J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
BadWolfGurl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

Post by BadWolfGurl »

I would go with The Hunger Games.
I think the story is much better and did not drag on too long.
I loved Harry Potter but The Hunger Games was so much better.
then again that is just my opinion.
shockernot_mc
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shockernot-mc.html

Post by shockernot_mc »

Unlike many of the previous replies to this topic, I did not grow up reading the HP series. As a result I do not have that childhood link drawing me to Rowling's side of the debate ring. The plot and character developments are well thought through, and I appreciated Rowling's vision of an endgame as opposed to stretching the series out indefinitely. Overall Rowling's world of magic is timeless and children will escape into this world for generations to come.

All that being said, jump over about three spectrums and look at the Hunger Games saga. I began reading the series around the time when Mockingjay was published. Collins was able to use so many real life problems (siblings trying to support each other, family/friends going to war, etc.) that I was able to empathize with her characters more than the HP series... Because of that I am going to have to say that the Hunger Games will forever be my preferred of the two series.
FlorenceDupuis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florencedupuis.html

Post by FlorenceDupuis »

I can't believe someone would ask that. J.K Rowling, obviously. The Harry Potter series. Sorry I am a Potterhead. Besides, I love the first book of the Hunger Games, the second one was good, and the third one was just too much.
Posie1910

Post by Posie1910 »

I would prefer Suzanne Collins over J.K Rowling any day of the week. I personally LOVED the Hunger Games Series but could not stand Harry Potter.
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

I thoroughly enjoyed both, but would have to go with J K Rowling's Harry Potter. I would love to have more books from both series.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

Suzanne Collins. I didn't like harry potter.
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
AnnaK4656
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annak4656.html

Post by AnnaK4656 »

Jk Rowling, when in doubt go with the original
TL7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tl7.html

Post by TL7 »

Harry Potter. Collins completely drops the ball with Mockingjay. I was so disappointed with it--she does a lovely job holding the tension in the first two, and Katniss is "weird and wrong" (quote from a kid) in the last book. Rowling does a better job of building and holding the tension in Deathly Hallows, which wasn't a short book, especially since it had the potential to drag over the events of the year of searching the three did.
MRosalina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrosalina.html

Post by MRosalina »

Harry Potter, by far! Suzanne Collins has just done another dystopia series, without much depth or history. It is a nice read, but not on the same level. JK Rowling has created an amazingly intricate world, with its own brilliant symbolism, history and rules of magic.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

Why do people always have to do this? Comparing popular books to eachother just because they're both popular seems so odd to me. Harry Potter seems to be the most popular one to do this with. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "Harry Potter vs LOTR" or "Harry Potter vs Twilight". I've seen this very topic numerous times as well. It's like if you write a popular book that becomes a movie it will inevitably be compared to Harry Potter.

The reason I have an issue with this is because these two series are both good in completely different ways. Granted, they are both aimed toward "young" readers, but Hunger Games is a dystopian world about politics, while Harry Potter is about a young boy being thrown into the wizarding world that he didn't even know existed. Yes, they both go from a rather depressing life to being almost a symbol of power, but in two completely different ways.

I would find this topic of discussion to make more sense even if it were something like which one I would be more likely to read to my kids. In that case it would probably be Harry Potter; if only for the fact that Rowling did a wonderful job of writing her books to grow with her readers. The first book is written for a 12 year old the last for an 18 year old.

Buuuut.....in the end I love each series and wouldn't say either or is better. They're just too disimilar in content.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
d0dridge
Favorite Author: Raymond Feist
Currently Reading: Ethics on the Ark
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d0dridge.html
Latest Review: "Aeon" by Peter Donovan

Post by d0dridge »

My personal preference was definitely for the Harry Potter series as I found Suzanne Collins' novels a bit dry and ran out of steam but that's a personal preference.

If I had to recommend to someone which series to go for it would definitely by Harry Potter.
Latest Review: "Aeon" by Peter Donovan
honeybunny
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybunny.html
Latest Review: "Sassy Sonja, Virgin Bride" by Sarah Sewell Wolters

Post by honeybunny »

J.K. Rowling for sure! Personally, I felt the ingenious plot where all the books were integral to one another (through references and small seemingly unimportant events) yet self-standing a well, really amazing. Also the way the Hunger Games trilogy started to decline a bit in quality towards the end of the series (book 3 was just...not as good as 1), made me love the entire world Collins created a little less.
Latest Review: "Sassy Sonja, Virgin Bride" by Sarah Sewell Wolters
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

Harry potter has been a lot more successful
Danni Krue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danni-krue.html

Post by Danni Krue »

J.K. Rowling

I love Suzanne Collins, don't get me wrong, and her books are amazing. However, I am much more enchanted by the magical element present in Harry Potter.
alstrapani19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alstrapani19.html

Post by alstrapani19 »

I must say this is a very hard question for me considering I enjoyed each book very much, but if I must choose one author it would be Suzanne Collins. She brings up problem that are revenant to our world today in a thrilling and exciting way. Along with a lot of messages of corrupt government and hidden meanings, she helps teach her audience some life lessons. Although J.K Rowling is an excellent writer I was defiantly more engrossed with The Hunger Games.

Return to “Discuss Authors”