Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Bad Macaw
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bad-macaw.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

Post by Bad Macaw »

Everybody's opinions are valid and valuable, this isn't about being right or wrong, I'm just curious.
I have friends who like Nicholas Sparks and Paulo Coelho, and I simply don't understand why. I've tried reading some of their books but ended up throwing them across the room.

Who are your most disliked authors/books? I'm curious to see if somebody names one of my favorite ones :)
grammy57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grammy57.html
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by grammy57 »

Stephen King
Bad Macaw

Post by Bad Macaw »

grammy57 wrote:Stephen King
I don't like Stephen King's writing either! I find it so dull! :roll2: I love horror, but I have to roll my eyes when people recommend his books
I do like some of the film adaptations though!
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Cassandra Clare. I simply don't like her writing, but then there was also all the drama about possible plagiarism and stuff and yeah, not a big fan of hers.
Bad Macaw

Post by Bad Macaw »

Bandersnatch wrote:Cassandra Clare. I simply don't like her writing, but then there was also all the drama about possible plagiarism and stuff and yeah, not a big fan of hers.
Never read anything by her. But from a quick google search, I can tell it's not one of the genres I like...
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Post by moonshoes »

Bandersnatch wrote:Cassandra Clare. I simply don't like her writing, but then there was also all the drama about possible plagiarism and stuff and yeah, not a big fan of hers.
I second this. I've actually come to the point where my hate for her books has become almost irrational. I can't help it, I just really, really dislike her books.
Bad Macaw

Post by Bad Macaw »

[/quote]
I second this. I've actually come to the point where my hate for her books has become almost irrational. I can't help it, I just really, really dislike her books.[/quote]

Hahaha the irrational comment made me think of Sophie Hanna and the "new" "Poirot" "books".

I'm a really REALLY big fan of Agatha Christie. So when I heard somebody would be writing new Poirot books, I had mixed feelings. I ended up reading the first one, I WANTED so much to have new Poirot stories...What a disappointment. I HATED everything about the book.

After that, people have told me "but hey, her other mystery books are really good!" and I'm just like
NO
NOOOOOOOOO
NO!
:hand:
NO.
NEVER.
NO.
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Post by moonshoes »

To be fair, it's really hard to top Agatha Christie, haha. Also, I hate it when a series of books is continued by another author. It almost never works out and only serves to make you dislike the auhor who continued the series.
Bad Macaw

Post by Bad Macaw »

ah! So true! I've been trying to find mysteries like Agatha Christie's for years, even posted recently on the recommendations forum, and got nothing! Sure, plenty of mysteries out there, but none like A.C.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>

Post by Bandersnatch »

moonshoes wrote:To be fair, it's really hard to top Agatha Christie, haha. Also, I hate it when a series of books is continued by another author. It almost never works out and only serves to make you dislike the auhor who continued the series.
Which is why Pat Rothfuss and George RR Martin really need to get their freak on lest the same thing happen to their series omg
ah! So true! I've been trying to find mysteries like Agatha Christie's for years, even posted recently on the recommendations forum, and got nothing! Sure, plenty of mysteries out there, but none like A.C.
I'm embarrassed to say I've never read an Agatha Christie book before. :c
I've wanted to for a long time but for some reason I still haven't which is a travesty, really.
Bad Macaw

Post by Bad Macaw »

Which is why Pat Rothfuss and George RR Martin really need to get their freak on lest the same thing happen to their series omg
I've wanted to for a long time but for some reason I still haven't which is a travesty, really.
hahaha and why would you be embarassed?? I've never read Pat Rothfuss or George RR Martin. It just means that we tend to stick to some genres more than others. It also means there are WORLDS of books out there to be read! :D
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Bad Macaw wrote:
hahaha and why would you be embarassed?? I've never read Pat Rothfuss or George RR Martin. It just means that we tend to stick to some genres more than others. It also means there are WORLDS of books out there to be read! :D
Yup. So many books to be read, so little time..
Natalie394
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie394.html

Post by Natalie394 »

Sarah J Maas. I couldn't get into her Throne of Glass series and really didn't enjoy A Court of Thorns and Roses.
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

I absolutely agree with George RR Martin. I've tried several times to get into the Game of Thrones series. But I just can't do it. I feel the same way about a number of other fantasy serieses. My thinking is that if the series is so complicated that I need a handbook or reading guide just to keep track of all the characters and storylines then it ceases to be leisure reading and becomes work. Not exactly the kind of reading I'm looking for.

I also know what you mean about someone else taking over a series and ruining it. I used to love Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, but then her son Todd took it over. His writing was too different, and I despised it. I don't read the series anymore.

The Star Wars fandom is another place where I've run into books that everyone says are wonderful which I despise. One glaring example is Steve Perry's Shadow of the Empire. All of fandom seems to really love that book. I think it's dreadful. I much prefer The Approaching Storm by Allan Dean Foster and The Cestus Deception by Steven Barnes which a lot of the fandom really seems to dislike. To each, their own, I guess.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

moonshoes wrote:
I second this. I've actually come to the point where my hate for her books has become almost irrational. I can't help it, I just really, really dislike her books.
I can make it three!
She has a really odd way of describing things that gets on my nerves... I put down one of her books when she went as far as to describe a simple fork as a "three-pronged" something or other. It's really unfortunate, because I feel like if she had someone to knock her upside the head whenever she starts getting too poetic, her books might actually be interesting instead of distracting.

Return to “Discuss Authors”