If you could take a writing class which author would it be?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Chris Manning
Currently Reading: Neuromancer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-manning.html
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
Reading Device: B01EVOWRCY

Re: If you could take a writing class which author would it

Post by Chris Manning »

I'm not sure he would make the best teacher, but I've always found Cormac McCarthy's writing to be powerful, rich, and haunting. Every phrase is heavy with meaning and symbolism. I'm not even sure I'd go for the writing class. I would just love to ask him questions relating to his books and influences, to get inside his head for a while.
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
David_Fields
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-fields.html

Post by David_Fields »

Definitely Kafka, his writing is incredibly ambiguous and open to discussion. Plus, I would definitively appreciate a little help getting his letters and biography clear and in context.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Stephen King, Anne Rice.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
AnnieC898

Post by AnnieC898 »

This is such a great question! There are sooo many author's whose prose I admire. However, the one that intrigues me the most is Diana Gabaldon. I love how verbose she is in terms of getting the descriptions of the character, the scenes, the narrative so detailed. Also, I read a few books on her processes and they are so interesting...I love how she went from being a technical writer, for a science magazine, writing about birds, to writing books that are classified by many genres (she has explained that her books are a case study in human nature).
Shesjada

Post by Shesjada »

To me, that would be P. G. Wodehouse. His style and the way he weaves comedy into the simplest of sentences is just amazing.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I would go for Dan Brown and edgar allan poe.
HappyBanjoGirl

Post by HappyBanjoGirl »

If I could take a writing class from anyone, I would love to learn from Louis L'amour. I really appreciate his realistic character portrayal and his poetic descriptiveness when describing backgrounds. He always has gripping plot-lines and his dialogue is never stilted. He writes with a rugged gracefulness that I would love to emulate.
Echo Woods
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Echo Woods »

One of the best-written books I've read is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Her style captures the reader's mind and draws the reader into the novel in a powerful way.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I would want to take a writing class from Diana Gabaldon because she wrote books in such detail. I mean to write that many books in a series with so many pages along, I couldn't imagine. I think she would help come up with some great ideas for writing.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
redfoxx1978
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by redfoxx1978 »

For me, it would be Jodi Piccoult. I loved how she always kept me guessing in her books and I'd like to do more of that
Ginam13

Post by Ginam13 »

Nicholas Sparks or Debbie Macomber
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

I have to say Stephen King, Neil Gaiman or Agatha Christie.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

I have to agree with the person that started this thread. The first person that came to mind was Stephen King. King is really a master of the craft and there would undoubtedly be so much to learn from him. If Edgar Allan Poe was still living that would be the icing on the proverbial cake. Although, I know that there are many other authors with much to offer and I would welcome their opinions as well.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

Emma Newman. I love her writing style. She creates vivid scenes and very realistic characters without being wordy.
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
Cyndel Maria
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndel-maria.html

Post by Cyndel Maria »

This is better than the "who would you like to have coffee or a beer with" question. I would love to take a class with Billy Collins because he is one of my favorite poets and I love the way he thinks and writers. Margaret Atwood would be another because she writes so brilliantly but at the same time so oddly and almost fantasy-like I'm curious how her mind works, too. My favorite author is Salinger so it goes without saying he's my first answer to basically everything also.

Return to “Discuss Authors”