Colleen Hoover

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Mary Bircher
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: I'll Stop the World
Bookshelf Size: 732
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-bircher.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Colleen Hoover

Post by Mary Bircher »

I have only read Verity, and I thought it was terrible. She's so popular right now, but I'm hesitant to read another.
T J 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-j-6.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by T J 6 »

I agree that she isn’t the most amazing writer ever, but her books are hard to put down once you start reading them. She is a solid 4 out of 5 author. I loved Verity, but it didn’t change my life.
Lavansha Modi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lavansha Modi »

Well, from where should I start? The first book I ever read was "It ends with us". and After that I can't seem to stop myself from reading more books. I just love how Colleen Hoover expresses the context. Her novels often explore themes of love, loss, and self-discovery, and are known for their emotional depth and compelling characters.
Kara chan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kara-chan.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kara chan »

The controversy surrounding Colleen Hoover, a prominent romance author, is a complex and multifaceted issue that has sparked considerable debate within literary circles. There are several themes that underlie this controversy, ranging from accusations of plagiarism to allegations of problematic representation of race and gender within her novels. As a result, there are a number of reasons why an individual might choose not to like Colleen Hoover, and these reasons will depend on which themes they find most compelling.

One of the most prominent themes within the Colleen Hoover controversy is the accusation of plagiarism. Several readers and authors have accused Hoover of lifting passages and ideas from other novels without proper attribution. For example, in her novel "It Ends with Us," Hoover is accused of borrowing heavily from the memoir of a woman who survived an abusive relationship. Additionally, some of her other novels have been accused of taking plot points and characterizations from other romantic novels without acknowledging these sources.

This theme of plagiarism raises important ethical questions about the author's responsibility to acknowledge their sources and give credit where it is due. Readers who are concerned about this issue may feel that they cannot support Hoover as an author, as they believe that her actions are morally suspect and potentially damaging to the literary community as a whole.

Another theme that has emerged in the Colleen Hoover controversy is the representation of race and gender within her novels. Critics argue that Hoover's novels often employ stereotypes and problematic characterizations of people of color, and that these portrayals can be harmful and perpetuate negative stereotypes. For example, in some of her novels, African American characters are depicted as violent, aggressive, or overly sexualized, reinforcing damaging stereotypes about this community. Similarly, some of her novels have been criticized for perpetuating harmful tropes about women, such as the idea that they are helpless victims or that they need a male figure to rescue them.

This theme of problematic representation raises important questions about how authors can responsibly incorporate diverse characters into their novels. Readers who are concerned about this issue may feel that Hoover's novels perpetuate harmful stereotypes and that they cannot support an author who relies on these problematic tropes to tell their stories.

A related theme within the Colleen Hoover controversy is the representation of mental illness within her novels. Some readers and mental health professionals have criticized Hoover for using mental illness as a plot device or for romanticizing conditions such as depression or borderline personality disorder. These individuals argue that such representations can be harmful to individuals who suffer from these conditions, as they often do not accurately reflect the experience of living with mental illness and can perpetuate damaging stigmas.

This theme of mental health representation raises important questions about how authors can responsibly portray mental illness in their novels and what their responsibility is to readers who may be struggling with these conditions. Readers who are concerned about this issue may feel that Hoover's novels do not accurately represent mental illness and that they cannot support an author who perpetuates negative stereotypes or romanticizes these conditions.

Finally, the theme of authorship and creative control has emerged in the Colleen Hoover controversy. Some readers and authors argue that Hoover's use of "ghostwriters" to help her write her novels is problematic and represents a lack of true creative control over her work. Others have suggested that this practice is common in the literary industry and should not be viewed as a significant issue.

This theme of authorship and creative control raises important questions about the role of the author in the creative process and what their responsibilities are to their readers and the literary community. Readers who are concerned about this issue may feel that authors should have complete creative control over their work and that the use of ghostwriters undermines the integrity of the writing process.

Overall, the controversy surrounding Colleen Hoover is a complex and multifaceted issue that touches on a variety of important themes within the literary community. Depending on which themes resonate with them, individual readers may have a variety of reasons for not liking Hoover's work or choosing not to support her as an author. Ultimately, each individual must decide for themselves what issues are most important and how they want to engage with the literary community.
jeni-talia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeni-talia.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by jeni-talia »

Hoover is so popular that it's hard to get a hold of her books- even at the library! I've read about five of her works and I'm in love
Rashika05
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rashika05 »

Colleen Hoover is one of the best fictional writer you can say like I loved the book Verity which had everything I can say it was a satisfying book
litcat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litcat.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by litcat »

I've heard that she glorifies abuse in her books, thoughts on this? I haven't read any of hers yet myself.
RebekahD
Favorite Book: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Currently Reading: crown of midnight
Bookshelf Size: 336

Post by RebekahD »

I feel like I can credit Colleen Hoover with getting me back into reading as an adult. I was an avid reader as a child and through college, but then I kind of dropped off as I got out in the world. I read her Hopeless series and Ugly Love (one of my all time favorites), and back in 2015/2016, and I haven't put a book down since!
Alex Malone
Currently Reading: Rewilding Motherhood
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-malone.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Alex Malone »

litcat wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 10:01 I've heard that she glorifies abuse in her books, thoughts on this? I haven't read any of hers yet myself.
I have only read All Your Perfects and the relationship dynamic that she promotes in that book is insidiously unhealthy. It has put me off reading any other books of hers, good writer or not.
Amal Hamami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Amal Hamami »

I’m reading maybe not and I can’t stoppp !!!
Msasa Shabangu
Currently Reading: Love story of "Not a writer"
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msasa-shabangu.html
Latest Review: Love All the Way by Aurora Carafa

Post by Msasa Shabangu »

Colleen Hoover is an absolute favorite of mine. Before discovering her books, I never read more than 1 book by the same author. I started with It Ends With Us and I just fell in love with her writing style, the plot, description of the characters and everything in between. What I like the most about her romance novels is that they're not your typical boy meets girl. It's so much deeper than that. Her books portray love in as many forms as it comes in.
Ranju Rajbhar
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Ranju Rajbhar »

Well, from where should I start? The first book I ever read was "It ends with us". and After that I can't seem to stop myself from reading more books. I just love how Colleen Hoover expresses the context. Her novels often explore themes of love, loss, and self-discovery, But verity is another level.one week I was like how can a person do that.
Faiza Khan 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Faiza Khan 12 »

Agree I loved the book it's really amazing and once u start reading it's definitely hard to put it down and u can't stop yourself from reading it and all the story in the book remain in your mind Collen Hoover all books are super amazing and I love the way she have described love in many ways i would give her 5 out of 5 ratings and now she is a famous writer and i would love to read her other books as wel
Mary-le
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Mary-le »

I'm completely in love with all her books!!
Kelli Trotter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelli-trotter.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Kelli Trotter »

I've read a handful of books by Colleen Hoover. My favorite is Verity while my least favorite was the Finding Cinderella. I could tell how early she was in her writing career with the second named book. Verity was a great thriller that I recommend to all of my friends.

Return to “Discuss Authors”