Do good Authors have a high IQ?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
mzv1966
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do good Authors have a high IQ?

Post by mzv1966 »

Creating a book requires exceptional intellectual capacity.
In my opinion, authors with a high IQ, usually above 100, are more likely to produce works that are widely read and endure over time.
As an example, Homero had an IQ of 164, while Victor Hugo and Dostoyevski had an IQ of 160 each. I found these IQ scores on the internet. Additionally, I discovered some websites that measure IQ but I am unsure if they are reliable.

Has anyone ever measured their IQ?.

I'm going to try it and let you know.
Ceildric
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceildric.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Ceildric »

I would be highly skeptical of anyone claiming to be able to accurately calculate IQ scores of historical figures that lived long before the test and scale were conceived of. There is a question of the accuracy and value when applied to living persons, let alone for people that never could have taken the test, and who lived in very different times and places.

That aside, I both agree and disagree with your general premise. I agree in that I too think that having high intelligence correlates with writing works that stand the test of time. I disagree in that you initially suggest that, "creating a book requires exceptional intellectual capacity," which I find to be false. Anyone can write a book, but as we seem to agree, it takes some intelligence to be conveying something that will be of value across time and space.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

I think that the correlation between a high IQ and successful writing is debatable. Writing involves creativity, empathy, and communication skills, which aren't solely determined by IQ. IQ tests also have limitations, and scores may not always be reliable. Many successful authors haven't measured their IQ, and creative abilities vary widely. There is no credible evidence supporting specific IQ scores for historical figures like Homer, Victor Hugo, or Dostoyevsky. The notion of assigning IQ scores to individuals from the past is speculative and often lacks reliable data. I would approach such claims with skepticism and consider the historical context and limitations of IQ assessments.
João Ramos
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

Yes and no. A person with a low IQ cannot perceive the nuances of real life and organize a cohesive text to the point of becoming a good writer. Still, I see a scenario where there is a great writer with an IQ of 130 and a genius with an IQ of 180 who is a mediocre writer.

Return to “Discuss Authors”