Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by tsh1001 »

I dont get this question.... writing isnt "gender specific" it is dependent upon the PERSON writing and the AUDIENCE. There is not a "men do it better" or "women do it better" answer. What an absurd forum topic... :roll:
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Utter tosh. Writing ability isn't inscribed in the X/Y gene.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I think that both sexes are good. I tend to agree with StephenKingman USUALLY. But I would say there are particular authors of both sexes who excel in both action and thought. Dostoyevsky is one example. Of the books I have read, Crime and Punishment comes foremost when I consider psychological related books. Then on the other hand, Willa Cather’s My Antonia has a good amount of both as well, balancing the thoughts and comprehension of the main characters with the events of the story.
-Thea M. Frederick
TheNeouReader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theneoureader.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by TheNeouReader »

tsh1001 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 16:15 I dont get this question.... writing isnt "gender specific" it is dependent upon the PERSON writing and the AUDIENCE. There is not a "men do it better" or "women do it better" answer. What an absurd forum topic... :roll:
EXACTLY oh my goodness :techie-studyinggray:
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

celiacloureiro wrote: 11 Mar 2010, 21:27 Personaly, I believe man are better in describing situations, women describing feelings.

It's always complicated to find a women telling about a situation without, simply, refering to the character's feelings, as for men, they describe the situation and take the character back, to an intimate place, where he'll be free to re-think the occurred.

Still, in general:

Who's a better writter?
I disagree. Gender doesn't matter. Not all men authors describe situations well and not all women authors are good at expressing feelings. As long as the author is talented and creates a great book, gender is irrelevant.
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

Men and Women are both excellent writers.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I grew up in a house that had mostly classics and classics were written mostly by men. I wondered later on in life whether or not this caused a bias towards male writers. More than likely, it did. They say that the only Greek female writer or poet was Sappho. Some monopoly on female writers - maybe they do/did write and the writing is hidden away somewhere. So, to answer the question, I would have to say men are better writers because I am a brainwashed stereotyping bigot and a product of a male chauvinist society. Which brings to mind, oddly enough, a quote from a book I recently reviewed entitled Letters to Sis: Memoirs of a Soldier where one guy advises the other guy he should listen to female singers because "You've got to be a girl to get a girl." "That's tricky"
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

Each author has his or her own way of writing. To me, it is not the question of "who's the better writer" but rather the question is "Is the author writing within his/her element?" It should not be a question of gender, each person has their perspective. Each person has a different focus based on their experiences. I have known many women who are amazing at describing situations without emotions. I have also known several men who are very in tune with their emotions. People offer different perspectives and I think that is amazing! If we all had the same perspective, and the same focuses, life would be rather boring. I think a woman is perfectly capable of describing situations and men are perfectly capable of writing about emotions. It depends of the PERSON, not the gender.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I normally judge the book, and not who wrote it.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Well anyone who's courageous enough to write is the best. That story about Rowling being rejected 11 times. Jesus that's too much for me. Getting rejected even once will pull me down so hard that i will never ever dare to approach another publisher. Men automatically have the previlage to write and publish, in my country, women are still kinda oppressed in families and i don't think all of them will be allowed to do as they wish, if one of them is to write.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

It's irrelevant. The gulf of differences between two different women or two different men are far more significant than the inherent differences between men and women as a whole. Any person of any gender can write an excellent novel in any genre
inmepyjamies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inmepyjamies.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by inmepyjamies »

Both are! There was a time when it would be unseemly to think of a woman writing a novel. Men, as we know in history, were always put in the forefront and it makes me wonder what stories have been lost because of that. However, now it's different. I believe in every genre, both are equal. I mean look at Mary Shelley's Frankenstein! Wow! Or Bram stoker's Dracula. Both amazing stories. Genetics doesn't matter, the story does.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

I believe that, on average, women are better writers than men. The point is, if you were to rank the top 50 writers of all time, the overwhelming majority would be male writers.
Mountainbreeze23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountainbreeze23.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Mountainbreeze23 »

I think saying that women are better at certain genres, and men at others is not always accurate. J.K. Rowling was wise not to use her first name as many people look at the author's name/ gender and decide what the book is like even before reading it.
ganthercage
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ganthercage »

I think it never depends on sex ,, but with our societies the personality that judge the people and their pen

Return to “Discuss Authors”