Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

Matthew Reilly is one I struggle with understanding why he’s so popular.

I read Ice Station and Temple. To be fair they are page turners but I felt nothing for the characters.

I tried to read Scarecrow and gave up. This blows up and then this person is killed and then this blows up and then these guys are killed. And then this blows up..
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

ReviewerDiksha wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 09:31 Paulo Cohelo. Everyone around me just loved the Alchemist. And everyone was like it the best book ever and all. And when I read that book. Disappointed. It has been overhyped so much! I just dont understand why?
I totally relate. I think it's definitely mind-blowing and exciting when you're younger, but after reading other books it doesn't pack the same punch.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

J. K. Rowling seems to be all the rage now - and have been for over twenty years. I absolutely loathe the Harry Potter series. Consequently, I haven't even attempted anything else of hers.
Almera101
Currently Reading: Aircraft Safety
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almera101.html
Latest Review: An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Post by Almera101 »

Being from the Caribbean sadly I don't really like V.S. Naipaul's work.
Saying that is almost sacrilege because of his prominence in West Indian literature but somehow his works never grew on me.
Nhitra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhitra.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nhitra »

JK Rowling. I get a lot of hate when I say I don't like JK Rowling word but there is something in her work that makes me feel sleepy and give a pretentious feeling.
grgmrn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grgmrn.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by grgmrn »

J. D. Salinger, Susan Sontag, Ernest Hemingway, Samuel R. Delany, E E Cummings, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, to name a few.
sblake26
Currently Reading: The New Jim Crow
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sblake26.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by sblake26 »

I would have to say Gillian Flynn. I really could not get into Gone Girl because her writing style is just not for me.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Ernest Hemingway! And, the worst part, other than that just not liking his writing makes me feel like a reject, is that I've read biographies on him and I think I would have liked the guy so very much! It makes absolutely no sense to me! I don't hate his writing, I just didn't understand why is it supposed to be so great. It always seems very straightforward and factual. He was a war correspondent - he didn't have to go to war, I don't think which means he was a responsible, go-getter type. He had cats. He liked fishing for marlins. I've never read For Whom the Bell Tolls, I think only The Sun Also Rises and some short stories, "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" and "The Old Man and the Sea". I think I read "The Old Man and the Sea" before the others and so I was unprepared for the serious nature of his writing. But, as I said, I think I would have loved the guy! Incidentally, I was giving a Somalian woman a ride home from work one night and we were chatting and I mentioned "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" and she started laughing. I thought it was my pronunciation but she said "No... snows of Kilimanjaro means snows of water..." What?
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Varsha22
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Varsha22 »

Cassandra Claire.
I get so many recommendations to read her books and I've tried multiple times but can't seem to care about any of her work.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

i think its these romance authors. Not Nicholas Sparks but authors like Durjoy Datta and authors who make the romantic genre so childish. girls around here make a big fuzz out of him and I cant stand that.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

J. K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. I can not stand their books/movies. My mom made sure I watch every book based movie. I do not get how people say they are the best. The plots are not that good and most ends up repeating in the later series.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Paulo Coelho. I literally could not get through 'The Alchemist'.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Kayla_Sanders
Currently Reading: Iron Widow
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-sanders.html
Latest Review: Signs in the Rearview Mirror by Kelly Smith

Post by Kayla_Sanders »

Stephen King. Even as a horror fan, that man has a lot of questionable ways of doing things and also what he decides to include in his books.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” – Charles W. Eliot
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

elena armas, her writing style is so bad and consists of telling and barely showing. Always mentions "blue eyes". cant stand the spanish love deception but idk how everyone loves it
inChristalone247
Favorite Book: Midwinter Turns to Spring
Currently Reading: Beyond the Higher Ground
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inchristalone247.html
Latest Review: Midwinter Turns to Spring by Maria Veloso

Post by inChristalone247 »

Bad Macaw wrote: 05 Jan 2017, 10:38
I second this. I've actually come to the point where my hate for her books has become almost irrational. I can't help it, I just really, really dislike her books.[/quote]

Hahaha the irrational comment made me think of Sophie Hanna and the "new" "Poirot" "books".

I'm a really REALLY big fan of Agatha Christie. So when I heard somebody would be writing new Poirot books, I had mixed feelings. I ended up reading the first one, I WANTED so much to have new Poirot stories...What a disappointment. I HATED everything about the book.

After that, people have told me "but hey, her other mystery books are really good!" and I'm just like
NO
NOOOOOOOOO
NO!
:hand:
NO.
NEVER.
NO.
[/quote]
Oh my goodness! This just put me off! How can someone attempt to continue from where Agatha Christie left off?!

Return to “Discuss Authors”