Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
asrb_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

Post by asrb_ »

Definitely J.K Rowling. I'm sorry but i don't understand why everyone loves her or her books.
I mean, obviously every opinion is valid, there is no right or wrong in this, but i just can't read any of her books.
jeni-talia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeni-talia.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by jeni-talia »

Hear me out..... Shakespeare lol!
Kaylyn_Marie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

Unpopular opinion: Stephen King.

I think his writing style is bland and he's too over-hyped to the point that other horror authors don't get a turn in the spotlight for some amazing works.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Kaylyn_Marie
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

Agreed! I feel that other indie horror authors deserve the spotlight more. His classics are okay but I find his writing style so bland and overly descriptive.
grammy57 wrote: 05 Jan 2017, 09:41 Stephen King
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
devtastic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442

Post by devtastic »

Bad Macaw wrote: 05 Jan 2017, 10:00
grammy57 wrote:Stephen King
I don't like Stephen King's writing either! I find it so dull! :roll2: I love horror, but I have to roll my eyes when people recommend his books
I do like some of the film adaptations though!
I agree entirely with this!! It constantly blows my mind how many movies are "based on" his novels and I've never seen a trailer that convinced me that maybe the book seemed like something I wanted to read!
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Melissa Katherine wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 10:53 Colleen Hoover. I keep seeing her recommended and talked about in all of the bookish Facebook groups I'm in. I read Verity because of how widely recommended it was and it sounded like something I'd like. I'm not a big romance fan, so I haven't been remotely interested in her other books, but Verity is also a thriller, so I figured I'd read it to see what all the hype was about. I did not enjoy it. I liked the story enough to continue reading, but the writing style was juvenile in my opinion. I was more just intrigued by the mystery and suspense of the story, but none of the characters were even likeable. I will not be reading another book by Colleen Hoover.
^^^^ this.

I've also tried Verity out of curiosity. I disliked all the characters, I found the twists very predictable and I felt so bored. (Don't even get me started on the countless, useless sex scenes...)
Besides the general hype, I've also read that a lot of her books are problematic and romanticize abuse. Big no no for me.
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Kaylyn_Marie wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 13:54 Unpopular opinion: Stephen King.

I think his writing style is bland and he's too over-hyped to the point that other horror authors don't get a turn in the spotlight for some amazing works.
Definitely have a love-hate relationship with Stephen King. His writing style doesn't bother me so much (probably because I read them translated into French for the most part). I also have the fond memories factor, since It and Pet Sematary were the first 'adult' books I ever read.
I often give his books either 5 or 1 stars, rarely any ratings in-between haha.

And I agree about the Indie authors!! It's infuriating that when a book is good, people automatically compare the author to him.
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

anais_ wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 00:50
Melissa Katherine wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 10:53 Colleen Hoover. I keep seeing her recommended and talked about in all of the bookish Facebook groups I'm in. I read Verity because of how widely recommended it was and it sounded like something I'd like. I'm not a big romance fan, so I haven't been remotely interested in her other books, but Verity is also a thriller, so I figured I'd read it to see what all the hype was about. I did not enjoy it. I liked the story enough to continue reading, but the writing style was juvenile in my opinion. I was more just intrigued by the mystery and suspense of the story, but none of the characters were even likeable. I will not be reading another book by Colleen Hoover.
^^^^ this.

I've also tried Verity out of curiosity. I disliked all the characters, I found the twists very predictable and I felt so bored. (Don't even get me started on the countless, useless sex scenes...)
Besides the general hype, I've also read that a lot of her books are problematic and romanticize abuse. Big no no for me.
Yuppp same! I didn't even bother reading her after all that hype.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Bandersnatch wrote: 05 Jan 2017, 10:07 Cassandra Clare. I simply don't like her writing, but then there was also all the drama about possible plagiarism and stuff and yeah, not a big fan of hers.
I used to be her fan. Then slowly change happened. I learned about the same plagiarism everyone was speaking about. And her works were becoming more like cheap dramas. Just recently, after Chain of Thorns, I was converted.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Ceildric
Currently Reading: Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceildric.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Ceildric »

I want to chime in and agree with everyone that's said Stephen King.

While there are plenty of worse authors out there that have come and gone, he seems to me one of the most overrated.
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

Kafka. The most overrated writer of all time.
Anxieee Mishra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anxieee Mishra »

Colleen Hoover; everybody around me seems obsessed with her books. but I just cant seem to like them at all. I tried, believe me.
Sav Sparkman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

asrb_ wrote: 06 Jul 2023, 20:19 Definitely J.K Rowling. I'm sorry but i don't understand why everyone loves her or her books.
I mean, obviously every opinion is valid, there is no right or wrong in this, but i just can't read any of her books.
I agree with you, but so many of my friends are potterhead so I can never talk about it! I think through the Harry Potter series her writing definitely improved, but I tried reading the first few and just couldn’t get into them. I found her writing style boring and her characters flat. I think a lot of what there is to enjoy about that series is the imagination that the fans can put into it, not necessarily JK Rowling’s writing. When I read them I was honestly surprised those books are so universally popular. They’re alright, not the worst I’ve read by far, but I’ve read many better series.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller
Whiney Jones
Favorite Book: The Movie Chair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whiney-jones.html
Latest Review: Riley Youngblood and the Passport to Santalamanchia by B. F. Martindale
2024 Reading Goal: 400
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Whiney Jones »

Stephen king. I personally think his books are boring.
:mrgreen:

Return to “Discuss Authors”