sylvester Stalone. What do you think is Poe’s great contribution, quotes or takes?

“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.”
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think that the secret to Poe is the guilt of someone else. He was labeled an alcoholic, but he doesn't seem to me to have been an alcoholic type. I don't sense the lack of will customarily associated with alcoholics, at least not of that type. I also don't sense that he was an alcoholic due to guilt. I would have assumed from his writing that he was perhaps murdered. His detective Dupine is similar to Dostoevsky's detective Porfiry from Crime and Punishment", perhaps that is what he was worried about. Regardless, his topics have a broad and interesting range: tropical islands, insects, and treasure in "The Gold-Bug", Scandinavia and science with "Maelstrom", royalty and dwarfs with "Hop-Frog", and philosophical references in "Eureka" (this last story might have an alternate title).
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Discuss Authors”