Anyone guilty of not remembering authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Angie Fernandez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1082
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Re: Anyone guilty of not remembering authors?

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I used to have this problem, and then I decided to keep a log of everything I have read (authors and books) on my computer. It has been very beneficial to me. I can even make notes of what I like and dislike about books/authors, and whether or not I want to read any more of their works.
G Duda
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-duda.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by G Duda »

I'm terrible with names. Half of the time, I can't even remember the name of the book, much less the name of the author! I have the same thing with actors, & musicians, & artists, etc, etc. I only tend to remember them if I've talked about them a lot, or if they've done something to stick out in my mind. Like, I definitely remember Neil Gaiman thanks to his presence on tumblr. I remember Arthur Conan Doyle cause of the wild story behind his killing of Holmes. I remember Rowling because of how much her transphobia has effected people, myself included. But ask me who wrote the Septimus Heap books from my childhood & I'll probably accidentally tell you the name of a painter I like :p (Ann Stokes, Angie Sage, can you blame me for getting them confused?)
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

Yes! But I am technically bad with names. So that's the reason why I cannot seem to remember an author's name most of the times. I definitely remember the plot and details first and always describe the characters too, because I forget their names as well! This type of forgetful nature is called 'Nominal Aphasia'.
Runan
G Duda
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-duda.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by G Duda »

Runan wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 14:24 Yes! But I am technically bad with names. So that's the reason why I cannot seem to remember an author's name most of the times. I definitely remember the plot and details first and always describe the characters too, because I forget their names as well! This type of forgetful nature is called 'Nominal Aphasia'.
That is not what Nominal Aphasia is, actually. I'm both a psychologist, & I have nominal aphasia myself. Nominal aphasia targets all words, it prevents me from recalling words as simple as 'stapler', it interferes with my daily life, and interrupts my speech. Nominal aphasia is a real disability that effects parts of your actual brain, & it is not just about you not remembering names. Lots of people are bad with remembering names without having Nominal Aphasia, something that quite literally effects their speech in daily life
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

G Duda wrote: 16 Nov 2023, 10:31
Runan wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 14:24 Yes! But I am technically bad with names. So that's the reason why I cannot seem to remember an author's name most of the times. I definitely remember the plot and details first and always describe the characters too, because I forget their names as well! This type of forgetful nature is called 'Nominal Aphasia'.
That is not what Nominal Aphasia is, actually. I'm both a psychologist, & I have nominal aphasia myself. Nominal aphasia targets all words, it prevents me from recalling words as simple as 'stapler', it interferes with my daily life, and interrupts my speech. Nominal aphasia is a real disability that effects parts of your actual brain, & it is not just about you not remembering names. Lots of people are bad with remembering names without having Nominal Aphasia, something that quite literally effects their speech in daily life
Yes, you are absolutely right. My fault for saying that. I was just trying to exaggerate. I don’t really mean it. Sorry.
Runan
Msasa Shabangu
Currently Reading: Love story of "Not a writer"
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msasa-shabangu.html
Latest Review: Love All the Way by Aurora Carafa

Post by Msasa Shabangu »

Guilty as charged! When I select a book to read, most especially in libraries, I seldomly look at the author. Instead, I look at the title of the book, the cover as well as the summary of the book at the back. I've particularly noticed that the reason I struggle with remembering authors is that the surnames are so complicated for me to remember 😂 I really feel guilty when I'm trying to talk about a book but I can't seem to remember the author.

Return to “Discuss Authors”