Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by Recee Ann »

For me I think gender is not important at all, like me I'm bigender but biologically I'm a female. Whether you're describing situations or you describe feelings it all doesn't matter, what matters is if you are good in what you are doing.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Really? Who's a better writer, men or women?
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Oooh this is interesting...

For me, when it comes to hot and gentle fictional characters, I consider women to be better writer because they engage girls like me to her work. Girls usually fell in love with fictional characters created by women writers. Why? Because us, women, when we write or imagine guys, we base it on our ideal man we want to meet and be with. OMG it makes me giggle😍😅
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

gender doesnt play into how well someone can write, HOWEVER ive seen many instances where men are mysogynistic in their writing which ruins a book in my opinion.
Kidd Essence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kidd-essence.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Kidd Essence »

I don't think it makes a difference. I've read many great novels by both women and men and they were equally great. As long as someone has a great imagination and the conviction to write, it doesn't matter who they are.
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

I can not determine who is a better writer by sex. I determine by their level on interest and the quality of book they write and also, my interest in the book. I love James Patterson Alex cross series but I detest his Women Murder Mystery series just as I like Danielle Steel jewels and dislike a sister like mine, written by her
angelbhengu
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbhengu.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by angelbhengu »

Writing styles are not gender specific. I believe that there is no right or wrong answer to this question because anyone could be a brilliant writer. My list of favourite books is dominated by books written by both men and women.
Drixt456
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drixt456.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Drixt456 »

As for me, I think it depends on if the writer has talent or not. A lot of writers don't have the writing talent that is why their books spend a lot of days on the shelves without people buying it.

The male writers are good at writing about experience, action, mystery and fiction. The female writers are good when it comes to writing about feelings, emotion and romance.
Iyanudaniel0128
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Iyanudaniel0128 »

For me, I'll go with men because I'm a fan of thrillers, crime genre and this is genre where male authors thrive but the romance and fantasy novels I've read, female authors trump in that genre.

So my conclusion is that men authors do better at crime and thrillers while women authors are better at describing emotions and feelings
Alycia Leigh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alycia-leigh.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Alycia Leigh »

Skimming through, some people in this thread seem to be of the opinion men are naturally, inherently better at writing thrillers/crimes and women are naturally better at romance novels. However, I have not yet seen a discussion about why it might be so.

I would invite people to think about the role upbringing plays in that. Girls are often encouraged to enjoy "girly" things and boys are encouraged to enjoy boyish things. If, from a very young age, a girl always hears that women are more emotional and attuned to their feelings, while men are more rational and logical, and sees movies and books where all female characters pride themselves on their appearance and are always busy looking for their knight in shining armour, to what degree does that influence what type of novels the girl winds up writing when she grows up?

You can consider the same situation but with a boy who grows up hearing that feelings and romantic movies/books are for women, and "real men" should like "manly" things like thrillers and crime novels. Again, if the said boy grows up and becomes a crime novelist, to what degree is that influenced by such an upbringing and what are the odds he might have grown up loving romance novels as well, had he been brought up in an environment where the men around him enjoyed romance novels?

Just my two pennies. I would be interested in hearing others' opinions about this.
Lade_96
Currently Reading:
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Lade_96 »

I love thrillers but I can't really say a book is great because it was written by a man or a woman.

Every author has a unique tone of voice they introduce through their writing; the tone can be due to adept research or a vast imagination.

Women are able to describe in details 'people' and men seem to describe 'things' super well but in writing books, what catches my attention isn't who wrote the book but the picture they are able to paint in the simplest way possible.
ilushaRU
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ilushaRU »

Hello everyone, I have looked at several forums in my country. And he concluded that women write better than men. Since men are less interested in books than women, everyone is already addicted to gadgets. Both genders have their pros and cons.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

I think , it depends!
It is better if you write something you know in detail. So women are good writing a women stuff, Men men stuff.
I do not expect women to write how to shave our our beared!
elac
Favorite Book: The Goldfinch
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by elac »

There is no difference as long as they are good writers.
Lily Ahulu
Currently Reading: Jet Girl

Post by Lily Ahulu »

Women any day

Return to “Discuss Authors”