Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Re: Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

I'm sad to say, J.K.Rowling. There's so much fuss about the Harry Potter series. when I try reading her books I get bored pretty quickly. I enjoyed the Harry Potter movie series but that's about it.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Charles Dickens. I have started A Tale of Two Cities about three times and have aborted it before the third chapter. Bleh. Just not my style.
Ashley Malia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-malia.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ashley Malia »

J. R. R. Tolkien
Stephen King
R. L. Stine

J.K Rowling is another author that, as I get older, I decreasingly enjoy her writing.

Their styles of writing are not easy to follow and have failed to catch my attention to entice me to read more.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

For some reason i could not bring myself to read Tolkien's work. Despite all my friends holding him to a godly status in the fantasy world
AnnaMarie Collins
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamarie-collins.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AnnaMarie Collins »

I recently tried to read Tracy Wolff, and I just couldn't stand the writing style. I didn't finish the book.
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

J.K. Rowling. This has nothing to do with politics one way or the other. I just never got into Harry Potter. My wife loves the series, and she got me to read the first book last year. She told me how the books age up as the series goes on, so they become less YA, or at least older YA by the end. I just wasn't interested to go on that reading journey. The story is a coming of age tale, almost all YA go through this, but most don't take 7 books to do so.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

EL James. I don't have anything against her as a person. I just don't like her books. I never understood the hype.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

For me the first name that popped into my head was Ernest Hemingway and then Charles Bukowski were close seconds.
I could never get into those two.
unimatrix-420
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unimatrix-420.html
Latest Review: Star Bright by A. F. Carcirieri, Jr

Post by unimatrix-420 »

grammy57 wrote: 05 Jan 2017, 09:41 Stephen King
I have to agree with you here! Stephen King's work is okay, but in my humble opinion, it doesn't live up to the hype people make about it. And frankly, I think he tends to over-tell stories sometimes -- he'll have entire scenes in books that just kinda droll on for pages and in the end add absolutely nothing to the overall story. :roll:
Melissa Katherine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-katherine.html
Latest Review: True Teryn by S.G. Blaise

Post by Melissa Katherine »

Colleen Hoover. I keep seeing her recommended and talked about in all of the bookish Facebook groups I'm in. I read Verity because of how widely recommended it was and it sounded like something I'd like. I'm not a big romance fan, so I haven't been remotely interested in her other books, but Verity is also a thriller, so I figured I'd read it to see what all the hype was about. I did not enjoy it. I liked the story enough to continue reading, but the writing style was juvenile in my opinion. I was more just intrigued by the mystery and suspense of the story, but none of the characters were even likeable. I will not be reading another book by Colleen Hoover.
Dearz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dearz »

Stephen King of course
Quizlit4Stephen
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Quizlit4Stephen »

Kristin Hannah, had the misfortune to read The Nightingale for my book club. Awful book

George R.R Martin, really don't enjoy his writing
piajmitchell12+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by piajmitchell12+ »

Similar to another user on this thread, I recently came across Colleen Hoover while doom-scrolling on TikTok. As a fan of thrillers and romance, I tried to make my way through Verity and just... struggled. The plot had potential but by the end of the book it was not living up to its potential.

A friend of mine had It Ends With Us on her bookshelf and we had a long discussion where she said it felt like reading a Wattpad story back in the early 2000s.
SheiDa
Favorite Book: Cop Town
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SheiDa »

Bad Macaw wrote: 05 Jan 2017, 10:38
I second this. I've actually come to the point where my hate for her books has become almost irrational. I can't help it, I just really, really dislike her books.[/quote]

Hahaha the irrational comment made me think of Sophie Hanna and the "new" "Poirot" "books".

I'm a really REALLY big fan of Agatha Christie. So when I heard somebody would be writing new Poirot books, I had mixed feelings. I ended up reading the first one, I WANTED so much to have new Poirot stories...What a disappointment. I HATED everything about the book.

After that, people have told me "but hey, her other mystery books are really good!" and I'm just like
NO
NOOOOOOOOO
NO!
:hand:
NO.
NEVER.
NO.
[/quote]
And here I was, just starting to read one of her novels.
SheiDa
Favorite Book: Cop Town
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SheiDa »

piajmitchell12+ wrote: 16 Jun 2023, 18:38 Similar to another user on this thread, I recently came across Colleen Hoover while doom-scrolling on TikTok. As a fan of thrillers and romance, I tried to make my way through Verity and just... struggled. The plot had potential but by the end of the book it was not living up to its potential.

A friend of mine had It Ends With Us on her bookshelf and we had a long discussion where she said it felt like reading a Wattpad story back in the early 2000s.
I honestly don't know why people like her books and I agree with you on the Wattpad story

Return to “Discuss Authors”