Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

Gender can never determine how best one writes. There are much more characteristics that make an author good.
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

Generally I end up reading more male authors because I enjoy sci-fi, which has a higher ratio of male authors. When it comes to other genres I don't see much of a difference between the sexes. One interesting issue I have noticed is that it seems both men and women to have more difficulty writing a well developed female character.

My theory is that male characters can be written with surface level motivations and get a pass, but female characters with those same surface level motivations end up feeling like they're less developed. Maybe women are in general more complex so they are harder to write.
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

I feel men and women are good at different genres. Top mystery or thriller novels are almost always men and top romance or fantasy are almost always women.
It all works together in the end because all genres are important. This doesn't mean men are better writers though, it boils down to talent.
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

My favorite book series are probably The Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter. C.S. Lewis says outright that he was writing in the style of Edith Nesbit. You don't get Narnia without Nesbit. J.K. Rowling mentions being influenced by C.S. Lewis. Potter and Narnia are both seven book series with mythical creatures and magic. We all inspire each other regardless of gender.
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

I have to say that both are equally good. There can be no one who can be said to be objectively better.
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by TusharJoshi »

Greatly assessed. Men describe situations better and women describe feelings better. Someone who can strengthen this is what makes a great author. Sidney Sheldon is a prime example of this.
Conjurour
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Conjurour »

It surely depends! Stella Gibbons was fabulous in Cold Comfort Farm as a female writer, just like how Mervyn Peake shines in Gormenghast as a male author.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

On a macro level, I would say women because they tend to be more empathetic. Women have been better able to portray male characters than men portraying women in their books. This is a generalization though, which is why you should disregard this comment.
Robinlloyd17
Currently Reading: Fair cronies and felonies
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinlloyd17.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Robinlloyd17 »

I personally feel one is not better than the other, just different. Men and women see things from different perspectives so it comes down to what the reader likes best.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

I don't belive that a man or a woman is better suited to write books. I do belive, however, that in some type of books, a man's or a woman's perspetive is more valuable and portraites a scene better.

Return to “Discuss Authors”