Who's your favorite black/African author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Who's your favorite black/African author?

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

So many!!! Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Bessie Head, NoViolet Bulawayo, Frantz Fanon, Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, Brittney Cooper, Stuart Hall etc
PughJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pughj.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by PughJ »

The late Margaret Ogola. The River and the Source is an example of some of the finest historical fiction ever.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Americana and Zikora are absolute gems. Maya Angelou, her poems are life changing, especially her memoir 'I know why the caged bird sings." I love Toni Morrison too!
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

Cswrawr wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 14:26 I would second Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, I loved Americanah.
I am going to continue to pile on and also recommend Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie for Purple Hibiscus and even her nonfiction.

Abu Daré is also worth a read
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

I don't have a favourite. I have favourites. Notable among them are:

Chinua Achebe
Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie
Ngugi Wa Thiongo
Quizlit4Stephen
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Quizlit4Stephen »

I really enjoy Akwaeke Emezi's work, very powerful, vivid and daring writer
Stevie Hostetter
Currently Reading: The Only Good Indians
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevie-hostetter.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Stevie Hostetter »

I recently read parts from "Notes of a Native Son" by James Baldwin and loved it. I have not read anything more by James, so I cannot say if he is my favorite.

I have also read "The Skin I'm In" and "The Life I'm In" by Sharon G. Flake and loved those books. However, those are the only two books I have read, so I also cannot say if she is my favorite author.

I read "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas, which was a bit hard to read. However, I enjoyed it as well. I have only read that book, so I cannot say if Angie is my favorite author, either.

I just finished "Dear Martin" by Nic Stone and thought it was a beautiful book filled with many racial issues these days. It was a very emotional book, but I loved it regardless. I have not read any more of Nic's books, however.

My friend Nathan Hill wrote his first poetry book called "Rebirth", and he has a few more that I love. His books are filled with emotion, and as his friend, I can say that he is someone I also look forward to reading.

I also have to say, Phillis Wheatley. I have not been able to find a book by her but she was an inspiration and her writings inspired some of my own writing in my poetry novel.

I just recently started reading many African American books this year and have found them all very emotional and hard to read, but through it all, I have found some authors that make excellent books, which makes me like them all. I do not have a solid favorite one, though. I think they are all outstanding authors.

Stevie
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

There are so many of them! But as a literature major, I would go for Chinua Achebe. His writing style often blended traditional storytelling with modern techniques, and he infused his works with Igbo cultural elements and proverbs. He was committed to giving voice to African perspectives and narratives that had been belittled by colonial literature.

Thingd Fall Apart is his best renowned work, till to this date. Again, the central theme of the novel revolves around the title itself. This phrase explains the breakdown of traditional Igbo society during colonial influence.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."

Return to “Discuss Authors”