What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by jvez »

I prefer authors who create likable characters or those that I can relate to. As I'm a very huge fan of fantasy books as well, I prefer authors who can make unique worlds with vivid descriptions.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

First of all, I choose a book according to the genre but what would make me reread a book is the author's way of writing. I love dry humor like the one of Dean Koontz.
Vg345
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vg345.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Vg345 »

There are two conditions for anyone entering my list of favorite authors, which is way too long, by the way. 1. Get me hooked. 2. Don't let me down (Don't kill my favorite fictional friends). These are usually authors whose books I've read and plan to read dozens of times. I recommend reading a couple of pages from a Pseudonymous Bosch book to see what "get me hooked" implies. Or the chapter titles of the Magnus Chase series.
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

I think primarily it's their voice (or their ability to develop the voice of the narrators), followed closely by their worldbuilding and character development. I appreciate authors of every genre whose voice greatly improves whatever it is they're writing about. My favorite genres are historical fiction and fantasy, and part of what I love about them is being completely immersed in the world.
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

There are authors who are incredible story tellers but poor writers and there are authors who write very well but don't tell particularly interesting stories. Many of them are quite popular but I tend to avoid them. I look for an author who can do both. Those who can hook me right away can paint a picture with words, creating strong characters and gripping plot lines.
RedLetter
Currently Reading: The War Within, the Story of Josef
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redletter.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by RedLetter »

I read from a variety of genres, so what draws me to a particular author will vary, as well. If I am reading a psychological thriller, I am usually drawn to an author that can grab me within the first few lines. For example, while scrolling through my books on my kindle, I accidentally clicked on a book that I had not intended to read. But those first few sentences immediately drew me in, and I couldn't put it down. I sat down and actually read the book in a matter of just a few days.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I like an author who fleshes out the characters and has a beliavable plot.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Usually it’s the genre that lures me in but the story I think is the most important which needs to be written in a way that readers can follow. If a book is written right I will read it no matter the genre as long as I find it interesting.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

Historical fiction usually gets me but if I feel as though the author is not passionate about the subject, i.e. it has been badly researched, then I give up on it. I like the author’s love for the story to shine through. I can read most genres if I get this feeling.
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip »

The plot, Theme and language they use in their writings cubs me
tinaperkins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tinaperkins »

I read a little about the each book to see if this is what I want to read I use read inspired suspense or romance.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

The writing style and the humor are what really draw me to certain authors, like Deborah Wilde, Emma Mills, Jenny Jones and Marni Bates.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

I read a wide variety of genres and authors, but I think what draws me most to a specific author is the characters they create. A good story and great characters are essential to me. Also, the style of writing can't be too overly flowery or verbose.

Some favorites are Nora Roberts/JB Robb, James Patterson, Janet Evanovich, John Grisham, Catherine Coulter, David Baldacci, Kate Morton, TRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, Agatha Christie, and an occasional Stephen King novel to name a few.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

The style of writing usually catches me first. If I find myself trudging through the first few chapters or getting bogged down throughout the book, I can't hardly finish it. I especially like when an author can make me laugh out loud while I'm reading it---those moments when everyone around you looks at you like you're crazy. A strong plot with realistic characters is a must.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Genre comes first when i have to choose a book. Writing style also draws me and yeah the characterization matters a lot.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Discuss Authors”