Henry David Thoreau

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Henry David Thoreau

Post by Scott »

I mentioned in other thread that Henry David Thoreau is my favorite writer. As a proponent of simple living, freedom, and civil disobedience, he was a great thinker whose writing influenced famous heroes such as Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi. He is also known for his book, Walden.

What do you think about Henry David Thoreau? Have you read any of his work?

He supported boycotting taxes (see quote below); what do you think of that? I think it's an effective and peaceful way to demand significant change in the government. I oppose taxation, because I oppose theft and I oppose forcing people to pay money for things that they do not want, such as expensive wars.

I include three quotes:
Henry David Thoreau wrote:Cast your whole vote, not a strip of paper merely, but your whole influence. A minority is powerless while it conforms to the majority; it is not even a minority then; but it is irresistible when it clogs by its whole weight. If the alternative is to keep all just men in prison, or give up war and slavery, the State will not hesitate which to choose. If a thousand men were not to pay their tax-bills this year, that would not be a violent and bloody measure, as it would be to pay [the State], and enable the State to commit violence and shed innocent blood. This is, in fact, the definition of a peaceable revolution, if any such is possible.
Henry David Thoreau wrote:I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe--"That government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which the will have.
Henry David Thoreau wrote:Under a government which imprisons unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison.
What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
awelker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by awelker »

sophomore year in high school in my american literature class we read some stuff by him and personally i wasn't impressed. i don't know if it was because i was only 16 or what but i thought he kinda sucks as an author. i might one day have to reexamine that theory but for now i am stay far away from that.
inkensoul

Post by inkensoul »

Personally, I'm a little more of an Emerson fan. Though the two were kindred spirits, I feel that Emerson had a much greater grasp of the English language.

However, I do think that Thoreau had an essence that has carried through time and I am able to get a little deeper into his words each time I read them.
Kyle22

Post by Kyle22 »

Thoreau's ideas on civil disobedience were used by Martin Luther King and Gandhi. The world would be very different if it wasn't for Thoreau.
CassieXO

Post by CassieXO »

I'm not a big fan, but then again I don't really like the transcendentalist period. I do love the quote of Emerson that says, "To be great is to be misunderstood," though.
Dori

Post by Dori »

Scott Hughes wrote:I mentioned in other thread that Henry David Thoreau is my favorite writer. As a proponent of simple living, freedom, and civil disobedience, he was a great thinker whose writing influenced famous heroes such as Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi. He is also known for his book, Walden.

What do you think about Henry David Thoreau? Have you read any of his work?

He supported boycotting taxes (see quote below); what do you think of that? I think it's an effective and peaceful way to demand significant change in the government. I oppose taxation, because I oppose theft and I oppose forcing people to pay money for things that they do not want, such as expensive wars.

[...]

What do you think?
I've read excerpts from Thoreau's Walden just this past week for English class. Although I only agree with some of the things he says, I think he is an excellent writer. Of course, one of my good friends called him a "pretentious prick" or something to that extent (as you can infer, we hold differing opinions on several things). I particularly liked the excerpts I read from the chapter (in Walden) called "Brute Neighbors." I agree with him when he writes (ever so simply ;)) "simplify, simplify."

All in all, a great writer with some interesting insights.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

LOVE his work :) He is one of my favorites also. BIG BIG thinker! My kinda guy :wink:
Eric

Post by Eric »

Thoreau wasn't opposed to paying taxes. He said that he would have no problem paying taxes that would fix the roads or help people. He just didn't want his money going towards an unjust war (the Mexican-American War) or slavery. I have no problem paying taxes for worthy and necessary causes, like roads, schools, public libraries, public transportation, veterans' services, etc. I do have a problem, however, with my money going to wasteful or immoral things like the war in Iraq (I don't mind the money that goes to the soldiers, just not all the cash that goes to companies like Lockheed Martin and Bechtel).
Freedom of conscience entails more dangers than authority and despotism. -- Michel Foucault
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Eric wrote:I have no problem paying taxes for worthy and necessary causes, like roads, schools, public libraries, public transportation, veterans' services, etc.
Yes, I'm sure Thoreau felt the same, as do most people. Even as an anarchist, I feel that way.

Also like Thoreau, I believe, That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which the will have. And taxation is a part of government. I think Thoreau felt like I feel, which is that while some types of taxation and government spending can be useful and desirable now, eventually I want it reduced and eliminated completely.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
blue_doona32

Post by blue_doona32 »

I may not enjoy his style of writing, but I did like the purpose of his experiment in Walden.

Imagine, if you will, going back to nature and relying on instincts and strength alone to get you through the days. No comforts of home such as electricity, an AC, a stove, microwave (omg! no more instant macaroni! :cry: ). Anyway, getting away from all these "conviniences" and truly living in nature, not harnessing its power. The purpose of his experiment was to live the way our fathers and grandfathers did. A deeper appriciation of nature than was ever known before.

Imagine that. I certainly would.
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain

Return to “Discuss Authors”