J.D. Robb vs Nora Roberts

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Re: J.D. Robb vs Nora Roberts

Post by anwidmer »

It the in death series is amazing im more a fan of the type of romance she wrote in those then am in in the romance she writes under her own name. Romance novels can all tend to become the same thing over and over just written slightly different in my opinion. That is what keeps me from reading them.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

I will say though of all the romance novels there are to choose from i would read Nora Roberts any day over any other. She truly is a skilled writer to say the least.
Natasha Ross
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Natasha Ross »

Hands down her "In Death" series is my all time favorite! Her husband is amazing and if this was my future I'd be game! She gives a good spin on honest hard working cops and the crap they put up with but also gives you that mind set of our possible advancements in the future, which I'm looking forward to being able to vacation off world lol!! :D
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I have yet to read J.D. Robb, it's been on my to-do! Still looking forward to it, though. I will get there.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I read about 7 of the J.D. Robb and got burnt out. They all started to run together. Been Reading NR since I was like 12. I love her romance that involves paranormal elements. The Key trilogy is my absolute favorite!!! I read every Nora book that comes out.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

TaaraLynn wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 13:37 I have yet to read J.D. Robb, it's been on my to-do! Still looking forward to it, though. I will get there.
Oh girl you are missing out!! Are you more romance or crime novels?
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 11:27 I read about 7 of the J.D. Robb and got burnt out. They all started to run together. Been Reading NR since I was like 12. I love her romance that involves paranormal elements. The Key trilogy is my absolute favorite!!! I read every Nora book that comes out.
Oh my gosh! I forgot about the key trilogy YES was awesome! Like i said THAT type of romance novel im down for
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

Carmen K wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 06:26 I read both but as Nora Roberts I do find them a bit more formulaic. These are for fun light reading that I'll probably wait for the library for. As for J.D. Robb I love that the characters build throughout the series and that you see even the "peripheral" characters grow and develop. I also enjoy the base relationship between Eve and Rourke and the fact that it's not just the one off "happily ever after" but that they experience real relationship struggles and differing view points. These one are a must buy and read immediately :)
I came here to say this about the characters in the In Death series. My step daughters often laugh because when they see me with a book it is often an 'In Death' one and they always say 'how cheerful!'. I do enjoy them but feel the last couple have been less good. I'm waiting to see if Eve and Roarke have children!
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Its quite strange to me how I devour J.D Robb books but I can never finish Nora Roberts ones. I have seriously contemplated in the past whether the author is one person.
robinep429
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by robinep429 »

I love reading her books under both names but I don't read the romance books .
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Braunsucre »

I'm yet to read her J. D Robb books but I've read several Nora Roberts and I love them.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Good question. I ironically find I absolutely love the R.D Robb novels, in spite of Eve's prickly abrasive nature. I do not enjoy Nora Roberts' books, even though the language is not rough. Maybe its because I enjoy solving crimes? But, Nora Roberts' plots also have mysteries, and I sometimes enjoy reading romance books by other authors, never Nora Roberts. Quite a mystery!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
elesap2018

Post by elesap2018 »

I really enjoy Nora Roberts romance novels, especially for the plot and character development. Each seemingly plain character turns out to be an amazing bouquet of emotions, struggles, challenges, strengths and weaknesses. I love mystery and magic plots as well. Romance is just a parallel story line to me. But I can’t read JD Robb series. I’ve read 2, just made myself, to give them a chance, but found them boring, predictable and unoriginal. How can that be? I think there are other authors who can tell a much more sophisticated and thrilling mystery, but no other who can psychological romance.
Claudia Thornton
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-thornton.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Claudia Thornton »

I adore Nora Roberts. J.D. Robb Dallas series. I have read every single one several times and am looking forward to reading Golden in Death tomorrow, which is the day it comes out. I really love the characters of Dallas and Peabody, not to mention Roarke, Feeney and even Trina. Trina simply makes me laugh at the way she keeps insisting that Dallas needs a beauty treatment. Mavis, of course, doesn't help the situation. I love the characters in this series and always look forward to when they introduce new ones. I doubt very much that will ever change, as I was introduced to this series when I was a teenager. I am having a serious love affair with the characters and the plot lines and while I can't claim I love every single book I do like most of them. Ask for Nora Roberts I simply don't have time to lead anymore full books, even if I would like to. Maybe someday.
Messy_mess

Post by Messy_mess »

I am a J.D. Robb fan. Totally in love with all characters. Nora Roberts is good, but i think J.D. Robb is much better. She is an amazing storyteller.

Return to “Discuss Authors”