Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by Van112 »

I don't think the ability to write good books that can take one's breath away depends on the gender. I don't think it has anything to do with it at all. I believe we all have the capability to write despite our gender differences. What matters more is our objective in writing.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
AdlerOlivia11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adlerolivia11.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by AdlerOlivia11 »

First and foremost, I certainly do not think that either men or women are objectively better writers as a whole. That's an enormous blanket statement! It also appears to be conflating sex with gender, and seems to presume a heteronormative reality-- can we even ask a question like that without specifying if we are talking about people who identify as "male" or "female", or people who are born with those sexes, or both? What about LGBTQ writers?

Even if we restricted the conversation to specifically heterosexual, cis gendered men and women, it's a fraught question. Primarily, it comes down to the individual. The stereotypes of women writing feelings better and men writing action or situations better do not hold water-- some male authors are extremely sensitive and great at writing emotion and some women could write a swashbuckling tale of bullfighting just as well as Hemingway. That said, I believe there are real differences in the psychosexual experience of men and women, to say nothing of social, political, and economic realities that can result in truly different understandings of the world. Because of this, I think male authors and female authors often do strike somewhat different tones, or at least, seem attuned to different themes.

I would be very curious to see which of the two writes more characters of the opposite gender. My totally unresearched feeling is that perhaps male authors write more main female characters than female authors write main male characters, but that may just be because we are more flooded with books written by men (women and minority groups having been somewhat shut out of the literary scene more frequently than men) so I may simply have an exposure bias to books by men.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I don't believe male authors are better than female authors or female authors are better than male authors. I don't believe the quality of a book, depends on the sex but the imagination of the writer. The quality of a book depends on the author knowing his or her talents and developing it.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I think both sexes are great at different styles of writing. Usually romance, ghost stories, and historical fiction, I prefer women. I think for men it depends mostly on the amount of talent rather than the genre.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
afwright
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by afwright »

Thats a hard one. My personal favourite author is a woman, however I very much enjoy a lot of male works. I don't think a sex wins this.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I don't believe in one better then the other.
Even in poetry I have read amazing writing by both women and men.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

Each individual person is so different that you can't compare writing with gender. I will say though that it seems like many male authors don't write female characters dimensionally enough, but that doesn't have to do with "men" being "lesser writers".
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Well, interesting! I think this topic is a very controversial topic we have to deliberate on. Before I begin, there is a popular saying that "what men can do women can even do better." So, as for me, it is just a popular saying to encourage women to also venture into new things, but there are many things or areas women can't venture or compete with the other sex.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Kirbylini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirbylini.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Kirbylini »

For the most part I like male writers better. Sarah J. Maas and Robin Hobb and the only female writers I've liked. The rest focus too much on romance. Maas definitely focuses on romance too, but her writing makes me devour every sentence as quick as possible so I don't notice it as much.
Rob Graden
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rob Graden »

Psychological research says that, in general, women are better with language than men. This finding would predict that women are better writers, or maybe more natural at it. On the other hand, the attempt to stereotype is indeed sexist. Dunno; is Katherine Mansfield a better writer than D.H. Lawrence? Both had the same passionate concerns, both wrote beautifully, and both battled with TB.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Whew, this will get controversial, and it's interesting reading other people's responses. Something I love about YA is that it's pretty much dominated by women and female writers/authors have had a harder time getting ahead in their careers due to misogyny. That being said, I prefer writers who are women.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I really don't know how to answer this question. I think it depends even on the country of origin of the author, their experience with writing, and so many other factors. I think there are more published male authors out there. So, it's probably natural that more of the good authors I can think of happen to be men.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I do not think that gender influences writing ability, but I have observed that women have more imagination.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I don't believe you can say either gender is completely better at one thing than the other. I think it comes down to what society finds acceptable for each, and then that field will be dominated by that gender. As individuals I think we all have our own skills and weaknesses. There are certainly successful women and men in various fields, but there are also unsuccessful ones.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

No preferance. As long as the story is well told and characters are well thought out, it makes no difference. I have noticed it's mostly women that write erotica though

Return to “Discuss Authors”