Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I remember reading Mills and Boon books when I was younger, and I have loved books as far back as I can remember, BUT what really opened my heart for love of books was JD Robb's In Death Series books. Her books are futuristic crime and detective books of Eve Dallas. The series captivated me from the start and I started collecting these books. Every character in her books grow and although new characters and criminals do change come into play, the main characters are there to stay and it is like a movie playing through your mind while reading. There isn't a single thing I disliked about the In Death Series books and I still find myself going back to them from time to time! JD Robb is an alias for Nora Roberts.
Winter44
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter44.html
Latest Review: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1) by Alex Zadeh

Post by Winter44 »

Definitely Enid Blyton with her Famous Five Series and Elizabeth Allen.
Marjenmom17
Favorite Book: The Traitor's Kiss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marjenmom17.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Marjenmom17 »

I have always liked reading and enjoyed most of the books I was assigned to read in school, but I will never forget the fateful day when I won the Pi-day competition when I was in 7th grade. The prize was a free book from the librarian's favorites collection. I grabbed the first book in Tamora Pierce's Tortall collection. It was my first chance to read a strong female lead who I really vibed with. I will always credit Tamora Pierce and her heroine Alanna for insatiable love of reading.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

For me it was Cynthia Voight with her book, "Homecoming". I loved that book SO HARD. :)
Kirimi254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirimi254.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Kirimi254 »

Chinua Achebe. "Things fall apart"
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. My mom read his Sherlock Holmes collection to my brother and I as bedtime stories. We're both still avid readers today because of it.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

Maybe the Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer were the springboard for me. In terms of series, I devoured CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia when I was in elementary school.
Robinlloyd17
Currently Reading: Fair cronies and felonies
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinlloyd17.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Robinlloyd17 »

When I was about 10 years old, my dad challenged me. He said he would read all the Hardy Boys books and I would read all the Nancy Drew books and see who could read them all first. Lol! That kicked off my reading and made me fall in love with mystery books! Thank you Dad! I will forever remember how much fun that was even though I have no idea who won! :techie-studyingbrown:
McAlpine
Currently Reading: The IHOP Papers
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by McAlpine »

I remember reading James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl when I was a child. The book was copyrighted in 1961, but was still popular when I read it. I really loved the book! I could relate to James very well. Dahl started it for me.

I read Willy Wanka and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl next. Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl, which was copyrighted in 1975, was new when I read it. After these three books, I had filled up with Dahl's playful moods and moral perspectives.

Dahl had inspired me to read more books and learn to write. He had been a father figure to me, too. I remember guiding my moral judgments with Dahl's lessons in elementary school. These lessons lasted through the twentieth century.

My personality was sustained by Dahl's stories until I read Jaws, The Deep, and The Island by Peter Benchley. At that point, I grew up from fear. I had been soothed by Dahl for years, and frightened into adulthood by Benchley. I still do remember the comfort that I got from Dahl's books.
asrb_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by asrb_ »

For me it was Cassandra Clare with ShadowHunters and then Stephen King with Misery.
Sheza Akbar
Favorite Book: A Dream For Peace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheza-akbar.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sheza Akbar »

I've been an avid reader of novels since my childhood. I cherished classical children's novels, such as the Harry Potter series and White Fang. However, "Make Me" by Lee Child and "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown hold a special place in my heart as my two favorite novels. These books left me in awe with their thrilling combination of mystery, crime, murder, and suspense all rolled into one captivating narrative.
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” ― John Green, Looking for Alaska
Ayesha Faraz
Currently Reading: Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-faraz.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Ayesha Faraz »

I loved reading books by Enid Blyton as a kid. Secret Seven, Malory Towers, The Naughtiest Girl and all her other stories started my love for books and stories.
Shilpy Bhasin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpy-bhasin.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by Shilpy Bhasin »

Only and only Enid Blyton. My first book ever was "The Folk of the Faraway Tree".
Angie Fernandez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1071
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I was the little girl who always got in trouble for staying up late and reading way past her bedtime (with her flashlight under the bedsheets). The authors that got me hooked on reading were Laura Ingalls Wilder ("Little House on the Prairie Series") and Carolyn Keene ("Nancy Drew Series"). After I devoured both of these series, I read everything and anything I could get my hands on. That pretty much describes me today.
nam_ratha_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by nam_ratha_ »

For me it will definitely be Sir Author Conan Doyle and Dan Brown. I always have been a biggest fan of solving mysteries and learning new angle in every way. Most fav of Conan Doyle's will be "Sherlock Holmes" and the first ever book I read Dan Brown's was "Angels and Demons". It captured my soul.

Return to “Discuss Authors”