Opinions on Jojo Moyes

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Opinions on Jojo Moyes

Post by Sarah_Khan »

What do you guys think of the author Jojo Moyes. I've read 3 of her books: Me Before You, The Girl You Left Behind, and The Last Letter From Your Lover.
The only book I actually enjoyed reading is The Girl You Left Behind.
I feel like Jojo Moyes is overrated as an author. Her novels don't emit any emotions from me even though she's won awards for best romantic novel of the year... twice. The plots of her books are also very predictable. I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't enjoy her writing.
What are your opinions on her as an author?
How many books have you read by her and which ones? :)
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I have only read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes but I really enjoyed this book. I did not have a problem feeling emotions for her characters and actually cried several times with this book (I am not a crier, so that to me was surprising). I agree that the plot of her books are predictable, but her ability to writer developed characters saves that for me.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I read "Me Before You" and "Me After You" (or whatever it was called), both for a client who wanted me to review them. I read the second book first and did not care for it, but thought the first book must be better as it had led to a sequel and received a movie deal. However, I did not enjoy "Me Before You" at all. I found both characters to be unappealing and could not for the life of me figure out why either one of them would want the other. Not sure if her other novels are similar, but I was disappointed in both of these and probably will not opt to read any more of her work.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I've only read Me Before You. I see where readers come from that the disabled character was downtrodden, but I like how the book delves into the harsh feelings and circumstances people of the disabled community feels. I would argue, however, that the movie seemed better than the book, and I empathized more with the televised characters than the written ones.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Nelle10
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Nelle10 »

I did not enjoy Me After You, I struggled with trying to finish the book. I had a few chapters left and never finished it. I was not interested in the random stranger she took in off the streets (Stranger had rich parents). Her stories stays along the lines that “money cannot buy you happiness” I did read Me Before You as well and I thought the movie was better than the book.
jswest82
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jswest82.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jswest82 »

I had a little difficulty getting into 'Me Before You' initially but after a few chapters I was hooked. I, like another reader, cried a couple of times and I really ugly cried at the end. I then saw the movie when it came out and was SOOOOO disappointed in the screen adaptation.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I thouroughly enjoyed Me Before You. I hated the sequel, After You. This is one of those examples of a time when an author should have let the story end.
Giselle abg
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giselle-abg.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Giselle abg »

I’ve read Me Before you, I absolutely loved it, but I cried a lot!! I think that it is a book with a thematic really hard to get over. :cry2:
hanna adel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hanna adel »

Jojo Moyes is an amazing writer , she always finds a way to make her books relatable for readers . I personally enjoyed the book 'me before you' , it presented all the stages taken to have the right to say I am in love with that person ;moreover ,this book was extremely emotional . Louisa Clark was one of my favorite characters, she was a simple girl and like any other she didn’t think of how much hurt she would feel if she fell in love with William ;however, I can’t deny the fact that it was extremely surprising the fact that William chose his comfort over his love for Louisa. Overall this is a book of not only love but sacrifice , care and patience ,like all the other books Jojo Moyes wrote.
Last edited by hanna adel on 28 Jun 2021, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Laura P 2
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-p-2.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Laura P 2 »

I read a lot of her books, most of them I don't remember anymore but as I recall, I enjoyed reading every single one of them! And "The Girl You Left Behind" was one of my favorites.

Return to “Discuss Authors”