John Green

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Re: John Green

Post by ipekbunsal »

I had doubts about reading him because all my friends love him. ( I know I am weird) But maybe i'll read him in the future
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Romulus
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Romulus »

I read John Green's fault on our stars and this is my review of his book:

It is one of the saddest and most realistic novel I ever read because I can relate to Hazel's situation although I don't carry a terminal illness to shorten my current life span. In fact I am healthy as a horse who keeps it that way through proper diet and exercise, daily recommendations from the doctor. I am lucky but I often wondered as all of us have done to wonder what it would be like if I was dying.... just fade away from this world as if I never existed.

I met few cancer patients, religious leaders, know couple of people with terminal illness who offered their perspective on this matter; however they told me not to worry about it because I am just 20 years of age and much to live for while they have short time left they will enjoy it to the fullest. Yet such thoughts are difficult to let go in my mind because who knows ? I could die tomorrow due to some unseen circumstances and end up in better place or worse. I am afraid of leaving more than going to another realm of existence. One person who read the book "Fault on our stars" complained to me how negative Hazel was and I don't blame her... at first glance, no one wants to read some girl's depressing perspective about her fading life.

But sympathetic avid readers like us know the reason even without a proper psychological education know why she feels that way. She could be anyone...our sister who is suffering from terminal cancer at some intensive care unit right now, our best friend who simply gave up on life or maybe a stranger our religious leaders call on the congregation to pray for her. On the outside she wants to be alone, she is cynical and sarcastic individual, bookish person but deep down she is just scared, depressed lonely individual who has to leave the world she has known behind. Day by day her life slowly fades away as she struggles to keep whatever time is left she has to spend with her loved ones.

It isn't easy dying knowing that you are leaving everything you loved behind forever, never be able to look back having missed so much in life. We don't like to admit it but that could be us some day or already sick person who sees themselves as Hazel or parallel boy version of her. You don't always have to fight the disease you carry within you. You can simply accept the reality at hand but enjoy even the tiniest fading light of life you have left in your hands. Augustus, Hazel's lover despite the fact that he was dying but chose to go to Netherlands with Hazel to meet their favorite author understanding this concept taught by Hazel through their shared experiences.

I read countless fantasy to science fiction books in my life time believing a hero is someone who is based on his action and thoughts, someone who leaves a mark within the society where he or she lives in. But I never thought that a hero or heroine could be someone who accepts the life that is given and made it meaningful. Augustus and Hazel did not slay a dragon, traveled the universe as a crew on some star ship. But they were united by their common interests, accepted the life they were given and beautifully made an impact on each other's life being heroes to each other. It is true what Christopher Nolan once said through his batman movies: " A hero can be anyone. Even a simple act as putting a coat around the young boy to let them know the world hasn't ended." It is a beautiful story I want to pass it onto the next generation.

-- 10 Aug 2014, 20:49 --

He is a good author who knows how to touch a reader's soul.
littlebook
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Will Grayson Will Grayson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebook.html
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case

Post by littlebook »

I have read The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska and Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green. I enjoyed Will Grayson, Will Grayson immensely. It is a fabulous book. I laughed several times, as well as shed a few tears. I still have yet to see the TFIOS movie. How is it in comparison to the book? The book was capturing and phenomenal.
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case
Karlareads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlareads.html

Post by Karlareads »

I've read two of his books, TFIOS and Looking for Alaska, and I LOVED THEM. It just sucks that he had to *SPOILERS ALERT* kill important characters in both novels. But that's part of the story I guess.
JohnOrtegon23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johnortegon23.html

Post by JohnOrtegon23 »

John Green is a great author and his books are just so entertaining and usually tragic in a way and I just love reading his books. Especially, Looking For Alaska, which is my favorite book of John Greens.
Alynnes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnes.html

Post by Alynnes »

I have read a few John Green books. I liked Looking for Alaska, although I didn't love any of the characters. And I absolutely loved The Fault in Our Stars. Have any of you read Paper Towns or An Abundance of Katherines? I am curious about those.
ankop95

Post by ankop95 »

I have always loved John Greens style of writing. He is amazing when it comes to his books. I love the fast paced style of wwriting he uses through his books and the way he makes you feel with the characters life stories. He makes you feel emotions for/ from the characters. My first book Iv'e read from him is "Looking For Alaska" it was an amazing book that I enjoyed reading. His books are a fast read.
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

roberts-rl wrote:I have recently read each of the John Green novels besides "An Abundance of Katherines" which I am hoping to purchase soon. I think John Green does a very good job in portraying teenagers and the way they truly think and act. What does everyone else think of this author?

I loved "The Fault in our stars" and I do plan to read "Looking for Alaska" and "Papertowns" soon. I have been getting mixed reviews about "An Abundance of Katherines". Please let me know if it's as good as the others when you read it.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

I've read about 1/2 of The Fault in Our Stars, but John Green also has a YouTube channel called "Crash Course." It's full of 10 min videos that talk about anything from history to chemistry. I'm in the middle of the world history videos, and I love it!
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I am a huge fan of John Green. I have read all of his books except Paper towns. I first read An Abundance of Katherines and fell in love with his character development and strong understanding of how to tell a coming of age story. I have enjoyed all of his books for the rich characters that are easy to fall in love with.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I read The Fault In Our Stars and I didn't care for it too much. I thought it was so sad. I really don't like to read about anyone being sick or a main character dying in the end. I would like to read Paper Towns though. That seems like an intriguing story. I just hope that I enjoy it more than I did the first one that I read.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
yett23

Post by yett23 »

I agree with amqzong. I wasn't particularly impressed with "The Fault in our Stars" because the plot was ordinary. However, I have to credit John Green for his writing. There were some words in the book which he cleverly concocted. He certainly appeals to the young readers.
laurafrutos
Favorite Author: Hermann Hesse
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3008">The Fault in Our Stars</a>
Currently Reading: Spiral
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2860

Post by laurafrutos »

It had been YEARS since the last time I've cried so much reading a book. The Fault in Our Stars did it and I cried so many times in different parts of the book. The silly thing is that when I read it for the second time, I cried even more than the first time I read it.

I was hoping to find An Imperial Affliction, but google says is a fictional book, just as Peter Van Houten is a fictional character...
Olivia Parker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-parker.html

Post by Olivia Parker »

Totally love John Greene! I have read a few of his books, like the Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns. I am reading Looking For Alaska, as well. John Greene writes about life in an unedited way that just appeals to me. He writes about how people act, not how they are supposed to act. That's what makes him so fabulous. I also think the fact that he's had 2 screenplays means that he has been pretty successful already, and I hope he continues with that success as his career continues. Looking forward to reading some more of his books. The one negative note that I have however is that the Paper Towns movie was frankly bland and boring. One of the prime examples is that the book is usually better than the movie! Overall I really enjoy John Greene's work!
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Despite the fact that teens in his books speak like 30 year olds with their Master's degree... he does a good at depicting their lives. He manages to avoid cliches of what its like to be a teenager and falling in love for the first time. I also like him as a person. Hes humble and seems genuine. He engages and interacts with his readers and fans, which alot of authors dont do these days.

Return to “Discuss Authors”