Sherlock Holmes

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by DATo »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:I have a confession to make. I have never read a Sherlock Holmes book.

*face of shock and horror*

I have just never considered that I would enjoy it, but perhaps I should give it a try.
You have no idea how much I envy you. I wish I could read all of those stories again for the first time. Really, you should give it a try. I predict you'll love it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
donsloan

Post by donsloan »

To me, Jeremy Brett was the penultimate Sherlock Holmes on film. He just brought all the great Conan Doyle stories to life with a keen and perceptive flair for the character. But, I still enjoy reading the written canon as well. . .
meigui22
Favorite Author: Tolstoy

Post by meigui22 »

yes, i absolutely agry
Chirlerona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chirlerona.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: What's Heartfulness? by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Chirlerona »

I read Sherlock Holmes books when I was a child and liked them a lot. Then there were years of movies, various interpretations. It would be interesting to read the books again now I am an adult, to see if my impression would change.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I have never read any of the Sherlock Holmes books but I think I definitely should. I have loved every movie or tv show adaptation I have seen so I assume I will love the books as well.
Lisathereader76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisathereader76.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lisathereader76 »

I listened to sign of four,hounds of basketville and a study in scarlett audio books and they were excellent. I love how he twist it so you hear the story of the suspects like Jefferson Hope and it's not what you think
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

Sherlock Holmes was my first detective crush. The original seems perfect in the context the stories set up. I have doctor's crush on Watson too.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I have loved Sherlock Holmes in every version I've read/seen. I think the films with Robert Downey Jr. are excellent, and I love the BBC show with Benedict Cumberbatch.
human reader

Post by human reader »

I feel like Elementary handles the character well despite it giving him some romantic story lines. I see Sherlock Holmes as having Asperger's and/or OCD. These are often isolating and lead many to center their lives on a hobby rather than people. Most of his romances are a mixed bag so it's not like they made him regular joe who's a tad smarter than the rest.

We have spilled much ink, you and I, in our discussion of human connection, and we're no closer to understanding than we were when our correspondence began. I often feel as if I am standing on one side of a wide chasm, shouting across, and wondering if the response I hear comes from you, or if it is my own voice, echoing back to me. It seems to me, on my side of the canyon, the search for unity with another is the font of much of the world's unhappiness. I watch as Watson, eager as ever to extract some meaning from the prevailing social conventions, endures a series of curated mating rituals. It seems to me that she's incrementally... less content each time she returns from one. I conduct myself as though I'm above matters of the heart, chiefly because I have seen them corrode people I respect. But in my candid moments, I sometimes wonder if I take the stance I do because "love", for lack of a better word, is a game I fail to understand, and so I opt not to play. After all, if I truly had the purity of all my convictions, I wouldn't regret so many of the things I've done, nor would I persist against many of my better instincts in this correspondence. I find you a challenge; one that, in spite of all that you've done, continues to stimulate. And so the conversation - futile though it may finally be - continues. And we are left to wonder, have we simply failed to find the answers to the questions that preoccupy us, or can they not be answered at all? Fortunately for both of us, the world always presents the next diversion, the next elaborate distraction from the problems that vex. - The Diabolical Kind, Elementary
FLbookie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by FLbookie »

Late to the party. I've read (and re-read) the entire canon numerous times, and always find it very enjoyable. However, I've never seen a movie or television show. (I'd always rather read I guess.) I have read some later non-canonical stories, some are okay, some are funny, the pastiches are usually a bit iffy. That said, I do enjoy the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King, and find them well written and engaging.
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

I watched the BBC Series of SH on Netflix. I rewatched some of the episodes. I am enthralled. I decided to read it, as in the original by Sir Conan Doyle, I could not appreciate it. Sorry :cry:
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I love the Sherlock Holmes stories so much that I have 3 copies! My mom read them to me at bedtime when I was a kid. I personally prefer the old Basil Rathbone adaptation.
Robinlloyd17
Currently Reading: Fair cronies and felonies
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinlloyd17.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Robinlloyd17 »

I absolutely love the original Sherlock Holmes. I agree with you that the newer versions of him focus more on his character "flaws". Its almost like they are trying to "fix" him to fit the modern age. He is written perfectly in the original version and should be preserved that way. Sherlock Holmes is about the mystery and intrigue and that is what makes him so great!
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

'The man who never lived and never died.'

I first read about Sherlock Holmes in high school, it was many years ago. He caught my attention right away! His character was so amazing and interesting that I began to think how could someone be so so genius and pick up threads from the most uncommon of places. Although he was a fictional character still, I let my imagination go wild and said to myself, 'Consider that someone like him must be out there! It must be so breathtaking to meet that someone in person.' But oh! Here's the rub..I cannot allow someone, anyone to read my mind and bluntly announce my past and whereabouts in front of me! That must be so humiliating and confusing!
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Emma Ussel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-ussel.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Emma Ussel »

'The man who never lived and never died.' <--
This is probably one of the best lines ever written in a piece of fiction. The series being Watson's memoirs also give such an interesting other layer to the whole ordeal...

Return to “Discuss Authors”