John Green

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
roberts-rl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roberts-rl.html

John Green

Post by roberts-rl »

I have recently read each of the John Green novels besides "An Abundance of Katherines" which I am hoping to purchase soon. I think John Green does a very good job in portraying teenagers and the way they truly think and act. What does everyone else think of this author?
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I have loved everything I have read by John Green so far. He has a great vision and I look forward to seeing his career blossom. I'm very excited to the TFIOS movie and hope it is a good representation of the novel.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
BeccaCaley
Favorite Author: To many
Favorite Book: I could not honestly say
Currently Reading: The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Post by BeccaCaley »

I love John Green! I've been keeping up with all of his books for the past 2 years and I've read all of them, including the one he co-wrote Let it Snow. As a teenager I think he really does portray teenagers the way they act, like you say, and I love how he gets the thought process of everything so right - like in Paper Towns I feel like I think a lot like Margo 'Paper towns with paper people' he has some of the best quotes in his books! He is definitely an amazing author and I can't wait till he brings out some more books! I am excited for TFIOS movie but also a little worried because I have loved the books for so long and sometimes I think book-move adaptations can ruin the books City of Bones for instance! But yes John Green is an amazing author! I hope you like An Abundance of Katherines, it really is an interesting book even though theres a little maths in it! :)
XxMonsterLoverxX
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xxmonsterloverxx.html

Post by XxMonsterLoverxX »

I'm a gigantic John Green Fan. His books are intense, interesting, and keep me interested from the very beginning. Love him. He might be one of my favourites.
NovaJay2415
Favorite Author: Suzanne Collins
Favorite Book: Cinder
Currently Reading: Sylo Icecore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novajay2415.html
fav_author_id: 2536

Post by NovaJay2415 »

I have only read one John Green book so far, which was the Fault in our Stars. That book was amazing in every sense of the word. I don't know why, like you said, he just makes you feel connected with the characters just by the way he portrays them. I bought another one of his books called, "Paper Towns." Looking forward to reading that book! Happy reading! :D
amqzong
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amqzong.html

Post by amqzong »

Like NovaJay2415, I've only read Fault in Our Stars, but I wasn't that impressed by it. I think some parts were definitely inspiring, but the plot, characters, and romance just didn't appeal to me.
Anxious Educator
Favorite Author: James Herriot
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxious-educator.html
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
fav_author_id: 10107

Post by Anxious Educator »

Let me just jump on the band wagon by saying that I love John Green, too. My students (myself included) love his Crash Course world history videos even if they don't know what he's talking about half the time, haha. To the OP, An Abundance of Katherines was definitely my least favorite of Green's books (I've read them all except Let it Snow, which is on my to-read list. Coincidentally it is snowing like crazy right now.), but that didn't make me love him any less. More than a great author, he also seems like a great person. He really focuses on doing a lot of good for a lot of people while working to educate people about all sorts of things (history, literature, politics...).
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

I'm a fairly new John Green fan. I started with The Fault in Our Stars, which I really enjoyed, and then moved on to read the rest of his stuff. I recently finished An Abundance of Katherine's and I must admit It was probably my least favorite. But when he writes another book, I will definitely read it :)
Kwelch0212

Post by Kwelch0212 »

I have read two of John Green's books and hope to read many many more. I have read both The Fault in the Stars, and Searching for Alaska. Both books blew me aware. His portrayal of the teens in both of the books were very believable and relate-able even though I have never been in the situations of either of the books. He will certainly be one author that I will not be disappointed by by reading his other books.
bettiekrueger

Post by bettiekrueger »

I've read all of John Green's novels and an Abundance of Katherines was my least favorite unfortunately. It was still worth reading but a little bit of a let down compared to his other books.
sarakasss

Post by sarakasss »

I absolutely adore John Green! He manages to convey everything that makes a teenager a teenager without seeming cliche or sappy. Especially regarding his book Looking for Alaska, Green never fails to make me cry and laugh all the way through every book!
aMYethoughts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyethoughts.html

Post by aMYethoughts »

I hate to do any kind of bashing on John Green because I do enjoy everything he is doing on YouTube. I just think his writing style is a strange mixture of pretentious and simple. His dialogue is something that feels very unrealistic for anyone, let alone teenagers. His novels are sentimental, and I have admittedly cried throughout Looking for Alaska and the Fault in Our Stars. From what I have seen from these two books, however, I believe he uses very, very similar story lines and plot elements.
BizzyLizzy
Favorite Author: Naoki Urasawa
Currently Reading: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bizzylizzy.html

Post by BizzyLizzy »

I quite like John Green the person; his YouTube videos are always spot-on and he seems like a very fun person to be around. But when it comes to his writing, I've got to side with aMYethoughts here; I've read the whole of "Looking for Alaska" and the first chapter of "The Fault in our Stars", and his teenage protagonists' voices don't quite click with me as being authentic.
Part of it was, I think, me expecting him to know how to write the "common teenager" like the back of his hand, considering they comprise a great deal of his fanbase. But every time he writes for them, I can't help but to think that it all sounds very (to borrow the perfect word from the above post) pretentious.
This isn't something new or notable in YA; most books in the genre that I've read have made their teenagers sound like diamonds in the rough or secret sages of the ages. But John Green's teenagers are just too literary and chic and indie. It feels less like his characters talking and more like him talking. They seem witty and idealistic to the point of unreality. I didn't see myself or any other teenager I know in any of his characters -- which sucks, because I really wanted to like his stuff because I very much like and respect the man himself.
BookFever
Favorite Book: I could not possibly choose.
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfever.html
Latest Review: "You, in Your Green Shirt" by Barbara Monier

Post by BookFever »

Here is another fan of John Green. I couldn't agree with you more when you say he has this amazing ability to turn printed words into what would be true dialogue. Specifically, in The Fault in Our Stars, I appreciated that he created a character who isn't letting cancer slow him down. Gus was admirable, to me, because he still lived a life where he could see the happiness in things and could find a way to appreciate the life he had. It's nice to meet a character who has been struck by tragedy but who still makes you smile.
Latest Review: "You, in Your Green Shirt" by Barbara Monier
claireford23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claireford23.html

Post by claireford23 »

John Green is an amazing author and an amazing person!!!

Return to “Discuss Authors”