What is your favorite Dickens novel?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Re: What is your favorite Dickens novel?

Post by casper »

Our Mutual Friend, with A Tale of Two Cities close second. I love Dickens' books and it's really hard to pick s favourite.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

casper wrote:Our Mutual Friend, with A Tale of Two Cities close second. I love Dickens' books and it's really hard to pick s favourite.
Interesting! You are the first to mention Our Mutual Friend. It's not one of his more popular novels. I like it too - for me, David Copperfield and Bleak House are my favorites, but Our Mutual Friend is among my top 4 or 5.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

Agree that Our Mutual Friend is up there. I mentioned on another thread that I recently read them in order of publication and, while Pickwick Papers is great and I think Barnaby Rudge is massively underrated, I think from Dombey and Son onwards he just moves into another gear.
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Agreed, he really was writing at a different, much more mature level from Dombey and Son on. It's hard to group Pickwick with the rest of his novels, as it's more a series of disconnected "adventures" with a thread of continuity between them. I haven't read Barnaby Rudge in years, but I would like to read it again. It has an interesting historical backdrop, much like A Tale of Two Cities. I think Nicholas Nickleby is also underappreciated. The only "disappointing" novel for me is The Old Curiosity Shop. It seems that Dickens, when he started it, didn't have a clear idea of where he wanted to take the story, and it tends to meander and lack purpose or direction.
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html

Post by David Dawson »

Nicholas Nickleby is one of my least favourites; I think it is the novel that suffers most from the fact they were originally written as serials, so it seems by about 2/3 of the way through that it's just a repeating pattern of life getting better, then something going wrong over and over. Which would make sense reading it as a serial but does get a little dull. In terms of his greater maturity as a writer I think the comparison between Squeers in NN and Gradgrind in Hard Times is quite instructive. On a similar vein, I read parts of Our Mutual Friend almost as a recantation of the anti-semitism of Oliver Twist, which I found very alienating as a modern reader.
casper

Post by casper »

David Dawson wrote:Agree that Our Mutual Friend is up there. I mentioned on another thread that I recently read them in order of publication and, while Pickwick Papers is great and I think Barnaby Rudge is massively underrated, I think from Dombey and Son onwards he just moves into another gear.
Dombey and Son was the first Dickens I ever read, bought from a second hand book shop for 3p when I was eleven, and that got me hooked. I haven't read Barnaby Rudge for years so that really deserves a reread when I can get hold of a copy.
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

casper wrote:
David Dawson wrote:Agree that Our Mutual Friend is up there. I mentioned on another thread that I recently read them in order of publication and, while Pickwick Papers is great and I think Barnaby Rudge is massively underrated, I think from Dombey and Son onwards he just moves into another gear.
Dombey and Son was the first Dickens I ever read, bought from a second hand book shop for 3p when I was eleven, and that got me hooked. I haven't read Barnaby Rudge for years so that really deserves a reread when I can get hold of a copy.
Dickens' works are online. You can read them all for free without even downloading anything. One site is literaturepage.com.
casper

Post by casper »

Thanks for that PashaRu, I've just downloaded Barnaby Rudge (free) and it's my next book to read. I wonder what Dickens would think of the internet ...
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

Not really a Dickens fan, but I did enjoy A Tale of Two Cities.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

I enjoyed Oliver Twist when I read it last year, but I don't remember any of his other novels. I do remember that I read at least Great Expectations in high school, but somehow I don't remember much of the required reading of high school. (The fact that high school was almost 30 years ago has nothing to do with it, right? ;) ) I didn't realize that Dickens wrote so many other books. I did know that for his serials he got paid by the word, and this explains a lot of his wordiness. I am going to add some of his other books to my list of books to read.
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Little House wrote:I enjoyed Oliver Twist when I read it last year, but I don't remember any of his other novels. I do remember that I read at least Great Expectations in high school, but somehow I don't remember much of the required reading of high school. (The fact that high school was almost 30 years ago has nothing to do with it, right? ;) ) I didn't realize that Dickens wrote so many other books. I did know that for his serials he got paid by the word, and this explains a lot of his wordiness. I am going to add some of his other books to my list of books to read.
Dickens wrote 14 novels and was working on a 15th when he died. Oliver Twist was one of his earlier works, before he really hit his stride as a storyteller par excellence. May I suggest some of his later works: David Copperfield, Bleak House, A Tale of Two Cities, Our Mutual Friend. These works represent, in my opinion, the apex of Dickens' creativity as both a writer and storyteller, and solidify his place as one of the greatest English language novelists.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

David Copperfield with Oliver Twist in second
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

PashaRu wrote:
Little House wrote:I enjoyed Oliver Twist when I read it last year, but I don't remember any of his other novels. I do remember that I read at least Great Expectations in high school, but somehow I don't remember much of the required reading of high school. (The fact that high school was almost 30 years ago has nothing to do with it, right? ;) ) I didn't realize that Dickens wrote so many other books. I did know that for his serials he got paid by the word, and this explains a lot of his wordiness. I am going to add some of his other books to my list of books to read.
Dickens wrote 14 novels and was working on a 15th when he died. Oliver Twist was one of his earlier works, before he really hit his stride as a storyteller par excellence. May I suggest some of his later works: David Copperfield, Bleak House, A Tale of Two Cities, Our Mutual Friend. These works represent, in my opinion, the apex of Dickens' creativity as both a writer and storyteller, and solidify his place as one of the greatest English language novelists.
Thank you. I came back to this thread to request a recommendation and you have answered my question before I asked it. Now that is service. :)
chiliabowl1998
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiliabowl1998.html

Post by chiliabowl1998 »

A tale of two cities
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Little House wrote:
PashaRu wrote:
Thank you. I came back to this thread to request a recommendation and you have answered my question before I asked it. Now that is service. :)
My pleasure. We aim to please! :)

Return to “Discuss Authors”