Thomas Harris

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
AmericanBlotter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Thomas Harris

Post by AmericanBlotter »

I think Thomas is the best thriller writer of all time. What is everyone else s opinion on the subject?
mimf47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimf47.html

Post by mimf47 »

I agree that Thomas Harris is very good. Not sure if I think he is the best ever, but he is right up there. The man looks like Santa Claus, if you can believe it, and he made me like Hannibal Lecter (not sure if that is a good thing), except when Hannibal seriously injured Will Graham in Red Dragon. But I think I forgave him even that. Just call me strange.
techmyview

Post by techmyview »

Yes Thomas Harris is one of the best writers in crime fiction genre. I like Thomas Harris for his cunning dialogues, wicked Hannibal Lecter character. The Silence Of the Lambs was his best work so far.
samanthaeh76
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthaeh76.html
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit

Post by samanthaeh76 »

Love his work, even though it is disturbing. The scenes with the pigs, ugh! I agree that Silence of the Lambs is currently his best.
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit
FlorenceDupuis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florencedupuis.html

Post by FlorenceDupuis »

What would be his best novel if I wanted to start reading? Like I mean, the best novel to start reading from him?
techmyview

Post by techmyview »

FlorenceDupuis wrote:What would be his best novel if I wanted to start reading? Like I mean, the best novel to start reading from him?
"The Silence Of The Lambs" is his best work according to me. "Red Dragon" is also worth reading.
Reader by Avocation, Musician by Passion and Software Developer by Profession.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

techmyview wrote:
FlorenceDupuis wrote:What would be his best novel if I wanted to start reading? Like I mean, the best novel to start reading from him?
"The Silence Of The Lambs" is his best work according to me. "Red Dragon" is also worth reading.
I started with The Silence of the Lambs, but ended up liking Red Dragon better. But agreed, they're both good.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

It is best to read the books in the chronological order of the story. Hannibal Rising, Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal. They weren't written in that order but there's foreshadowing and running themes that make reading the books in that order beautiful.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

SOTL is his best, followed by Red Dragon. The others are not as good. I would not consider Harris the best of all. I think Deaver, Lehane, and Tana French are better in my opinion.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I saw Silence of the Lambs at the recommendation of some friends. It was quite interesting. All the actors did a fantastic job - the guy dressed in drag was particularly intriguing. The book, I thought, was not quite as good as the movie. Red Dragon, on the other hand, I felt was just the opposite - the book was better than the movie. I wondered if the books were written after the movies? I haven't read anything else by him, so I really can't say much about his writing other than what I concluded having read those two novels. I'm not sure why his characters didn't seem to have much life in the books, they just weren't very intriguing.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Discuss Authors”