John Green

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Naomi Sing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: John Green

Post by Naomi Sing »

John Green does everything right when it comes to writing about teens who represent different mindsets (if that makes sense). He's definitely an author that I'd gladly re-read over and over again.
sunmuth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunmuth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by sunmuth »

My main opinion of John Green is that he writes beautifully, especially in regards to metaphors and having a deeper submeaning to his stories. However, most of his stories have the same or similar plot. This is something he admits to, however, and for me doesn't take away from him as a writer. He just has different strengths that make his work unique.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I’ve actually read quite a few of his books over the years and I have really liked all of them! I find his work very unique and compelling.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I'm not really fond of John Green books. I read 'The Fault in Our Stars' and 'Turtles All the Way Down'. In both books I didn't really connect with the characters. The way he portraits teenagers is unrealistic, they are way less idealistic and it feels that is him narrating and not the characters themselves.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

To those who consider John Green a good author: what about him do you find appealing? This question is NOT meant to sound provocative, I’m genuinely curious. I have never read his works but I know all about Looking for Alaska and it sounds very depressing and tragic. There doesn't seem to be anything very redeemable about the story and I feel like it would just be depressing. Any thoughts?
-Thea M. Frederick
Sophialynne4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophialynne4.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by M. Street
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Sophialynne4 »

I feel like I'm outnumbered in my opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of John Green books. For one thing, I think it was just hyped up way to much so he never really had a chance to live up to it. Also, I personally feel like once you've read one of his books, you've pretty much read them all. I've read The Fault in Our Stars, Turtles All the Way Down, and Paper Towns and they were all pretty unremarkable for me. If there are any of his books you think would change my mind, feel free to let me know though.
Latest Review: Metaphase by M. Street
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

John Green is the bomb people. I assume all here are his fans and I'm too. My favourite is Looking for Alaska and i miss his books so much. I have finished all of his books and this is the reason i miss him. Please write more John Green. We miss you.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I wasn't impressed by Looking for Alaska, but I still decided to go read Turtles all the Way Down. I really liked how clearly he seemed to explain OCD.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

I absolutely love John Green. He really is an amazing author, and I’ve read almost everything by him. One of my favorites is "Looking for Alaska". 
Every time I read a book by him, it knocks me off my feet again.
Giu150907
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Giu150907 »

John Green is an amazing author.
She created characters who are not easy to forget, enter your heart, leave nothing and somehow can describe all the characters that are part of history.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

I was just given my first John Green book, Fault in Our Stars and I am excited to dig in! I always saw Looking For Alaska in bookstores and was always intrigued but I seemed to always be won over by something else. All of your comments about him have made me think I will enjoy his writing!
angelbhengu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbhengu.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by angelbhengu »

I love reading John Green books. He is a talented author that can really capture emotions in his writing.
AnnaMarie Collins
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamarie-collins.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AnnaMarie Collins »

I enjoy his books. I didn't care for Looking For Alaska, but I absolutely loved Turtles All the Way Down. I also love his brother's books. Hank is my favorite Green brother :)
Hannah Ying
Currently Reading: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-ying.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Hannah Ying »

Although I am fairly new to John Green's books and have only read two of them, I do agree that he portrays teenagers very well. Out of the two books of his that I've read (The Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska), I definitely liked Looking for Alaska better, not that Fault in Our Stars was bad or anything. I have yet to read An Abundance of Katherines but am certainly planning to (along with Paper Towns :D ).
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I love John Green! I love his brother Hank too! I'm a fan of their books as well as their other stuff like their YouTube channel, tiktok, etc.

Return to “Discuss Authors”