Dean Koontz or Stephen King?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Dean Koontz or Stephen King?

Post by Dael Reader »

I couldn't possibly choose. They're both such strong writers. From Koontz, Life Expectancy is one of my favorites. For King, 11/22/63 was the first of his novels that I ever read, and the one that hooked me on his writing.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I will be honest and say Dean Koontz I have enjoyed more. Although that could be because I scare too easy and Stephen King tends to frighten me in his stories.
Bruster
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bruster »

Both absolutely brilliant at what they do, I don't understand how anybody says either of these authors writing are poor? Sad to read this, anyway like I said at the beginning both just brilliant.
Colleen McKinney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Colleen McKinney »

I honestly couldn't choose. I read both all the time and enjoyed both very much. They have two different writing styles and I feel the only thing they have in common is the horror genre and they both have a great concept of psychology and how the mind would function under such difficult circumstances. They both have had a few books I couldn't relate to in any form, but Stephen King has a few I did start and couldn't finish. Most of his extremely huge novels I could skim through like any other great book, but there were a few that just weren't going to hold my attention no matter how I tried. My favorites by Stephen King are Eyes of the Dragon, The Green Mile (which I read to my now boyfriend over 20 years ago before we broke up back then and right before the movie came out!), The Stand and probably a few more that just aren't coming to me right now. Favorite short stories are the Body, The Long Walk (which I wish they would make a movie of!) And the Rita Hayworth (Shawshank Redemption). My favorites among Dean's are Watchers and The Odd Thomas series, but I only got up to Brother Odd on those. I don't think I realized more had come out because I started reading more Ann Rule and Leslie Rule after I got a certain age.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 598
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I like them both as they just amazing authors, but if have to choose, it will definitely be Stephen King. That man's imagination is captivating to say the least. Yes someone mentioned here that he does drag out the story line sometimes and I've noticed that especially with 'IT' but then again I think by doing it just sucks you into the story even more which makes it much more scarier and I LOVE scary :D
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

Both are amazing authors but I read a lot of Stephen King when I was younger so he would get my vote. King has a way of creating a world that is so intricate and layered that he’s always amazing to read.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Return to “Discuss Authors”