Does anyone read classical literature any more?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Does anyone read classical literature any more?

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I enjoy Classics, mostly because they have slower phasing. Contemporary books are rushed and exhilarating. So when I need a leisurely read, classics are the go-to. My favorite Classic novel with languid phasing is 'Anne of Green Gables.'
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
G Duda
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-duda.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by G Duda »

Yeah, plenty of people read classics. You only need to look at the popularity of things like Dracula Daily to see how popular classics still are. Recently, I myself finished reading Dracula, I am finishing reading Les Mis, I am in the process of reading Dante's Inferno, I'm subscribed to an email list for the book Kidnapped by R. L Stevenson, & I've also recently read To the Lighthouse & The Handmaid's Tale.
And speaking of my favourite classic authors, that's gotta be a tie between R.L Stevenson, Oscar Wilde, & Arthur Conan Doyle. Sorry, victor Hugo, you're out.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

I read them rarely these days. I have always enjoyed Charles Dickens and Mark Twain's books and I read philosophy books that are pure classics. Immanuel Kant's books are my personal favourite. These days, I'm reading a lot of Eastern Philosophy.
Runan
mary mcvicker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by mary mcvicker »

I love classic literature, and my favourite author would have to be Dickens - I love his quirky characters and his very atmospheric descriptions of London! Great Expectations is my all-time favourite.

As for Thomas Hardy, I read The Mayor of Casterbridge over lockdown, but I was so devastated by the ending thatI haven't dared to read his other books yet - lol!
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

Undoubtedly. I try to read all the classics from the past. When I’m at the gym, I usually listen to audiobooks of classical work I’ve read. I’m currently re-listening to The Odyssey.
Aroona Kashif
Favorite Author: Ana Huang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroona-kashif.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
fav_author_id: 32219

Post by Aroona Kashif »

Yes, I love to read classical literature. It’s a nice step away from the modern world and it’s really fun.
all’s fair in love and poetry
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: Shades of Rust and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

João Ramos wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 04:34 Undoubtedly. I try to read all the classics from the past. When I’m at the gym, I usually listen to audiobooks of classical work I’ve read. I’m currently re-listening to The Odyssey.
I'm also listening to the Odyssey now, having first read it as a freshman in college in 1998 (and having been massively challenged by it at the time ... I read it simultaneously with Dante's Inferno ... it was an intense ride!). I try so hard to shift my bookshelf toward the classics and pick up all the benefits of these works that have stood up to the test of time. It's hard, in a world where Kindle can so capably deliver me contemporary and historical romance and other genres that are the candy of my reading. Each year I refresh my effort with this by pulling back out the 100 Greatest list around New Years Eve and picking a new target for the year on it. 2024's classic literature book goal for me is Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.
Julia Begeman
Favorite Book: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Currently Reading: Plunder
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-begeman.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Julia Begeman »

I've read some of the classics and I love when they still hold up today. The Secret Garden was one of my favorites, and I enjoyed Little Women and A Tale of Two Cities. Other times, some of the classics seem like they are only known because they were popular in their time and not because of high quality writing.

Return to “Discuss Authors”