J.D. Robb vs Nora Roberts

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
VictoriaR
Currently Reading: Thrones, Dominations
Bookshelf Size: 5

J.D. Robb vs Nora Roberts

Post by VictoriaR »

Many people seem to like this author writing under both names. I love her J.D.Robb books, the In Death series, partly because I love science fiction. And the characters are memorable.
But I've never been into the Nora Roberts romances. They seem totally unrealistic, all hunky heroes and plucky girls, stuff from high school daydreams. Which seems odd, because futuristic tales should be more unrealistic.
Can anyone tell me what draws them to the romances? What am I missing?
TinyPooky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TinyPooky »

Don't read them as romances. Seriously, her books have much more than that fluffy stuff to them. I actually read Nora's stuff for the thrills and plots more than the romances.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I've only ever read one Nora Roberts book called Public Secrets, but it cemented my respect for the author completely. I just loved the way she portrayed both the beautiful and the dark aspects of love.

As for what draws me to romance, its the junk food like quality of the genre. It isn't realistic and healthy and I know it, but its still feels good when I get to that last page where the couple have overcome all 'obstacles' and get to the 'Happy ever after stage'. Kind of similar to the feeling when our OTP finally becomes canon. Also, romance novels are generally easy reads as they don't demand my full attention. So they are perfect after a bad day at work or school.
Sugarbear

Post by Sugarbear »

I like most of the books written by Nora. I particularly enjoy the "In Death" series because of the characters, the storylines, and the bit of scifi.

With regard to the romances, I like the ones that are not paranormal or any type of "woo woo." They, to me, are simply beach reading with a bit more plot and character development. They are easy reads, one you can get lost in, and forget what else is going on in your life.

I freely admit I am a sucker for a happy ending. Life is much too challenging, I like happy endings. I ready strictly for enjoyment and escapism, and Nora tells a good story -- under any name.

Hope this helps.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree with the original post in this thread! I have read a bunch of JD Robb books and greatly enjoyed them. Granted, they are nothing new or overly exciting, but they make for a good, easy reads, that hold my interest. On the other hand, I have tried to read Nora Roberts and I don't think I've ever been able to finish a full book. I really don't get the appeal. I had no idea they were the same person until recently and I was very shocked! But I give Robb/Roberts a lot of credit for being able to write in two completely different styles. Especially given the number of books she is able to produce in a short amount o time.
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I love Nora Roberts - both the J D Robb and her romances. All of her romances have some other mystery or paranormal plot going on along with the romance and that's why I read them!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I prefer her J.D. Robb books also, for the same reasons. I'm much more attracted to that genre, versus the romances she writes as Nora Roberts. I actually only recently found out both names are the same writer.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I have never read any of her books under J.D. Robb, mostly because that doesn't tend to be my genre of choice. However, I have read many of her romances and typically enjoy them. There have been a few that are a little campy, like her "Inns Boonsboro Trilogy" or her "Bride Quartet" series (the latter which, I actually enjoyed, maybe because I was planning my own wedding at the time of reading - but, they were just light-hearted fun). I tend to be drawn to her romance books that have a strength in plot with the romance as a supporting thread. My all-time favorite book of hers is "The Villa" (lovers of wine will enjoy...murder mystery romance). I also really like her more recent series, "The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy: Dark Witch, Shadow Spell, & Blood Magick" (all about dark witches in Ireland) and her "Guardians Trilogy: Stars of Fortune, Bay of Sighs, & Island of Glass" (also of a fantasy mythological nature).
melleigha
Currently Reading: 30th century:escape
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by melleigha »

I prefer Nora Roberts, because I am not a big fan of the genre J.D. Robb writes under.
Carmen K
Favorite Author: J.D. Robb
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4006

Post by Carmen K »

I read both but as Nora Roberts I do find them a bit more formulaic. These are for fun light reading that I'll probably wait for the library for. As for J.D. Robb I love that the characters build throughout the series and that you see even the "peripheral" characters grow and develop. I also enjoy the base relationship between Eve and Rourke and the fact that it's not just the one off "happily ever after" but that they experience real relationship struggles and differing view points. These one are a must buy and read immediately :)
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

Nora Roberts, all the way. Though J.D Robb is an amazing author, too.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
CayeChaos
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by CayeChaos »

I totally agree with the "Nora Roberts all the way comment". The woman's ability to connect a whole family's tree worth of stories makes me jealous of her story telling ability. Her romance books just about always suck me in. I purely believe her characters seem so unrealistic simply because she describes them in that intense fashion of hers. Nora has plenty of romance novels where she plainly states that one (or both) main characters aren't overly beautiful, but plain.. Not to mention the books out there where one, or both, of the main characters happen to already be a parent. Anyhow, my point is she describes not only the characters themselves, but their life stories in such a way that you can help but to see them as glamorous women or buff heroes. I feel like she takes stories that could belong to any common person, and turns it into a beautiful masterpiece that's well past high school daydreams.
Shay+Leigh
Currently Reading:

Post by Shay+Leigh »

I love Nora Roberts mystery and thriller books especially all the "In Death" series when writing under the name J.D Robb.
Brooke04

Post by Brooke04 »

This was a very amazing book hope to see more
catgunter1

Post by catgunter1 »

The "In Death" series is totally enthralling. Once I start to read one I can hardly put it down. I find myself looking forward to bedtime, as that is when I read, just so I can see what happens next! Dallas and Roarke are perfectly matched!

Return to “Discuss Authors”