Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

Post by Jesscar6 »

For me its j k Rowling
Don't get me wrong. I love Harry Potter. But I love the films. She's a brilliant story writer but I just can't stand her way of writing.
I've tried reading the books but only managed to get 4 down. Her style of writing just isn't for me. I find it hard to get in to.
Her story ideas are amazing though but I'll stick to the films personally.
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

I didn't know James Petterson uses ghost writers! When I saw the title of this thread my mind immediately went to him because ... ugh. Terrible, bland writing, obvious "twists", just ... so much that doesn't work. Interesting. Maybe I've only struggled through the writing of his employees?

Dan Brown. Can't finish a chapter, his writing is so stale.

Margaret Atwood. Occasionally I've found her to be kind of great, but I usually get stuck on her tortured literary devices.

I'm kind of relieved someone mentioned Tolkien! So much description overload!

But I'll stand behind my Stephen King. I haven't read everything by him because I don't like a lot of sci-fi or fantasy (couldn't finish Dreamcatcher or The Tommyknockers), but the guy is funny and I find his more human-oriented works (Bag of Bones, Big Driver, Secret Window Secret Garden, The Green Mile, Joyland) to be beautifully relatable.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

Gillian Flynn. I don't mind dark books but every single word she writes is just SO depressing.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Stephen King. I liked The Shining, but that was the only one of his books I liked. I feel like there is something sort of predictable to the rest of his books. They just don't get my interest. I listened to a few on audio and kept spacing out. He just doesn't hold my attention very well. I think he is one of those writers whose mind works a certain way that jells really well with people who are also wired similarly, but just doesn't work for people who are wired differently.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Danielle Steele. It always seems as if she is paid by the word, because she restates and restates the same scene over and over and over. I’m not against Romances per se, but can’t read her.

Also can’t stand Agatha Christie. Sorry. She lays all the clues out there then throws in a ridiculous plot twist at the end to throw you off. It’s like on page 300 we find out the butler did it, but we don’t meet the butler until page 299. Can’t do it.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Tbunde5 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 22:33 Danielle Steele. It always seems as if she is paid by the word, because she restates and restates the same scene over and over and over. I’m not against Romances per se, but can’t read her.

Also can’t stand Agatha Christie. Sorry. She lays all the clues out there then throws in a ridiculous plot twist at the end to throw you off. It’s like on page 300 we find out the butler did it, but we don’t meet the butler until page 299. Can’t do it.
Same. I read Steele from time to time though just for the plot. I only read one Christie, the train thing, and oh my ghad it made me dizzy because it's like she detour too much with unnecessary details.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Paulette94
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Paulette94 »

For me its Brian Tracy.
Kindly don't get me wrong but i feel all his books are like repetition of his other books.

Thanks.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

I can't stand Shakespeare. All of his works follow the same general outline. Shakespearian plays are predictable, boring, overrated, and everything I detest. I appreciate his contributions to the English language, but if he were standing in front of me today, I'd ask him "What the hell is wrong with you, and why am I being subjected to this monotonous bullshit?"
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I'm not much of an Agatha Christie fan but a lot of people seem to LOVE her writing immensely
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I can't stand John Green. I remember skimming through one of his books and counting twelve "she/he said" in one page. I thought, an author that can't find an alternative to that word is not for me. Maybe I judged him too fast but it killed my will to read more from him.
Berry :wine:
jbsmith7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jbsmith7 »

Dorothy L. Sayers is an author that writes delightful characters set in the same period of time as Agatha Christies. I find Sayers books fun easy reading with complicated twists and turns. I'm sorry to hear the "new Poirot" series received a poor review.
tripletrouble
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tripletrouble.html
Latest Review: Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by tripletrouble »

Jesscar6 wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 14:34 For me its j k Rowling
Don't get me wrong. I love Harry Potter. But I love the films. She's a brilliant story writer but I just can't stand her way of writing.
I've tried reading the books but only managed to get 4 down. Her style of writing just isn't for me. I find it hard to get in to.
I agree with this partially as I love the movies but I also love the books as they include so much detail that is skipped in the movies. I have tried reading some of her other books though and I didn't like the style of writing at all so I'll agree with you there.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

tripletrouble wrote: 03 May 2018, 05:46
Jesscar6 wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 14:34 For me its j k Rowling
I agree with this partially as I love the movies but I also love the books as they include so much detail that is skipped in the movies. I have tried reading some of her other books though and I didn't like the style of writing at all so I'll agree with you there.
I am a Potterhead myself but I do agree with both of you that i dont like Rowling's style of writing. I just read the books for the sake of knowing the entire story and other details you cant find in the movie. I had to stop reading them once because i really dont like her style of storytelling and instead ask the ones who read it to tell me what really happened.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

Dickens. Oh my god, Dickens. Never have I loathed someone more from just reading their work than I do Dickens.
Aly88
Currently Reading: The Voice of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Aly88 »

Rowling and S. Meyer's just not my cup of tea I suppose. I know that some people can't stand my King, Koontz and Rice obsession either! :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Discuss Authors”