Stephen King

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Icon Stephen King

Post by TusharJoshi »

Stephen King has written some amazing horror stories. But his suspense thrillers have also been garnering much attention in recent times. Mr. Mercedes is the start of an amazing trilogy through which he proves his prowess as an author. What are some of his thrillers that you like?
Le-nic Pretorius
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-nic-pretorius.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Le-nic Pretorius »

TusharJoshi wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 12:13 Stephen King has written some amazing horror stories. But his suspense thrillers have also been garnering much attention in recent times. Mr. Mercedes is the start of an amazing trilogy through which he proves his prowess as an author. What are some of his thrillers that you like?
Hi! Have you read his novel ‘Desperation’? Definitely one of my favorites! I have quite the collection as well.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

So far, one of my favorite reads by King is his short story Autopsy Room 4. It's suspenseful and quite scary, a tale that could and possibly has happened in the real world.
bellalisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by bellalisa »

So so many...as I am a big Stephen King fan! Love his imagination & creativity! Some of my faves include Misery, Pet Semetaty, It, Needful Things, Bag of Bones, A Buick 8... I can't even think of them all, I just love so many! How about you?!
Ariel_Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arieljmartin.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Ariel_Martin »

I feel like The Dark Tower series is always my first thought when I hear Stephen King. He is without a doubt, my most-read author. It all started with The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Then Thinner and so on.
I re-read The Dark Tower series as an adult and not a know-it-all adolescent, and honestly, my favorite part about his writing is his self-awareness as an author. He knows his job is to tell the story just how the story is meant to be (which is rarely how we want it to go). Additionally, I always love how he sets an action scene; I cannot help but imagine it as a Quinton Tarantino movie (I mean common? First book, The Gunslinger, has an epic old western-style showdown all while Hey Jude is plunking away.)
The Dark Tower series is definitely a world of its own and I could go on and on, but yea...that's my favorite, highly recommend it. :)
Brittani Oplinger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittani-oplinger.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Brittani Oplinger »

There are a lot of Stephen King novels I like. I think my favorite all-time of his is The Shining. I know, everyone says that, but seriously. As a mama, the story has SO MANY levels of horror for me. ANYTHING happening to one of my kiddos. The fear that your partner could turn out to be a homicidal maniac underneath. Then you're one of those wives in the true-crime interviews saying, "I never thought he could do something like this." The fear that *something* is out to get you and it can't be stopped with a bullet or knife. I love the fight Jack has with himself to stay a good man, and I love the way the hotel uses his own weaknesses against him. It's an amazing story.
Shane Lucey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shane-lucey.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Shane Lucey »

ArielJMartin wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 01:44 I feel like The Dark Tower series is always my first thought when I hear Stephen King. He is without a doubt, my most-read author. It all started with The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Then Thinner and so on.
I re-read The Dark Tower series as an adult and not a know-it-all adolescent, and honestly, my favorite part about his writing is his self-awareness as an author. He knows his job is to tell the story just how the story is meant to be (which is rarely how we want it to go). Additionally, I always love how he sets an action scene; I cannot help but imagine it as a Quinton Tarantino movie (I mean common? First book, The Gunslinger, has an epic old western-style showdown all while Hey Jude is plunking away.)
The Dark Tower series is definitely a world of its own and I could go on and on, but yea...that's my favorite, highly recommend it. :)
Yes The Dark Tower is a great fantasy series. He is such a well rounded author.
Mary Bircher
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: I'll Stop the World
Bookshelf Size: 732
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-bircher.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mary Bircher »

My favorite is Duma Key...or maybe Bag of Bones. I loved the latest, Fairy Tale, and I am so excited for the book Holly to come out later this year! Holly is from the Bill Hodges trilogy (Mr. Mercedes), which is amazing too! Too many choices!!
Mutuma Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutuma-clare.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Mutuma Clare »

Here I have to go with the dark tower series. It captured my imagination and I could barely stop reading when I started
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

My brother loved the dark tower series too, but personally I enjoyed the collection of short stories that included Shawshank redemption, apt pupil and the body.

Cujo was also a great one for me.
mrmadam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mrmadam »

Despite being one of my favorite authors, many of his books are too long for what he has to say in those books.
Just finished Pet Semitary, and its one example. Its too long. It would be a better book if it is two times shorter.
Half of the book si pointless dialogue between unimportant characters... It makes the book boring.
T J 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-j-6.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by T J 6 »

I thought The Institute was unique and chilling.
asrb_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by asrb_ »

I love almost all of the books of Stephen King. The last one i read was Desperation and i loved it so much! It needs more recognition for sure.
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

My favorite book of his is Pet Sematary. The first time I read it, I could not put it down. I read it in one sitting ! I think that he really mastered the suspense and horror in this one.
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
The Keeper Jr
Favorite Book: The Cruel Prince
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-keeper-jr.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by The Keeper Jr »

I've only read The Dark Tower series from Stephen King and it was quite amazing. I want to read more from him because every reader has a favorite book from this author and that shows how brilliant he is.
"Once I did bad and that I heard ever. Twice I did good, but that I heard never." - Dale Carnegie
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Return to “Discuss Authors”