How do you find Khaled Hosseini's novels?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
thebutterflygirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebutterflygirl.html
Latest Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Re: What are your thoughts on Khaled Hosseini's books?

Post by thebutterflygirl »

rahilshajahan wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 11:21
thebutterflygirl wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 09:11 I liked The Kite runner. It was traumatic, but that is what life is sometimes. He had me crying at "For you, a thousand times over ".
But I also loved A thousand splendid suns . Strong female characters are my thing, but the two characters in the story portrayed how strong a woman can be even in the darkest phase she faces.
I've read only two of his books and I loved both of them.
For you a thousand times over. Just six words but so many paragraphs strong. Whenever I picture Hassan running for that dreaded kite and screaming this, I become more and more assured that Amir doesn't deserve him.

The Kite Runner screams 'Your actions have consequences'. What do you think of the inference?
YES.
The way he takes him for granted.
You should never treat a human being like that. I was so angry at Amir throughout the story .
I have a thing for beautiful lines, like what Amir's wife says to him about happiness.
To me, the consolation was that Amir made amends and the way the book ended.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

thebutterflygirl wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 10:21 YES.
You should never treat a human being like that. I was so angry at Amir throughout the story .
I have a thing for beautiful lines, like what Amir's wife says to him about happiness.
I think its safe to say that everyone hates Amir. The scene where he steals and hides the money under Hassan's bed sheet, to which later Hassan takes responsibility in front of Baba. Man, I just wanted to go there and give a proper whooping to Amir myself.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

Wow, A Thousand Splendid Suns stole and broke my heart into pieces. I loved that book with all my might. 'The Kite Runner,' was equally good, but it did not steal my heart the ways a 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' did. Khaled Hosseini is a definite force!
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

I love his books. They are some of my favorites because he writes in a very real way.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

cxsimpson wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 19:22 I love his books. They are some of my favorites because he writes in a very real way.
True. The stories are so emotional and hard-hitting, they often seem real.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
sblake26
Currently Reading: The New Jim Crow
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sblake26.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by sblake26 »

The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns are two of my favorite books of all time. They left a lasting impression on me. I especially loved that I got to learn more about cultures very different from my own.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Omg i have posted a similar post and no one's replied yet. Well back to the topic, Hosseini is one of my most favourite authors and i have read all of his works. He is the best story teller of our generation and i would absolutely love to read more. I wish he wrote more.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I absolutely love Khaled Hosseini. I had to study the Kite Runner for my A level in English lit and I loved it so much! I then read A Thousand Splendid Suns which is definitely my favourite and I have And the Mountains Echoed on my shelf currently and it's just staring at me, waiting for me to read it
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I loved reading Khaled Hosseini's books. The only book left is his 4th book named 'Sea Prayer'.
They are interesting and a must read.
Sequence in which I loved his books
1. The Kite Runner
2. A Thousand Splendid Suns
3. And the Mountains Echoed
Amna Khalid
F N Chamomile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-f-n-chamomile.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by F N Chamomile »

I think this is an old thread, but no problem. Haha. I have a copy of A Thousand Splendid Suns, which is both depressing and somewhat empowering, but my personal favorite is still The Kite Runner, which is similarly depressing but tearjerking. For the latter, I've also watched the movie, and I still talk about it until now.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

One of my favourite authors. His works made me develop a keen interest on Afghanistan.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

Khaled is one of my favorite authors. I have read the trio of The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and The Mountains Echoed. My favorite is The Kite Runner.

One indelible mark that his books have on me is the fact that I became interested in the affairs of Afghanistan as a country
Angie Fernandez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1071
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I have read all three of Khaled Hosseini's books, and I LOVED them all! Hosseini is an incredible writer with strong characters that stay with you long after you have finished his books. I cried like a baby when reading "The Kite Runner." Hosseini's descriptions of Hassan and Amir's life are so rich and vivid that the reader is transported to another time and place. I recommended his books to everyone I know and would love to read another by him.
Sheza Akbar
Favorite Book: A Dream For Peace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheza-akbar.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sheza Akbar »

I have read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' and 'The Kite Runner,' both of which are amazing, heartbreaking, and impactful. The author truly captures people's suffering. I remember crying a lot while reading both books.
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” ― John Green, Looking for Alaska
Sheza Akbar
Favorite Book: A Dream For Peace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheza-akbar.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sheza Akbar »

rahilshajahan wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 13:57
thebutterflygirl wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 10:21 YES.
I think its safe to say that everyone hates Amir. The scene where he steals and hides the money under Hassan's bed sheet, to which later Hassan takes responsibility in front of Baba. Man, I just wanted to go there and give a proper whooping to Amir myself.
AHHHHH....Exactly. Amir treated Hassan unfairly. Things could have worked out better if Amir hadn't made those decisions. Unfortunately, everyone suffered the consequences. :roll:
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” ― John Green, Looking for Alaska

Return to “Discuss Authors”