Who is your King or Queen of Cyberpunk?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Hans Olsen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Who is your King or Queen of Cyberpunk?

Post by Hans Olsen »

Philip K Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Bladerunner)
Williams Gibson - Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive
Walter Jon Williams - Hardwired, Solip-System, Voice of the Whirlwind
Rudy Rucker - Software, Wetware, Freeware, Realware

These guys are just a few of my favourites from the 80’s and 90’s. Voice of the Whirlwind is a personal favourite, but imho - Gibson’s Sprawl series absolutely exemplifies cyberpunk.

What are your thoughts?
Laine Baker
Currently Reading: Ghost in the Machine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Laine Baker »

Thought I’d replied to this, and just checked back to see what you or others thought -but i guess it didn’t save! I think Gibson is the hands down winner. Honourable mention to Dick, but DADoES was a bit of a one off (unless someone wants to correct me?).
Ceildric
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceildric.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Ceildric »

I agree with both of you: William Gibson is definitely number one.

As far as Phillip K. Dick... besides DADoES, Flow My Tears the Policeman Said could be considered cyberpunk in my opinion also, but I'm not sure if any of his other work really would count (I need to read more Dick though).

Harlan Ellison, who wrote many short stories across many sub-genres of fantasy, sci-fi, and horror, had a few seminal works of cyberpunk to his credit as well.

Return to “Discuss Authors”