Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
whiskeyguy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by whiskeyguy »

Personally I cannot read stuff written by women. I simply haven't found any that write in a style I identify with. It's the same with music... don't really like many songs sung by women. I don't have anything against them (I'm actually very fond of women) but that's just how it is.

Atlas Shrugged is the only book I can remember enjoying that was written by a woman.
pw2912

Post by pw2912 »

Presumably you mean better writer.............
Men undoubtedly. :lol:
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

This thread intrigued me enough to start another. Please read the thread Guess who wrote this, and please reply on it!
TIGERSPRITE

Post by TIGERSPRITE »

Kathe wrote:It all depends upon what you are looking for in a novel.
I don't choose books based upon the gender of the author.
I choose books based on whether they sound interesting to me.
I have read books by men that can be overwhelmingly emotional. I have read books by women that have completely lacked emotion.

This tells me it depends on the individual, and not the gender.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

Though generally I think that men are more logical and women feel more deeply than men (but this doesn't mean that women are not thinking logically or men are not sensitive), in case of authors, they are either good or bad and this has nothing to do with their gender.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

PhotonicGuy wrote:... women feel more deeply than men...
Perhaps, in our culture, they are just allowed to show it more in personal life, and that carries over into their writing.
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I'm amazed people actually pick a book based on the gender of the author ...
totally irrelevant IMO & very limiting. For myself I only read up on an author anyway if I have read a book and liked it and on occasion I have been gobsmacked to discover the author was female when I would have assumed male & vice versa. Likewise with nationality.
I find it a bit sad that someone would close themselves off from experiencing the view point of the other half of the human race.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:I'm amazed people actually pick a book based on the gender of the author ...
totally irrelevant IMO & very limiting. For myself I only read up on an author anyway if I have read a book and liked it and on occasion I have been gobsmacked to discover the author was female when I would have assumed male & vice versa. Likewise with nationality.
I find it a bit sad that someone would close themselves off from experiencing the view point of the other half of the human race.
Well you would say that....you're a woman :wink:

Seriously though, you do have a point about not limiting yourself, i have certainly read fantastic books, as well as dire books, from both male and female authors and the gender would not influence me when buying a book, i just think in the case of thrillers, i think men make the superior writer and i stick by that.
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:
Fran wrote:I'm amazed people actually pick a book based on the gender of the author ...
Well you would say that....you're a woman :wink:

StephenKingman ...... I do believe you are actually paraphrasing a woman there ... Christine Keeler if memory serves .... and she knew a thing or two about thrillers! :shock:
lukebodell

Post by lukebodell »

Of course, If we look back, the vast majority of writers have been men; so the very fact that we remember all of them and not women either shows that they have been better, or is a reflection of the fact that the world has been dominated by males.

Also to consider is that, even though females make up a small minority of writers, this does not mean that everyone of them has not released something fantastic, and thus have a sort of better quality per capita if you will.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

Agreed. I would never pick a book, of any form, based on the gender of a certain sex, but then again i am woman. But apparently it's so easy for men to do it. How very reassuring. What century are we in again? :roll:
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
smellymonkey

Post by smellymonkey »

lukebodell wrote:so the very fact that we remember all of them and not women either shows that they have been better, or is a reflection of the fact that the world has been dominated by males.
Its definatly due to the fact the man have dominated the world of literature...and most of the arts...and to be fair most of society.
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

COldf1re, I think that women are more perceptive to emotions and feelings than men. I think that this is not necessarily about our culture, it's about how women and men are "built". But I want to stress again that this is a rough generalization and there are many exceptions.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

PhotonicGuy wrote:COldf1re, I think that women are more perceptive to emotions and feelings than men. I think that this is not necessarily about our culture, it's about how women and men are "built". But I want to stress again that this is a rough generalization and there are many exceptions.
After thinking about it for a while, I think you may well be right.
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
Hikkomijian

Post by Hikkomijian »

As for me it's no difference, I don't judge books by authors' sex.
But nowadays everything is based on old stereotype, that women mainly write romances and thus most people (mainly men) don't want to read books written by women, because they don't gonna read books with „ the sweet and makes tears end”. Boys don't want to read the books of women, what is bound with some youthful phobia (luckily not perpetual), which is also grounded on the stereotype, and for example that was the reason why Author of Harry Potter has written her name by initials.
Of course, as I mentioned, it's only stereotype. Currently (opposite to earlier centuries excluding XX- but it's only my humble opinion) women can write splendidly.It's clear, that their books are a little different from male authors' books, what is result of our anatomy (i mean structure of brain), but it is not so big difference to perceive books of one gender for more valuable. Because among both men and women there are valuable or feeble writers.

Return to “Discuss Authors”