Gillian Flynn

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Alyssadurso9
Favorite Author: Gillian Flynn
Favorite Book: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssadurso9.html
fav_author_id: 1801

Gillian Flynn

Post by Alyssadurso9 »

I have to say that I used to be a huge fan of the love and romance books. She opened up a whole new world to me. I love shows like CSI. I like the suspense but I hate scary movies that are ridiculous and gory. Therefore, her books are perfect. I have read, Sharp Objects, Gone Girl, and Dark Places. All were very different which I loved! They gave me the same feeling but I never lost interest. I ready multiple books a month and love finding something new and exciting! I want her to come out with more ASAP!
bluemm0926
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemm0926.html

Post by bluemm0926 »

I totally agree! Once I read Gone Girl, I sought out her other books and really liked those too! Do you know of any authors similar to her? She has totally taken me away from my chick lit phase!
wendyj
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyj.html
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Post by wendyj »

I love Gllian Flynn. I read Gone Girl and then had to read Sharp Objects and Dark Places. Does anyone know if she has something new coming? When I find an author I enjoy, I am always disappointed to read his/her last book!
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I also LOVED Gone Girl. Like it was all so manipulative but I loved reading it so much. I think there's a movie coming out for Gone Girl, and I'm telling everyone to read the book first because the movie will probably ruin some of the most surprising things (and best parts!) in the book. I'm probably going to read Sharp Objects next, I hope it is just as good!
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I really liked Gone Girl, thought Sharp Objects was fairly decent, but really did not like Dark Places.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I started by reading Dark Placss and then proceeded to read everything else she's ever written. As for my favorite, it's hard to decide between Dark Placss and Gone Girl. What ruined Dark Placss was a lousy ending. Gone Girl was better in that it didn't have such a problem, but I liked the setting and characters of Dark Placss a lot better. I'm desperately torn between the two.
catherinesomers
Favorite Author: Gillian Flynn
Bookshelf Size: 22
fav_author_id: 1801

Post by catherinesomers »

I simply can't shut up about how much I love Gillian, I read "Sharp Objects" first and I wasn't that drawn but I'll admit I finished it in days because of how good it was, how amazing it all make sense. "Dark Places" is my least favorite. And "Gone Girl"... when I read it I had to lend it to several friends so I could have someone to fangirl about, because I couldn't stop. I was simply amazed. My favorite book and author till this day.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I read Gone Girl and it was really good. I look forward to reading her other books. I liked how she destroyed the illusion of happy endings in the stories.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I really liked Gone Girl. I think she knows how to really give the readers some unexpected twists and turns, which I really enjoy. I started reading another one of her novels, can't remember what it was, but got a little disinterested when it seemed like the characters were very similar to some of those from Gone Girl. I'm sure I'll give her another go soon though. She may just not be an author who has stories I will enjoy reading back-to-back.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Gillian Flynn was definitely one of the authors that got me hooked on thrillers. Her way of writing a thriller is really intense. Gone Girl quickly became one of my favorites!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I read Sharp Objects and Dark Places. They were both amazing reads! She has such a captivating writing style that makes it impossible to put the book down. I also like how different each story is. I don't think I could ever get bored of reading her work. I hope she comes out with another book soon.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I put off reading Gone Girl for so long because I thought I would hate it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was so good.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I have read Gone Girl and Dark Places. I really enjoyed Dark Places but was quite disappointed with the movie. I look forward to watching Sharp Objects so I can enjoy it without having read the book (I find it easier to enjoy when I have no expectations).

I recently read Pretty Girls by Karen Slaughter and it has the same feel as Gillian Flynn. I would recommend her books (there are several) for Flynn fans.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I, the same as many others, jumped on the Gone Girl ship when I heard what a great novel it was. I thought it was such a great book that I went out and bought Dark Places and Sharp Objects in the week after I finished reading it. Gillian Flynn is such an incredible example of an author who gets better with every new release. That being said, I loved all of her books, and they are all impeccably planned and have haunted me as a reader ever since.

The only other novel that comes to mind that was executed as well as Gone Girl though would be The Girl on the Train. I suppose that is why they were both best sellers! I've seen some recommendations on this thread that I am eager to look into though.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

Everything that I have read of hers I have really liked. I’ve only read a few of her books though.

Return to “Discuss Authors”