Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

Post by PlanetHauth »

E. L. James :roll2: I read the Fifty Shades trilogy and can't understand why people like it. It's not written well, the relationship is not romantic or healthy (real BDSM is, though), and Anastasia and Christian aren't interesting characters.

Stephanie Meyer is also one I don't understand. She writes poorly, but people rave over it.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

PlanetHauth wrote: 11 May 2018, 00:06 E. L. James :roll2: I read the Fifty Shades trilogy and can't understand why people like it. It's not written well, the relationship is not romantic or healthy (real BDSM is, though), and Anastasia and Christian aren't interesting characters.

Stephanie Meyer is also one I don't understand. She writes poorly, but people rave over it.
Same. I grieve when someone says they love fifty shades of grey and twilight. i think they're the only cases where i would ahve to say that both movie AND book are bad.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
PlanetHauth

Post by PlanetHauth »

briellejee wrote: 11 May 2018, 01:55
PlanetHauth wrote: 11 May 2018, 00:06 E. L. James :roll2: I read the Fifty Shades trilogy and can't understand why people like it. It's not written well, the relationship is not romantic or healthy (real BDSM is, though), and Anastasia and Christian aren't interesting characters.

Same. I grieve when someone says they love fifty shades of grey and twilight. i think they're the only cases where i would ahve to say that both movie AND book are bad.
I agree. The movies are terrible. A friend and I have watched them purely for laughs. I'm glad people have found something they enjoy, but I can't agree with them.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

Stephenie Meyers. I have so many irritations regarding her writing, particularly character development. I also have not enjoyed Nicholas Sparks. I have never actually finished a book, but the few times I've tried to start I can't even make it through a chapter. I enjoy a lot of his movie adaptions though.
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

Back when everyone I knew was reading The Da Vinci Code, I decided I would see what all of the fuss was about. Unfortunately, Dan Brown's story telling left a lot to be desired for me. The hero solved every problem in a page and a half, and all of the outcomes were completely contrived and predictable. While the plot interested me, I could not bring myself to read any of his other novels. They are just too formula for me.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Ugh. Her writing makes me cringe in horror and my eyes bleed.
Berry :wine:
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Danielle Steel - First of all I don't like romance novels, which might have something to do with it. I did try reading a chapter of one of her books once and I just couldn't finish it. Absolutely nothing grabbed me about the book.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
PlanetHauth

Post by PlanetHauth »

strawberrysab wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 16:37
Ugh. Her writing makes me cringe in horror and my eyes bleed.
I agree. To me, it's extremely clear Fifty Shades is a Twilight fanfiction. With terrible characters as your inspiration, you're going to end up with equally terrible characters.
-Bilbo Baggins
SingularityRising
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SingularityRising »

Phillip Paulman
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by heliz_t »

Ian McEwan! No judgement if you love him. I know he's really popular, but I've read a number of his books which had absolutely appalling endings!
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Bill Bryson - author of A Walk in the Woods and several other works.
I hiked the Appalachian Trail and the way he talks about hikers is just insulting at times. I am not a fan, but so many people love him, his work and it's been made into a movie of course.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

palilogy wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 21:04 Bill Bryson - author of A Walk in the Woods and several other works.
I hiked the Appalachian Trail and the way he talks about hikers is just insulting at times. I am not a fan, but so many people love him, his work and it's been made into a movie of course.
I was just gifted a couple of books by Bill Bryson (including A Walk in the Woods) but have yet to read them. I've heard the same conflicting opinions of him, there are some that love his work while others find him insulting. Did you find anything enjoyable in his writing or were you too turned off by his attitude?
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Nora Roberts and James Patterson. And, anybody else who sticks to the same formula in every book.

Also E.L. James. :roll: I just don't see what the big deal is other than "sex sells".
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
stewartje
Currently Reading: Truthwitch
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by stewartje »

Terry Brooks. I read mainly fantasy books and had been told that I would love the Shannara series, but I just can't get into it for some reason.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

Bandersnatch wrote: 05 Jan 2017, 10:07 Cassandra Clare. I simply don't like her writing, but then there was also all the drama about possible plagiarism and stuff and yeah, not a big fan of hers.
I agree! I read the first two books in her Mortal Instruments series and found it to be extremely immature and reliant on countless tropes.
~Roxie~

Return to “Discuss Authors”