Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Mama Day03
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by Mama Day03 »

Also love books by Iris Johannson, Lisa Gardner, Michael Connelly, John Sanford, Catherine Coulter,
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

J. K. Rowling, when I was about 11, and shortly after Jane Austen, with Pride and Prejudice. I remember I also had a period of reading Allain de Botton right after entering high school too.

But J. K. Rowling was my first love :) .
carleecane
Currently Reading: Two Weeks
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by carleecane »

I first began with Melody Carlson because my library at the time had a ton of books by her. I fell in love with reading. Then it was Tracie Peterson and Colleen Coble.
GC50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gc50.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by GC50 »

Hey! I decided that I love reading after I discovered The Little Prince, so, for me, who started everything is Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Robert Ludlum, I put all the blame on you. I read his book The Prometheus Deception and I have never looked back. I wish he was around to write some more, especially with all the technology there is now, I can imagine a book about a nerdy hacker bringing a government to its knees because of a cyber attack targeting their central bank or federal reserve. I wish he was around, I really do.
Hina_rehan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hina_rehan »

JKRowling was the reason I started reading. After I had completed the harry potter series. I realized something was missing and I had a type of an empty hollow feeling. So I started reading more books which led to the improving of my English writing skills 8) !
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SavannahJones »

I've read everything I could get my hands on since I learned to read as a kid, but J. K. Rowling really started it all. I started reading Harry Potter in elementary school, and by 4th grade had read it seven times. My mom actually banned me from reading Harry Potter for a while until I branched out. I should honestly reread Harry Potter sometime.
cassiekeech2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: -2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cassiekeech2019 »

When I was a young girl my Aunt bought me "The Little House on The Prairie" series of books. I may have read one or two. Then in my teenage years, I would pick a book just by its cover, usually a scary one. I found myself drawn to books written by John Saul. He was the first author I think I recognized. Of course this lead me to Stephen King and Dean Koontz.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I used to read a lot as a kid, mainly Jacqueline Wilson, Lemony Snicket, and J. K. Rowling. The Harry Potter book series started when I was too young to read novels myself so my mum used to read it to me, and as my reading progressed we would read it to one another because neither of us wanted to be the last one to know what happened in the books! Although I enjoyed reading otherwise I think that the Harry Potter series was the game changer for me.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Trinity Griffin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Trinity Griffin »

I feel like R.L Stine actually started it all for. When I was around 4 years of age I remember watching the "Goosebumps" series of tv which sometimes gave me nightmares. I became so eager that I started writing books, fables, story, etc based of that type genre. 😊
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I don't think there is any one author that started my love for reading. My mom read to me from the moment I was born, and even before that, so I would have to say that it's really my mom who encouraged my love for reading. As far as my love for the fantasy genre, though, reading Tolkien when I was little definitely got that ball rolling!
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

C.S. Lewis - 7th grade ELA - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. That is when I started liking fiction.
Fiyin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Fiyin »

Definitely Dan Brown. Angel's and demons opened my eyes to the thrill of book reading.
JR_Keller
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by JR_Keller »

I'd chose JK Rowling.Being known for her best-selling series Harry Potter, I fell in love with book reading after reading Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone. I could probably give credit to my passion for reading to Geronimo Stilton's Series.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

If there was an award for this, it would go to none other than Enid Blyton!
There are many authors I've read after her and loved just as much; perhaps even more. But if it wasn't for her, I never would've begun to love this amazing habit of reading. :)

Return to “Discuss Authors”