J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Cjs Corner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjs-corner.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Re: J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?

Post by Cjs Corner »

Honestly I am not sure I could pick, because they both are great in their elements.

Rick's focus on mythology and the way he ties it in to the story line is fantastic. It's well thought out and I don't recall anywhere where the story doesn't flow smoothly.

JK Rowling though is someone who is an amazing story teller and you can imagine her sitting down and telling her kids the Harry Potter series, and making up things as she goes when her kids ask her what water nymphs are or what species Buck Beak is, etc.

It's like comparing red apples to green apples. ha ha. They both have their uses and they both go amazing with certain things.
KaylaPete
Favorite Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
fav_author_id: 3139

Post by KaylaPete »

I love both of these authors but I find myself more drawn into the Harry Potter universe then any of the Riordan books.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I love both series, but I have to say I prefer J.K's writing to Riordan's. I am a huge fan of Harry Potter and Greek mythology, but the way the Harry Potter series is written and the world and characters it created, for me, is in general greater than Riordan's. I'm not saying I like Riordan's any less, but on a broader scope I prefer J.K.'s. I've even read some of her new stuff (Cuckoo's Calling) and it's not too bad. I would definitely read more of her books, and I want to. But Rowling DOES need to cool it with all this "revisiting characters" and "adding storylines to the Harry Potter world that definitely didn't happen." Like, as much as I adore Harry Potter, I think she needs to put it to rest.
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

When I was younger it would have been JK Rowling hands down. But over the last few years my opinion of her has fallen, so now I would say Rick Riordan. I read the Percy Jackson series for the first time when I was twelve, and I still love them!
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

My teenage life was spent reading Rick Riordan books. I have read the famous Percy Jackson Series, The Kane Chronicles and Heroes of Olympus Series. I loved how Rick was able connect the modern world with the antiquated Greek gods and be able to create a fantasy that was easy not just to read, but also to build in my mind. I have only read the first book of the Harry Potter Series but knowing the story, it was hard to continue reading all those big books. I know I might harbor a lot of hate from the Harry Potter fanbase for saying this but my vote is for Rick.
Afzain123
Favorite Book: Varjak Paw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afzain123.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Afzain123 »

J.K. Rowling. I just love her books, they are amazing.
Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

I think both authors are incredible, but there's something about J.K. Rowling's writing style that makes become engrossed in her books. She was the author that made me become adicted to reading and I can't imagine a childhood without Harry Potter.
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

I would definitely go for JK Rowling, it was her story that inspired my dreams of being a published author.
Mhanlon2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mhanlon2 »

I enjoy reading both J.K. Rowling and Rick Riordan. I think i prefer Rick Riordan more because of the adventures tied with not only Greek and Roman Mutjology but also Norse as well. I love learning about how they viewed the world and i even wrote down the gods and Goddess from all the books for later reference.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

In terms of style and storyline, I think both of them are awesome. Their books are loved my people the world over. But there is something about Rowling.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

I have read works by both the authors and I gotta say I go with JK Rowling. Riordan is damn good too but his writings are for children. harry potter grew with each book and the magic that came out of the words is so mesmerizing.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

Rick Riordan. Rowling did not show any growth with harry potter, it was just him doing the same thing over and over again with no change. Now they are overhyping the series to the point where she is now in it for money. Riordan now helps bring out other religions. Greek and Rome was him and now there are others who are taking up the cause elsewhere. Not sure how much Riordan is involved with it but I have seen his name on those books plus the other authors point him out.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I thoroughly enjoy the works from both authors, however, I find that HP is still a book I can pick up and read randomly at any time. the PJ series, and the ones following it, feel a bit more... kiddish to me, and I have to be in the right frame of mind/mood in order to actually be able to pick one of those up and enjoy it. I feel that JK's writing style is more mature, and timeless. Riordan's is more childlike, for whatever reason. Almost like... Riordan's world is.. omg, can't you believe this? and JK's world is... Hey, I'm here, I have been forever, deal with it and carry on.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

JK Rowling I would say is the better author, her characters, world, and prose have more depth and elegance to them in my eyes, but Riordan definitely has a younger audience focus, and his work has great educational value and fantastic diversity for a series that's targeted at youth
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Jk Rowling is a better author because her style is more mature and heart touching

Return to “Discuss Authors”