To Anybody Who Has Read Kafka

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: To Anybody Who Has Read Kafka

Post by mariana90 »

I read The Metamorphosis in high school. I was really surprised at how he managed to convey something so absolutely ridiculous and unbelievable in a really thoughtful and serious way. It was a really heartbreaking story, you can actually emote with a huge insect. This truly speaks to Kafka's mastery of the written work.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Oh, I struggled so hard to finish reading The Trial! It was truly mind-blowing! :o :o :o After that I enjoyed The Metamorphosis a few years ago and found it to be a little bit funny. I revisited the story recently after reading Murakami's Samsa in Love, in which he imagines the metamorphosis to go the other way around- the character becomes human again. I find these weird, yet entertaining and intriguing works to be a lot of fun.
gwynnesigel-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by gwynnesigel-1 »

This poem is a nice tribute to Kafka.

I am rereading some of his short stories 25 years after I read them the first time. This time I am struck by how he is able to make his characters come alive, practically jumping off the page, through his painting of their rich psychic landscapes. While I am still trying to get a handle on his deceptively complex narrative technique using third person narration, I found his technique to be really effective at providing access to the these landscapes and really relating to his characters' plight.

I simply cannot imagine --for example-- how someone who had become an insect overnight would not have completely lost his mind. But Kafka manages to stay the course and pull us into his character's world as he continues to evoke in painful and sometimes quite hysterical detail, the distressed Samsa's experience of living inside the body of this wretched creature. The whole effect seems quite brilliant to me.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

mariana90 wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 18:10 I read The Metamorphosis in high school. I was really surprised at how he managed to convey something so absolutely ridiculous and unbelievable in a really thoughtful and serious way. It was a really heartbreaking story, you can actually emote with a huge insect. This truly speaks to Kafka's mastery of the written work.
I really felt sorry for the poor fellow.The reaction of his family members to his transformation was especially heartbreaking.
NashTanui
Favorite Book: The Trafficking Murders
Currently Reading: The Not So Great American Novel
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nashtanui.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by NashTanui »

I recently read The Trial. I enjoyed reading it although the ending had such a tragic and disturbing ending. I am sure to read more of his work soon.
marksm121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marksm121 »

I have read a few parts, Really his story is a very sad one

Return to “Discuss Authors”