Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Was not much of a reader until I read my first Stephen king novel. Ever since, reading is my favorite thing to do.
amjohnson13
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

J. K. Rowling
I was eleven back then and all I had read before Harry Potter was a couple of local comic magazines. I haven't read any book in the series for ages now but I'm so grateful to her for providing my eleven-year-old heart with the potterverse! At the time, it was the only place I could call home!
Lefrog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lefrog »

The classics bored me to tears in school but when my sister told me about J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, I finally found my drug of choice.
Gift25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift25.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Gift25 »

Dr. Seuss was the author that started it all for me of course! I am still in awe of his ability to use poetry as a form of storytelling. It’s truly ageless and timeless. The characters are otherworldly and alien, yet familiar. I also was inspired by, Good Night Moon, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Where the Sidewalk Ends and Judy Blume books.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

My very first novel I believe was either a Dean Koontz or Sidney Sheldon (can't remember which) I was, at the time, too young to be reading. It was the second novel, Odd Thomas, (Dean Koontz for certain) that really got me though and what kick-started this unending passion for reading. I think the fact that my mother collected a virtual library also helped with that.
Andy_C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andy-c.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Andy_C »

Gift25 wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 04:25 Dr. Seuss was the author that started it all for me of course! I am still in awe of his ability to use poetry as a form of storytelling. It’s truly ageless and timeless. The characters are otherworldly and alien, yet familiar.
I never had Dr Seuss growing up, but I read him to my two daughters now and we all adore his work together. It really is an astounding body of work and, as you say, timeless. My particular favourites are the lorax and the horton stories...
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I always remember reading, but i remember the first author I really read most of their stuff was probably R.L. Stein.

But I do remember reading Stephen King for first time (The Stand - I found it at a garage sake) and feeling like "Oh wow...so this is what reading can be like!)

I also like to credit this discovery of King for my disinterest in the Harry Potter books. As I like to say "Harry and his little problems are nothing compared to The Losers Club dealing with Pennywise"
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
AnnaPap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annapap.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by AnnaPap »

JK Rowling. The first Harry Potter was the first book I ever read when I was very little and I've loved books ever since. She opened a whole new world for me and also made me see that books could be an amazing way to spend your time (and sometimes even a great source of solace).
Nikki41
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nikki41 »

26 years ago a friend gave me a copy of
'murder on the Orient express' by the late great Agatha Christie. I was completely hooked, and finished the book in 6 Hours, only stopping for toilet break's🙈🙈. The next day i went out and brought 'death on the nile' and the 'murder of Rodger Ackroyd' and this started my Agatha Christie collection and consequently my love affair with Hercules Poirot and Agatha. Once i had read nearly everything that she had ever written i decided to try out other authors. I will always be indebted to Agatha Christie, without her i might never have experienced the true delight's that i get from reading an amazing book. I have watched a few films of books that i have read, and never ever have they compared to the version that i read, and imagined whilst reading the book, i have always found my imagination and the authors wording far superior to any film that i have watched. I would definitely rather read the book version than watch the film, everytime.
Giselle abg
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giselle-abg.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Giselle abg »

For me it was Rick Riordan.
Gift25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift25.html

Post by Gift25 »

Andy_C wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 18:32
Gift25 wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 04:25 Dr. Seuss was the author that started it all for me of course! I am still in awe of his ability to use poetry as a form of storytelling. It’s truly ageless and timeless. The characters are otherworldly and alien, yet familiar.
I never had Dr Seuss growing up, but I read him to my two daughters now and we all adore his work together. It really is an astounding body of work and, as you say, timeless. My particular favourites are the lorax and the horton stories...
My favorites are Green Eggs and Ham and the Lorax.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

As silly as it sounds it was Nora Roberts, and I was much too young to be reading and to understand her style of writing. It’s true though and I continue to read basically everything she writes.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

John Grisham
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I first started reading books by Michael Morpurgo when I was a small child. He had a unique writing style, and his stories were great.
Angu123ruly
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Angu123ruly »

Cathy Cassidy is my all time favourite author..I read her book "Angel Cake"...and then I was reading it again and again..I really love the way she organises the characters in her story and the ending parts..

Return to “Discuss Authors”